CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Season Finale :(

Ji

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was nice. I got a little sunburn on my neck.

Nothing has broken our way snow wise. Models have been super steady. I'm ready to hit the submit button on my snow totals and wait for the mod nino / -nao winter in 8 months

don't need sun where I come from to have a red neck

Nothing has broken our way snow wise. Models have been super steady. I'm ready to hit the submit button on my snow totals and wait for the mod nino / -nao winter in 8 months

Yeah.. snow tv isn't quite as interesting in late March as in early December. At this pt maybe just keep hoping it speeds up to maximize whatever falls before dawn.

I read a long article/blog pertaining to projected Enso conditions over the next year and some are pointing toward a strong El Niño with similar effects to the winter of 97-98. I think it's premature to forecast a record Enso this far out but who knows. Light to moderate Enso would be good for winter next year but too much of anything is bad. Any thoughts on Enso strength?

I read a long article/blog pertaining to projected Enso conditions over the next year and some are pointing toward a strong El Niño with similar effects to the winter of 97-98. I think it's premature to forecast a record Enso this far out but who knows. Light to moderate Enso would be good for winter next year but too much of anything is bad. Any thoughts on Enso strength?

We were talking Nino for this winter in April of last year. Anything is possible but we're neg neutral now. Calling for a strong Nino next year is Bastardi'ish. If we go 1.5+ for djf I would surprised.

Strong nino's are pretty uncommon. It's sketchy at best to go big with an 8 month lead. We'll have a running thread all summer on the topic.

Raw GFS keeps us close to freezing on Wed. I'm taking the over but that would be something.  MOS is 41.. so perhaps like m/u 30s.

MOS is semi-useless at this point due to the fact it purposely biases towards climo at the end. Couple that with such an anomalous cold shot and I'd take the raw output + DCA bias over MOS.

Edit: So, 32-34 would be my guess at this point.

MOS is semi-useless at this point due to the fact it purposely biases towards climo at the end. Couple that with such an anomalous cold shot and I'd take the raw output + DCA bias over MOS.

Although it failed in the storm this week I'd probably at least run to the middle. Likely seeing a cold bias at range still with raw temps plus it should be fairly sunny on Wed. This isn't as cold of an air mass either I don't believe.  I wouldn't take MOS verbatim per se.. though NWS appears to be (or at least not basing too heavily on just the GFS). We can check back on these temps later though.. I'd be shocked if the whole area isn't warmer than this:

post-1615-0-62616100-1395551850_thumb.pn

Nice analysis/explanation from Mount Holly-

Good morning. We wanted to show you the pieces of the puzzle through a water vapor satellite image valid at the start of the 00z model run time. In general the warmer and drier the air mass is, the more deeper (or closer to the surface this image can see). We also superimposed on the map the land based radiosonde (raob) sites with the four letter identifiers. So here we go! Arrow 1: This is a Pacific storm. This wont get into the raob network until after our ocean low has passed. What this will do is pump up the ridge along the west coast and force the short waves (energy) to dig, or dive south from their present locations. Arrow 2: This piece of energy will start initiating the low pressure system in the southeast United States. Arrow 3 (pointing toward that purple X). That is the piece of energy coming from near the North Pole that will phase with the British Columbia (arrow 2) energy and cause our low pressure system to rapidly intensify off the eastern seaboard. This piece of energy was just getting into Canada last night. The next and subsequent sounding model runs, it will be better sampled and give us a clearer picture of what to expect Tuesday and Tuesday night. There is still satellite and aircraft observations that make it into the computer models, so its not a totally data void area when these systems are not over land. But every bit of sampling helps and this should narrow the gap between the model solutions 

post-1005-0-03991500-1395575749_thumb.jp

Nice analysis/explanation from Mount Holly-

Good morning. We wanted to show you the pieces of the puzzle through a water vapor satellite image valid at the start of the 00z model run time. In general the warmer and drier the air mass is, the more deeper (or closer to the surface this image can see). We also superimposed on the map the land based radiosonde (raob) sites with the four letter identifiers. So here we go! Arrow 1: This is a Pacific storm. This wont get into the raob network until after our ocean low has passed. What this will do is pump up the ridge along the west coast and force the short waves (energy) to dig, or dive south from their present locations. Arrow 2: This piece of energy will start initiating the low pressure system in the southeast United States. Arrow 3 (pointing toward that purple X). That is the piece of energy coming from near the North Pole that will phase with the British Columbia (arrow 2) energy and cause our low pressure system to rapidly intensify off the eastern seaboard. This piece of energy was just getting into Canada last night. The next and subsequent sounding model runs, it will be better sampled and give us a clearer picture of what to expect Tuesday and Tuesday night. There is still satellite and aircraft observations that make it into the computer models, so its not a totally data void area when these systems are not over land. But every bit of sampling helps and this should narrow the gap between the model solutions 

attachicon.gifmt holly wv.jpg

great points and explanation is outstanding, if there was going to be any vacillations it will occur shorty in the models, My memory goes to the VD storm several years ago!!

Archived