Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light frozen plates and zr falling now. May cause issues later tonight if it keeps up. 29.0

It will keep up overnight. It was not supposed to start until after midnight. This is all so very reminiscent of a mid January kind of scene, deep snowpack with freezing precip on top. We're getting the whole frozen enchilada this winter, even in mid March on St Paddys day 

I'm exhausted. Gotta stop wishin for this stuff. The plow piled more snow from the road not just on my frigging driveway entrance this morning, but also on my neighbor's driveway entrance! I had to go out there and chip thru a mound of wet snow AGAIN!

Not only did we get an area wide 6-10 (up to 12 in spots) snowfall in mid-March, a good chunk of it is still on the ground going into day 2. That's pretty solid for the metro regions even in February around here. I'm hoping there's still a decent bit on the ground tomorrow after work, but I won't hold my breathe on that. Near 40 with sun in March is going to kill this snow. 

Remarkable, but not a record.  Lowest for March 17th at DC is 25 in 1900.

Yeah, but as you know most of those records are seemingly impossible to beat. The late 1800s into early 1900s had some really intense cold.  By my count there have been 23 (now 24) days freezing or below Mar 17 onward in the entire record and this would be the first at DCA with the last occurrence in 1944.  Dulles broke a record low max but as usual it sort of begs for an asterisk due to to the period of record there.

But, match that up with the biggest storm this late at DCA and it was a solidly notable day.

I don't get sappy about snowstorms but this one still leaves me a bit floored. As far as I'm concerned it was a better storm than the Feb biggy even though that one gave me more snow -- though the period right before the sleet hit was pretty intense there too with how quick it piled up.  I'd probably rank this one third in my time here behind Feb 5-6 2010 and Dec 2009 as far as a quality event for longer than just when it was happening. We have a problem with having snow that turns to mushy garbage the instant it ends.  Walking around tonight everything is still caked and it looks like mid winter.  Plus there wasn't a ton of wind which is a plus and it was the second deepest snow I've seen down where all the touristy spots are. 

I don't get sappy about snowstorms but this one still leaves me a bit floored. As far as I'm concerned it was a better storm than the Feb biggy even though that one gave me more snow -- though the period right before the sleet hit was pretty intense there too with how quick it piled up.  I'd probably rank this one third in my time here behind Feb 5-6 2010 and Dec 2009 as far as a quality event for longer than just when it was happening. We have a problem with having snow that turns to mushy garbage the instant it ends.  Walking around tonight everything is still caked and it looks like mid winter.  Plus there wasn't a ton of wind which is a plus and it was the second deepest snow I've seen down where all the touristy spots are. 

agree, it was a great storm

sort of a quintessential example of this winter...a lot going against it before it started yet it still managed to over perform big time

Monday March 17 2014

Today was one of the most MEMORABLE St Paddys days in memory. We got crushed by ridiculous amounts of snow in Dale City. I think a climo snow in mid March is about 1 inch.

We got murdered by recursive frontogenetic snow bands all night, to the tune of 8 inches of fluffy wet snow on lawns, and about 5 inches of snow on sidewalks and roads. Curiously enough, the roads conceded before the sidewalks did.

The Luck of the Irish was very, very potent with this snowstorm as the entire Northern Virginia / DCA / Maryland region won a stunning trifecta of evap cooling, plentiful moisture and descending darkness. We were not even supposed to see accums til after midnight. By 1030pm Dale City already had 3 inches on lawns with much more snow to come.

Some places across the region got annihilated by 10 to as much as 12 inches of St Paddys snow. It was very hard to believe so late in the season, for us to have so many things come together in the way that they did with an early onset of mostly snow. Dale City saw light snow driven by a northeasterly wind as early as 530pm on March 16. We never did get any rainfall. I was stunned by an incredible Birthday snowstorm that continued to pour tons of snow on Dale City amid refreshing northeasterly breezes that blew dendrites that at times measured in excess of an inch in diameter sideways past the streetlights! Overnight the snow fell as band after band crushed us, particularly between 11pm and 630am. It felt much more like a mid January snow event that was crushing weathafella's and Ginxy's backyards than in mid March in northern Virginia. One snow band between 4am and 6am dumped inch an hour snow accumulations as I tried to clear my neighbor's walk and driveway. The snow fell so fast and furious that I was forced to redo my work several times lmao.

I never imagined that the snow would stick to the roads and sidewalks after all of the recent warm weather. I had a hard time believing that it would stick to the grassy areas but this storm demolished any doubts very quickly. I had only expected 2-3 inches per zwyts. His progs are dead on 99 percent of the time.

What an unbelievable overperformer! I could hardly believe my Irish luck as I jebwalked thru impressive  accumulations that mounted to 8 inches as I struggled to clear the snow early Monday morning as even more heavy snow poured from the skies. I got to dig plenty of snow as the relentless snow band dumped even more white gold from above, 'Death From Above' lmao. The plow obliged me as well, plowing a decent snow berm not only over my neighbor's driveway entrance but also over MY driveway entrance as well LMAO. I shook my head in utter disbelief as I tried unsuccessfully to reconcile the stark fact that this was somehow the middle of March in northern Virginia on the tropical fall line and here I was, bending forward against a NE wind, straining to see thru all the large snowflakes that were beating me in the face, going straight thru my open mouth as I breathed hard from digging massive amounts of St Paddys snow and getting down my windpipe causing me to cough and cough and cough lmao!

As daylight came the winter wonderland was fully revealed in all its splendor. The trees had lots of fresh snow on them as a gray battleship sky presided over the formerly tropical Mid Atlantic. Schools had closed. The Federal Government had capitulated as well, conceding to the massive St Paddys snowstorm. Washington DC got at least 6 inches of snow. No one was spared. The temperature had plummeted to 23 degrees amid the cascading snowflakes. The wind chills were in the low teens. One of my neighbors cars slewed all the way around on the snow slicked road. I could not restrain a grin lol.

Once the day lightened up and the plows had done their work, the roads opened up. The north facing lawns on Glendale Slope. the Leninskaya Slope on the southeastern side of the Darbydale/Minnieville Intersection, and the entirety of Delaney Valley were one big all encompassing ski resort with 8 inches of fresh snow! In mid March! It was hard to believe that where I had jebwalked on Saturday in 73 degree weather with a summer tshirt and California board shorts, where I had greedily guzzled tremendous quantities of cold water because it was so damn hot, was only 2 days later wreathed in deep snow as a cool refreshing breeze spread relief across the region amid swirling flurries at times.

It was a perfect mid March morning. I could hardly believe I got to see more snow yet AGAIN in this 2013-2014 snow season! I thought the LAST snow was the last one, the one on March 3! What was even harder to believe was that the clouds stuck around all day. The refreshing northeast breezes kept our high temperature BELOW MOS for a change! We only hit 29 for a high temperature today. The snow only compacted a couple inches. Today happens to be our 51st day of snow cover on the season, 100 percent, wall to wall areal coverage of delightful white gold!

I spent the entire day marveling at all the snow. I ran for sheer joy in the snow. I even 'liberated' a circular snow sled and copped a few exhilarating runs down a local hill. Man WHAT A RUSH! That wet snow was FAST! The only surface faster is ICE.

This was a St Paddys Day to remember, one for the ages. We'll be discussing this for years and years.

:sled:  :hug:  :snowing:  :clap:  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :guitar:

Snow got demolished today.. definitely not the staying power of the early mo event.  Big patches with no cover and even the shaded spots are hurting.

Does high ratio snow melt faster? I measured .5 inches liquid from the melted snow. If you add .1 for evaporation/sublimation then you get average ratios of 15.8:1. Very impressive for Mid-March.

Archived