• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season Finale :(

Ji

Raleigh got 2" on 4/18/83...we have plenty of time...

Not sure that snow was ever all on the ground at once... 18Z snow depth that day was 0, 0Z snow depth was trace, and midnight snow depth was back to 0.  The 1.8" carries an "E" next to it with a remark "estimated due to melting".

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone told me Snowgoose in NYC said it never happens south of Philly, but I know that's not correct.

3/29/42 was an extreme precip example of an inverted trough (that DC, Baltimore up through central PA got in on 12-30" while Philly and NYC were mostly light non-accumulating shows the narrow band extending NNW inland). I don't know if that was a Norlun.....

I remember it snowed on Opening Day in the mid-2000's in Baltimore. It was actually a convective snow shower on a CAA day if I remember correctly.

I'm gonna say... 2006?

I remember a storm (this is in the Philly area at that point) around 2000 or so in which it was 70 on a Saturday, woke up the next morning and there was 1-2" of snow on the ground

4/9/2000.  Epic burst of heavy snow with a frontal wave riding up the front just after it passed.

april 1 1997, i was going to school 20 minutes west of boston. Insane heavy paste snow, it also snowed for about 30 hours. I remember hearing the forecast the night before and thinking it was an April Fools Day joke on the radio, it had been about 70 degrees a day earlier.

That is EXACTLY how my boss said it happened. He was working at the Taunton office at the time. He said it snowed do hard it was scary.

4/9/00? That was rain to snow after a 40+ degree drop in temps behind a front. Montgomery County, MD was 1-2" generally (1.5" in a Potomac), but I'm not sure anywhere got up to 5".

I got about an inch. Very powerful front. Up towards Philly may have got more like 2-4. Don't remember any 5 inch amounts anywhere in the region either.

Early April 2000 is another interesting day for spring snow storms in NY/New England - got 16" after a 89F day the day before near Albany, NY in early April, only a few days off of April 1st. Remember shivering my way back from campus at about 2am with snow on the ground already and everyone in shorts and short sleeve shirts. I wasn't following weather back then the way I do now, so I don't recall the evolution of that storm.

Early April 2000 is another interesting day for spring snow storms in NY/New England - got 16" after a 89F day the day before near Albany, NY in early April, only a few days off of April 1st. Remember shivering my way back from campus at about 2am with snow on the ground already and everyone in shorts and short sleeve shirts. I wasn't following weather back then the way I do now, so I don't recall the evolution of that storm.

It was only 76 in Albany, and the only got 13", but that's still damn impressive.

This year "it" has just continued to find ways to snow. The anti 97-98, if you will.

Wouldn't be shocked to see snow this week and again next week.

They were saying that in the northern Philly burbs up to NYC... look what its got them during the last month ;)

That is EXACTLY how my boss said it happened. He was working at the Taunton office at the time. He said it snowed do hard it was scary.

In my 8 years in boston it was definitely the hardest snow I ever saw over a prolonged period.   We even lost some qpf to rain in the beginning and still ended up with those crazy totals.

can't completely rule it out.. especially NW but I certainly wouldn't expect more than dusting or so IMBY once April starts. we're about to enter needing -30 departures during the day for anything meaningful heh. we have seen very light april snow more recently like in 2007. that may have been close to 1" in this part of DC.. wasn't here for that one, but dropped 0.4" at DCA. it does figure we'll get an -NAO too late, not that we needed it.. but maybe it can help screw up severe weather season by locking in.

It was 0.5" in MTP...I was up for the whole thing

After seeing the nam and rgem + the gfs to a lesser extent show the same narrow stripe of decent qpf I'm becoming pretty intrigued. The rgem shows a relatively stationary band for 6 hours.

It looks like precip develops before this main band and spreads over the area then the main band of heavier steady precip develops right over us and stays in place as you said for up to 6 hours. How narrow and how intense the band is will determine who gets a couple inches of slop. Should be another cool event just for the time of year if nothing else.

After seeing the nam and rgem + the gfs to a lesser extent show the same narrow stripe of decent qpf I'm becoming pretty intrigued. The rgem shows a relatively stationary band for 6 hours.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised for wet 1"-2" on grass. But we need rates. Hope models are correct with the axis of heavier precip.

If not it's snow t.v.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised for wet 1"-2" on grass. But we need rates. Hope models are correct with the axis of heavier precip.

If not it's snow t.v.

Pretty nice frontogenesis as Ian pointed out earlier. Combine that with a decent vort pass and it could be bursty in nature. Could be a couple bands too. I'm not all that worried about accums yet. We can dig in tomorrow if the feature holds serve. It's pretty small and kinda funny that we might be in the crosshairs. We're like a snowmagnet and stuff.

Been working all day and trying to catch up on things.  I'm still pretty disinterested and kinda blah, but it looks sorta interesting.   Ian is right though with the NAM's hinky Norlun look...that sh*t rarely happens here.

Archived