Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade This Winter So Far...

CT Rain

I'm going to give this winter a C+.

So far 49.2" which is a few inches above average. Never managed a "blockbuster" 12"+ event though we did have a 10" even on 2/5, 9.5" on 2/13-14.

February was a great month with 30.3" of snow and a max depth of 19" on 2/19. 

For me... big storms are more important than "pack" so hence my C+ grade. January and March were, for the most part, hideous months. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B and I think that generous... too many torches and cutters first half and awful snowpack first half. Feb made up for it with deep deep snow and pack which is still OTG today.

The Bitter cold and top 10 cold winter for BDL was nice..We had so many arctic shots..More than we've had in over 10 yrs.

But the last 30 days and MORCH ruined the end.

So it's either a B- or B

I know the thread title says "so far" but I'm not going to grade this winter yet. Just imagine if we got a 20" storm in two weeks to end the season. Would it change perspectives?

I will grade that two weeks in February as an A for a two week stretch. Blockbusters, they were not, but it was a blast to literally always have a storm to track after the next one. Very sharp contrast to December and January when there was always a cutter lurking around the corner.

I know the thread title says "so far" but I'm not going to grade this winter yet. Just imagine if we got a 20" storm in two weeks to end the season. Would it change perspectives?

I will grade that two weeks in February as an A for a two week stretch. Blockbusters, they were not, but it was a blast to literally always have a storm to track after the next one. Very sharp contrast to December and January when there was always a cutter lurking around the corner.

You can re-grade your winter if you manage a 20" storm.

I'll tell you this right now... if I manage a 20" snowstorm in the closing weeks of MORCH or early April I will give this winter an A- at the least. 

I would give the horrible winter of 11-12 a B+ or A- solely because of the October storm. 

You can re-grade your winter if you manage a 20" storm.

I'll tell you this right now... if I manage a 20" snowstorm in the closing weeks of MORCH or early April I will give this winter an A- at the least.

I would give the horrible winter of 11-12 a B+ or A- solely because of the October storm.

OK then I would grade it a B. But my biggest snowfall of the year wasn't just a south of the pike deal, it was a south of route 6 deal. So without that powderbomb, it would be more like a B-/C+ that others are giving it.

I'd give it a B I think.  I enjoy the cold by itself, even without snow, so that helps my grade, but it's still not enough to bring me any higher than a B.  

December was a pretty good month, and we had 14.1" from a few nice little storms, with snowpack for about 11 days (or something like that).  Unfortunately, right before Christmas the snowpack was slaughtered ruthlessly by a 60 degree cutter, which was traumatizing to say the least.

January was also pretty good in the snowfall department (15.7") and had some good cold I think, but the cutters really ruined it though...

February was great, with 30.8" of snow from some fun storms, and snowpack from 2/3 onward.  

In March, I definitely appreciate the cold and continued snowpack, but all the lost snow opportunities have really sucked (only 1.4" of snow so far), so that definitely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  

The cold was very persistent, though, and 62.6" of snow is definitely above average, so the B is well earned imo.  And seeing more cold coming on the Euro lifts my spirits lol.

I'd give it a B I think. I enjoy the cold by itself, even without snow, so that helps my grade, but it's still not enough to bring me any higher than a B.

December was a pretty good month, and we had 14.1" from a few nice little storms, with snowpack for about 11 days (or something like that). Unfortunately, right before Christmas the snowpack was slaughtered ruthlessly by a 60 degree cutter, which was traumatizing to say the least.

January was also pretty good in the snowfall department (15.7") and had some good cold I think, but the cutters really ruined it though...

February was great, with 30.8" of snow from some fun storms, and snowpack from 2/3 onward.

In March, I definitely appreciate the cold and continued snowpack, but all the lost snow opportunities have really sucked (only 1.4" of snow so far), so that definitely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

The cold was very persistent, though, and 62.6" of snow is definitely above average, so the B is well earned imo. And seeing more cold coming on the Euro lifts my spirits lol.

I forgot about (supressed?) that Christmas cutter. But then we got an inch Christmas eve which was some consolation.

B+ so far. 20" above average snowfall, lots of cold.

What keeps it from being an A

1. Snowpack retention wasn't great

2. No storms of 12" or 12"+ here

3. A lot of opportunity and cold air left on the table

4. March being awful to this point

5. Cutters

Highlights:

•Two very cold storms that don't happen often around here

•a couple of storms that popped up at very close range

•frequency of measurable events

•cold

• coastal front draped over taunton for a while on the 1/3 storm.

• longevity of winter weather chances

Overall: this winter will go down as the team that made it to the championship game, but just couldn't win it all.

Very good, but could have been even better

Snowfall is a C.  I'm still 3" short of my seasonal average, but getting 4 storms of 10"+ (albeit no blockbusters) prevents a C-.

Temperature is an A.  Avg for DJF was a skinny 0.03F away from matching 02-03 for my coldest, and I think adding March will make this the coldest 4-month winter run, even though March 2003 has been my coldest so far.  It's nearly a lock that we'll be colder this month, and there's an outside shot that the Farmington COOP can beat 1984 as their coldest March since records began in 1893.

Snowpack is a solid B, currently 4th of 16 years for snow depth days, and will probably stay there as #3 is a long way ahead.

Add 'em up, looks like a B.  (Unless one weighs snowfall far far ahead of anything else.)

Upstate NY, much like the Berkshires, has not had a great winter.

It's a solid C.

We had decent snow early on only to see it torched away.

We wasted most of January without enough snowpack to be useful.

And it has been incredibly cold which jacks the heating bills up.  Had that cold been accompanied by storms coming north to us, with prolonged snowpack, it could have been an A+ year.

B/B+

Using ORH...though Natick would be similar.

For ORH, the snowpack was pretty weak early on but its been impressive since early February and peaked around 25-26" on February 19th. That's not bad. The first half was pretty meh though despite the snowfall itself being above average.

Snowfall was more impressive than snowpack. 84.3" is a very solid winter in the event there isn't another flake. Two storms reached 12", but none of 14" or greater.

The cold was very solid as well. The ill-timed torches certainly knock it down just a tad, but overall it is hard to say temperatures were a disappointment if cold and snow is the goal.

A for snowpack duration 

C for storms (and many missed opportunities

F for the horribly timed cutters

total snow is above average, so I would have to give that an A

overall, B-

Edit: forgot to mention the "snow drought" from 2/19 onward. that part earns a solid F

C for the Champlain Valley. 

Highlights:

Three warning snow events, topped off by the 19 inches last week.  Average snow depth for season.

Deep cold over most of the winter, but tempered by the thaw in January that saw a number of +10 to +20 degree departures.

Significant ice storm in December.

Three cutters which turned snowpack into icepack.

Very late start to the sugaring season.

Archived