joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season Finale :(

Ji

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in some ways reminiscient of the late feb back to back snow events we had.  nice frontogenesis at 850mb.. skinny though. not sure I'd be confident till it's falling other than many models showing it now.

post-1615-0-26166600-1395600682_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-45954800-1395600687_thumb.pn

One question...Why don't all NWSFO use this product? Is it just LWX? For example on Mount Holly's site they only have the Total snow forecast map, and not the experimental probabilities. Thanks and if this has been answered before, my apologies. I didnt get involved in the debate in the other thread.

We are one of 6 pilot project offices. I'm the project leader for the new winter stuff at Sterling. This year we implemented these experimentally. This spring, summer and fall we will make adjustments to the products, next winter there is a good possibility they will spread to the other offices within Eastern Region. We are the tested at LWX. Hopefully the concept will spread to all NWS offices but we are years away from this.

in some ways reminiscient of the late feb back to back snow events we had. nice frontogenesis at 850mb.. skinny though. not sure I'd be confident till it's falling other than many models showing it now.

The strip has been showing in various forms quite a bit. Enough to take it seriously. Hard to pinpoint exactly where if it does indeed develop. My best unbiased wag is Rockville. We're a band magnet town now.

We are one of 6 pilot project offices. I'm the project leader for the new winter stuff at Sterling. This year we implemented these experimentally. This spring, summer and fall we will make adjustments to the products, next winter there is a good possibility they will spread to the other offices within Eastern Region. We are the tested at LWX. Hopefully the concept will spread to all NWS offices but we are years away from this.

Quick suggestion to kill all the uninformed misinterpretation: Instead of having a seperate Min map and a Max map, put the two maps on the same graphic side by side. This will mean that people can't just link to one and say "this is what is going to happen" - the public is forced to see both at once.

The strip has been showing in various forms quite a bit. Enough to take it seriously. Hard to pinpoint exactly where if it does indeed develop. My best unbiased wag is Rockville. We're a band magnet town now.

yeah you can see it on the GFS too.  i think these features tend to be somewhat transient though. blow up blow down types of deals.  it's an interesting way to get snow without being impacted heavily by the main low itself.

and for the record the NAM is not showing this same scenario.. in case people try to spin the nam into being first or something lol.

post-1615-0-55874800-1395601175_thumb.pn

yeah you can see it on the GFS too. i think these features tend to be somewhat transient though. blow up blow down types of deals. it's an interesting way to get snow without being impacted heavily by the main low itself.

and for the record the NAM is not showing this scenartio at all.. in case people try to spin the nam into being first or something lol.

NAM is on an island for sure. Last nights euro member output had at least 30 members showing 1"+. Many 2" solutions. Obviously accum snow is tricky but there's a lot of support overall a some sort of event here. If it comes down hot and heavy it could stick between 8am-2pm. Looks like some light stuff happens in the previous panel. It would be one of those things where you better grab a pic quick because if you wait 15 minutes too long it will be gone.

yeah you can see it on the GFS too.  i think these features tend to be somewhat transient though. blow up blow down types of deals.  it's an interesting way to get snow without being impacted heavily by the main low itself.

and for the record the NAM is not showing this same scenario.. in case people try to spin the nam into being first or something lol.

attachicon.gifgfs_z850_uv_vort_east_19.png

I wonder who that was directed toward?   lol

hey, the NAM was the first to show decent qpf solely from the u/l action....how it did it you can argue over, but the fact that it was first to throw up the red flag first (admittedly out of its range,whatever that is???) shows that it can sometimes pick up meso-scale features at the end of its run before some other models

of course, it hasn't happened yet, but now the Euro's hat is in the ring for qpf approaching .5" so if the NAM fails, so does the Euro, and it won't matter why

Quick suggestion to kill all the uninformed misinterpretation: Instead of having a seperate Min map and a Max map, put the two maps on the same graphic side by side. This will mean that people can't just link to one and say "this is what is going to happen" - the public is forced to see both at once.

I see your point there. We currently list them min/most likely / max for ease of use and to show the goal posts.

I wonder who that was directed toward?   lol

hey, the NAM was the first to show decent qpf solely from the u/l action....how it did it you can argue over, but the fact that it was first to throw up the red flag first (admittedly out of its range,whatever that is???) shows that it can sometimes pick up meso-scale features at the end of its run before some other models

of course, it hasn't happened yet, but now the Euro's hat is in the ring for qpf approaching .5" so if the NAM fails, so does the Euro, and it won't matter why

that's not true really.  almost all the precip focus has been from the upper level trough.  this is the big problem with a lot of snow lovers--they don't care about facts or reality.

that's not true really.  almost all the precip focus has been from the upper level trough.  this is the big problem with a lot of snow lovers--they don't care about facts or reality.

you are misunderstanding what I pretty clearly wrote and that is qpf amounts

it was the NAM that bumped the qpf amounts first...."the NAM was the first to show decent qpf solely from the u/l action"

the Euro had the coastal getting us with higher qpf but the NAM came first with the higher u/l qpf numbers....the rest of them were pretty paltry

aww Ian, you deleted the moron post

it was OK, I had a response    lol

look, we're all weenies here except for a few mets and I believe that anyone who uses it is a derogatory way is hypocritical

No, I think there's a difference between weather lovers and weather weenies.  The weather lovers enjoy weather but are realistic.  The weenies will grasp at any and all straws.

Archived