Newest Member
    joxey
Grade This Winter So Far...

CT Rain

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B+

6"+ more snow IMBY than last year, definitely above average I'd say.  Relatively the valley locations did well, downsloping mostly a non-issue in the type of events that occurred.  Very cold, good skating made up for the late Dec, early Jan periods of poor snowpack and exceptionally thick pond ice allowed us to plow the hockey rink with a quad (could've supported a C130 for that matter). Peak pack of just under 30" is very solid, and witnessed extreme if brief snowfall rates.

Loses some points for rainstorms after big cold, below average skiing in N. VT the epic last few days aside, frustrating Jan and March missed snow chances and no whopper storm totals.

This winter was entirely forgetable for me from a meteorological standpoint, but will remain etched in my memory until I take my last breath for personal reasons.

Serious question, do other people know what you're talking about?

I genuinely feel bad for you, and I have no idea why.

B+. Snow was decent. Temps were not  particularly memorable, but there was a lot of cold air. I don't recall any prolonged torches. I'm hoping to hit Sugarloaf in mid April (after reggae) so ask me after that.

The entire second half of January?

Mid-January sucked...ORH went 8 consecutive days above freezing from Jan 10-17 which included 2 rainstorms. That is basically the coldest period of the winter climatologically, so it was a bit of a waste.

But that was basically it for any "torch" over 3 days.

We never saw the core of the epic cold outbreaks that hit west of us, but I'd describe the cold as persistent this winter. Unrelenting for the most part. It just kept recurring in waves. Solid cold shots too...not historic, but lots of -15 to -18 type depature cold snaps. When it teamed up with a coastal storm for steady snow with temps near 0F, that is when it briefly became historic.

Not a winter of record cold compared to what other parts of the country experienced but the persistence of the cold and the details ORH gave is what impresses me. We managed to hit 80" for snow this yr which was quite a bit above the norm. Yeah we had cutters and some short stretches were ugh like just before Christmas, but I give it a B+. Above normal snowfall, persistent cold, impressive late season cold and the fact that the ice is as thick right now as it has been midwinter in some recent years. It was very good. 

At least JAN had the somewhat of a surprise 5" wet snow on I think the 18th in ORH.

Yes, almost 6" in the inverted trough...that is what broke that ugly stretch from Jan 10-17. We have actually had snow cover since that event, though some exposed south facing slopes and busy intersections have opened up patches of grass, but for residential areas/woodned areas, etc....the snow cover has been full since that event. Which is pretty impressive.

Cold...is a B+. Precip....C.. Able to get both together so every 3rd-4th storm is not some cold rain.....give it an A- because it has sucked. There is a lot of missing or never had snowpack around here. Albany to Bolton Landing---really the Hudson Valley/Upper Hudson Valley even possibly farther north than that). Yeah overall I give it a C...

B+

pros

40 days consecutive snow cover one inch or more Feb 3 to March 15th

51 days total snow cover one inch or more since Dec 1st

peak snow depth right around 20 inches

two good size storms one week apart both 11 inches during the incredible period of Feb 3 to Feb 17 where just under three feet was recorded

plenty of cold weather and seemingly countless mornings -10 to plus 10 and lots of daytime maxes 15 to 25 f and a couple even colder in the very low teens

a few instances where snow fell at least briefly at 3 inches/hr

the 40 day period mentioned above a bit more impressive considering increasing sun angle etc

didn't do all that bad overall here in the bowels of dv comparatively speaking with down sloping so far not much of a factor in snow events

cons

wasted period early Jan to early Feb where there were many misses and fringe events to the e and se and there was often considerable bitter cold...had we had one four to six inch event during that time the grade would be A-

March so far is an epic disappointment and the cold is starting to get real tiresome without any fresh snow

no -nao blocking so everything really has been ultra progressive with tremendous amounts of wasted potential

being only slightly above average for the season

lousy performance by many of the models and too many busted snow fall forecasts (especially January)...fortunately there were many good voices of reason on here bc if I had gone solely on tv forecasts I think I would want to lynch a few of those clowns

watching philly and esp nyc corridor have another record setting snow winter in an era which has been very snowy but still feeling like we haven't gotten a fair shake up this way...areas n and w really have even more reason to complain

neutrals

as much as I want a huge snow event I feel I cannot use that in the grading process if we are at or slightly above normal

thaws don't really bother me bc every winter no matter how cold has them

many of the cons mentioned really did not detract all that much from the overall grade

Even though I was out of the country for all of February, I would rate this winter very highly.

1.  I enjoyed the cold

2.  I like how March stayed nice and cold so far

3.  My front yard had near total snow coverage from December 15th (give or take a day) until today.  I think the last few inches of crud is going to melt by the end of the week, but I still made it through Calandar / Solar(?) winter with complete snow coverage over my lawn.

4.  There were a number of exceptionally good ski days this year - more than in past years because of the cold temps and relative lack of rainstorms in N. NH and NW ME.

All in all I'd say this was a B+, even considering that I missed the greatness that was February.

Archived