Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out from 545 till a bit ago... started at the capitol, went to the tidal basin, hit the mall, vietnam memorial etc.  Capitol had a solid 8" on the ground.. about 7" at the Tidal Basin. Coming back I'm still shocked to see .. though we probably could have gone to work lol. Ran into Kevin Ambrose.. we ended up on WJLA and egged eachother on to being out forever. No sleep in 28 hours the only downside.

Anyone else notice how behind-schedule the plants are? Even with the recent warmth, no signs of life. Not many buds, even on the cherry blossoms..

I wonder if it has something to due with the midwinter cold snaps freezing up the ground & the root systems?

Not even any daffodills.  No signs of spring at all yet.  I love it.

Sure looks like a lot of dark blues heading NE-ward up the Apps.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Fun with hallucinations.... :whistle:

Well, I'm out 'that way' and can report that skies have darkened a good bit in last half hour and a mist/needle type of precip has started to fall again after a couple hour lull, nothing showing on radar here, but looks like it is trying to backfill a bit down in Blacksburg/Pulaski/Wytheville area? You never know....

Sometimes forecasts don't always work out. I enjoy reading CWG. It's a shame there's nothing like CWG in the NY Metro Area. The NYT weather coverage is not impressive to say the least. Something like CWG would add a lot of value.

NWS Upton is outstanding, of course.

We are very fortunate to have CWG and LWX as resources around here.  I realize how spoiled we are when I need to travel and struggle to find similar information for other areas.

True that, but LWX spanked them on this one...they held firm for the most part and CWG kept adjusting.  That first map of 1 to 4" was lolz.   That being said, CWG DID come around in the end and caught up.

post-1615-0-70195000-1395075850_thumb.pn

The real lesson here is that sometimes in anomalous patterns raw output >> MOS.

LWX went with trusting NWP; CWG hung it's hat on climo -- could had easily gone the other way.

Not really.. but I guess you must have been bcc'ed on the convo so perhaps I shouldn't lie. 

Find me a forecaster who forecasts for every event that ever happens who never busts. Good luck.

Last batch of flurries moving thru at 1:30pm here in Clarksburg.  10.3" was the storm total here with 0.3" of that coming over the last 6.5 hours after the main precip shut off.  Even though it is flurrying, it's 24.2F and there is a high overcast, the plowed roads are steaming, just like after a summer thunderstorm.  That's some serious insolation...

Archived