joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3" and counting. Dryslot filling and bands lining up. Irish luck. Maybe the snowflakes turn green at midnight

Fantastic!!  Yeah, green flakes for St. Pat's!  How about some dark greens (and yellows) on the radar?

Just went out for a walk and to take photos, yardstick in hand.  Measured several places, 4" on the grass now with pavement areas getting covered.  (Chevy Chase, MD)

This is so far turning out to be a great "last call" for the winter!

Here is what I just posted on facebook- 

Hey. As if you couldn't already tell, I am going bust low on snow for DC. I didn't expect us to accumulate so well so early. Given that most of DC is approaching or has exceeded 2", and we are 28-29 degrees, I think we should wake up to 4-6"+. Short range modeling is now suggesting snow tapers by 7-8am. We may get some snow to redevelop during the day, but looks like the main event is happening now. The big wildcard is roads. I think side streets in particular will get snow covered, but even with temps below freezing and overcast skies, strong March sun should do do some damage during the day tomorrow to whatever sticks to streets and sidewalks.

Nice post.  It would be cool if the "good stuff" continues through ~12Z, as short range modeling indicates from what you say.

I'm certain that you are quite glad to bust low! :snowing:  

Last March was probably the snowiest month for most around here.

Of course, that's not saying much! :lol:

But the cold nature of this snow is what's so shocking to me. The whole thing is evolving in about as good a fashion as one could expect for accumulating snow in these parts in the dead middle of March.

65+ and sunny yesterday...grilling and beers outside. And cold, ripping snow tonight. Crazy stuff.

dca only had around 6" max that day, but this one still probably doesn't top it, just an outside chance, imo

I think DCA got 7.0" on the nose from Feb. 12-13, but many other areas got closer to a foot or more in the metro area.  So not expecting that storm to get topped.  Regardless, this could be the 2nd best storm of the year if things work out right.  Where I'm at, the Jan. 21 storm is currently #2.

11pm obs:3.5", 28.5*

Think temp has bottomed or maybe another degree drop. Rate is moderate but flake size small, just 0.5" in last hour. Real indicator to me today that this would work as considerable snow was temperature dropping 6 degrees between 2:30-4:30. Be interesting to see what effect strong sun will have on my radiant measuring device tomorrow during afternoon.

lower southern MD and south Del getting rocked by a solid yellow blob. Hope they get clocked with a foot of fresh snow

Thanks for the wishes.  Unfortunately, I can still see pavement in spots and Wakefield just cut my totals to 1-3 with rain at times overnight (?!).  I was worried about the dry slot, but warm air aloft might just do us in here.

Archived