• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Season Finale :(

Ji

You're a met, so I assume you have an intelligent argument to support your viewpoint, even if not backed up with research and numbers--why not post your views, maybe someone else here does have additional data or ideas to support or contest the viewpoint, aka discussion.

too many mets/scientists like to drop by with anecdotes -- it's a bad habit

*that's a statement on a scientific community as a whole, not here...btw*

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not sure who gets more but plenty of cases of explosive cyclogenesis have occurred in the pacific -- you don't even have to go back that far, look at the storm that affected CA in late Feb. -- sub-970 mb low. 

data sampling is important but not sure if we went out to the pacific and launched a bunch of radiosondes/dropsondes that it would lead to much -- especially at this lead time.

We have several studies for WSR that demonstrate that these types of supplemental observations basically do not even move the needle when assimilated into state of the art NWP/DA systems.  One of the papers based on the ECMWF model is published in MWR, the other study is internal.  We have a lot of redundancy in our current observing system.  Couple that with the fact that NWP and DA have come a long way in the past decade, and the paradigm has really shifted.   Having said all of that, more (good) observations are always better. 

There are certain phenomena for which targeting is still likely to be important.  I am working with some collaborators on demonstrating the impact of our NOAA GIV dropsondes for TC track prediction in the NCEP GFS.  We are looking closely at two cases: Isaac 2012 and Karen 2013.  Preliminary results will be presented at the upcoming tropical conference.

We have several studies for WSR that demonstrate that these types of supplemental observations basically do not even move the needle when assimilated into state of the art NWP/DA systems.  One of the papers based on the ECMWF model is published in MWR, the other study is internal.  We have a lot of redundancy in our current observing system.  Couple that with the fact that NWP and DA have come a long way in the past decade, and the paradigm has really shifted.   Having said all of that, more (good) observations are always better. 

There are certain phenomena for which targeting is still likely to be important.  I am working with some collaborators on demonstrating the impact of our NOAA GIV dropsondes for TC track prediction in the NCEP GFS.  We are looking closely at two cases: Isaac 2012 and Karen 2013.  Preliminary results will be presented at the upcoming tropical conference.

nice -- i'm no atmospheric DA expert but i figured if targeting could show some significant impacts, it'd be tropical forecasting, so that's cool to hear.

The "need more sampling" thing is seemingly overplayed IMO. A lot of big name mets mention it too. Obviously more data is better than less but satellites provide so much already.  I have wondered about how any storms are well forecast for the west coast or many other places if it was entirely true as well.  WPAC forecasts are pretty good considering there is no recon as one example -- though clearly our own recon of the Atlantic is helpful vs none. 

Looking a lot like this is wanting to swing right, which I honestly don't mind.  Less mud would be a good thing when the temps warm up afterwards. ;)

I would take a little moisture to soak in the lawn fertilizer thats going down tomorrow. Snow is same as rain this time of year.

Archived