amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Season Finale :(

Ji

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Change the middle one to RUSH and your good.

La Villa Strangiato has gotta be single most technically sound/ perfect rock and roll song of music ever produced... those guys are super human.. I love the 93 talk... that is the storm that officially kicked off this hobby/ habit for me... one of the things that stands out is the number of fatalities attributed to the storm... it was like two or three hundred.  it is sad.. but phenomenal.. and maybe there wasn't wide spread three foot plus amounts... but the 18"+ contour... I dont think that has been rivaled east coast wise in recorded history.  

If we see something anywhere close to that with this storm...we could be get what TN/OH got in that storm... even if it is east... but I dont think that the potential is anywhere near that of 93...  I remember the NWS was issuing high confidence forecast for foot plus snow fall like 3-5 days out.  And the guidance back then was now where near what we have today... that was a crazy signal.

I really like how much better organized the 00z GFS is vs the 18z GFS. CMC also looking like a strong nor'easter. Now just tick west another notch or two!

If the organization signature sticks for the next couple model runs, we could be golden.

Wonder what kind of coastal erosion north us us will get though...

I really like how much better organized the 00z GFS is vs the 18z GFS. CMC also looking like a strong nor'easter. Now just tick west another notch or two!

zz

If the organization signature sticks for the next couple model runs, we could be golden.

GEFS precip field looks much more west than 18z

I recently started following the threads here for winter storms and I have learned a lot. I've never even considered posting anything b/c I know far less than ya'll, but I just read something from Mike Masco that I haven't seen mentioned here. That is, the ocean temperatures and their impact on the track of the storm. If I understand correctly, the water is currently very cold immediately off-shore but then quickly warms up. He said that a storm tends to tap into warm water for energy until it becomes large enough to sustain itself. Because of the current profile of temperatures in the Atlantic he believes a coastal storm is still likely despite the models showing more of an OTS solution. My immediate question was this: Do the various models not account for this effect that ocean temperatures can have on the track? I'm interested to hear what ya'll have to say about this.

Hoping for a lot of snow down here in RVA to make up for the most frustrating winter of my life!

Hopefully a whole s-load of coastal erosion.  Tornadoes in Florida would be good for us too... as progged now though.. it doesnt look like it gets it act together fast enough for that.  Anyone ever read about the 11 foot storm surge from the Derecho in Florida from the 93 storm?  

My immediate question was this: Do the various models not account for this effect that ocean temperatures can have on the track? I'm interested to hear what ya'll have to say about this.

Mesoscale models will handle that sort of thing better than globals, but we're not close to the ideal time frame for meso's yet.

I recently started following the threads here for winter storms and I have learned a lot. I've never even considered posting anything b/c I know far less than ya'll, but I just read something from Mike Masco that I haven't seen mentioned here. That is, the ocean temperatures and their impact on the track of the storm. If I understand correctly, the water is currently very cold immediately off-shore but then quickly warms up. He said that a storm tends to tap into warm water for energy until it becomes large enough to sustain itself. Because of the current profile of temperatures in the Atlantic he believes a coastal storm is still likely despite the models showing more of an OTS solution. My immediate question was this: Do the various models not account for this effect that ocean temperatures can have on the track? I'm interested to hear what ya'll have to say about this.

Hoping for a lot of snow down here in RVA to make up for the most frustrating winter of my life!

I dont think that the ocean temps really affect the track that much.. for that you want to look at the larger scale steering mechanism in the atmosphere like areas of high pressure, fronts, mid to upper level troughs, upper level lows, etc ...  I think, but I am not 100% sure though that the contrasting Ocean temps will enhance baroclinic instability..that is if it take the right track... which needs to be a little further west than currently progged. 

From WPC-

THE CROSS-POLAR FLOW WHICH HAS PERIODICALLY REACHED INTO NORTH
AMERICA SINCE JANUARY SEEMS DESTINED FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE
TRANSPORT OF ARCTIC AIR INTO MUCH OF THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN
UNITED STATES TUESDAY. WITH HEIGHTS STILL LOW ACROSS THE EAST IN
THE WAKE OF THE COLD BLAST DURING SUNDAY AND MONDAY IN THE SHORT
RANGE, THE STAGE WILL BE SET FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF SNOW AND ICE
WITH THE CLIPPER SYSTEM HERALDING TUESDAY'S OUTBREAK. IT SEEMS
THAT THE CLIPPER WILL GAIN ENOUGH AMPLITUDE TO SIPHON SOME
SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE AND ENERGY CROSSING THE SOUTHEAST FROM THE
GULF OF MEXICO EARLY TUESDAY. MOST OF THE GLOBAL NUMERICAL MODELS
INDICATE THAT THE SLIGHT NEGATIVE-TILT TO THE CLIPPER WILL SET UP
A DUMBBELLING WITH THE GULF ENERGY TOWARD EVENING TUESDAY
SOMEWHERE OFFSHORE BETWEEN CAPE HATTERAS AND THE ATLANTIC
"BENCHMARK" OF 40N/70W. THIS BINARY INTERACTION--OR FUJIWHARA
EFFECT--IS A PARTICULARLY ENERGIZING PHENOMENON. BY EARLY
WEDNESDAY MORNING, A SUB-970MB SURFACE CYCLONE IS LIKELY NEAR THE
BENCHMARK AFTER THE BOMBING PHASE
. HOW FAR SOUTHWEST THE BOMBING
OCCURS IS CRITICAL FOR THE SENSIBLE WEATHER FROM THE CAROLINAS TO
NEW ENGLAND. THE EARLIER/FARTHER SOUTHWEST, THE GREATER THE
CHANCES FOR SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER FROM THE CAROLINAS AND
SOUTHERN MID ATLANTIC ALL THE WAY THROUGH MAINE.... 

Mount Holly AFD-

THE MODELS DID NOT BACK OFF, IN FACT BECAME MORE BULLISH, WITH
THE OFFSHORE LOW FOR TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. ANYONE WHO HAS
PLANS THAT WILL BE AFFECTED BY ADVERSE WEATHER TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY ARE
ADVISED TO FOLLOW THE TRACK OF THIS LOW IN THE DAYS AHEAD. THIS
COULD VERY WELL BRING MULTI FACETED CONCERNS FROM HEAVY SNOW TO
WINDS AND TIDAL FLOODING.

THE GFS AND ECMWF INITIALIZATION DIDNT IMPRESS AND WHILE THE ERRORS
WERE NOT BLATANT, THERE WERE MULTIPLE 10-20M ONES IN CANADA AND
ALASKA CENTERED ON THE REX RIDGE BEING STRONGER AND RIDGING ENTERING
BC. THE SIGNIFICANT SHORT WAVES ARE ENTERING THE DENSER RAOB
NETWORKS AND WE WILL HAVE TO WATCH THE NEXT ONE TO TWO SOUNDING
RUNS TO SEE IF THE 00Z TREND TOWARD MORE AMPLIFICATION CONTINUES.

THERMALLY AND CLOSER TO HOME A WRF-NMMB AND GFS BLEND SEEMED TO
INITIALIZE THE BEST.

Final call, 100-120 mph wind gust in cape cod. Crap snowfall amounts everyone in this forum. Bigger impact by damage then Sandy (in billions). 948 will pwn you.

Dude, C'mon.  Sandy was moving inland at a monthly high tide and daily high tide and was moving inland from well out to sea from east to west and made landfall in the most populated area in the country.  Yes, this storm may do some tremendous damage, but more than Sandy?  That statement is beyond ridiculous.  

This is going to be a big boy low, and anyone writing it off as a fish storm at this point, based on what they see on the current models verbatim, might be surprised(and wrong). The trends on last night's runs were better(if one wants an impactful event over land). Todays runs shall be interesting.

This is going to be a big boy low, and anyone writing it off as a fish storm at this point, based on what they see on the current models verbatim, might be surprised(and wrong). The trends on last night's runs were better(if one wants an impactful event over land). Todays runs shall be interesting.

I agree. How often this year (or any year) does a storm with such potency end up taking a due north route and not be closer to the coastline. I just don't think it will do that. I think it will be right up the coast or further east than presently progged. I think the timing for the rapid intensification is wrong.

I agree. How often this year (or any year) does a storm with such potency end up taking a due north route and not be closer to the coastline. I just don't think it will do that. I think it will be right up the coast or further east than presently progged. I think the timing for the rapid intensification is wrong.

Yes and yes. There should be no towel throwing at least until tomorrow. No reason to think we don't have some favorable trends still yet to come. Looking forward to my modeled snow mayhem today. ;-)

Yes and yes. There should be no towel throwing at least until tomorrow. No reason to think we don't have some favorable trends still yet to come. Looking forward to my modeled snow mayhem today. ;-)

does anyone know if the sw responsible for the  storm have arrived onshore and been sampled correctly??

I read Mt Holly discussion and have my answer

06z GFS looks okay, but to warm for stickage when the actual precip is falling.

That wont be a problem if it bombs closer to the coast/further south. The key is getting into the heavier precip on the west side, and cooling the surface will not be a problem if that occurs. The entire column is cold. GFS isnt there yet, nor is the Euro.

Archived