joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We better end this winter on a high note because Super El Nino is on the way and winter may not be the same again!!!  First, the Polar Vortex got us, and now it's Super El Ninio's turn.

Turn up the hype!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/03/20/subtle-signs-emerging-of-a-super-el-nino/

Still deep winter up here in the Plymouth NH area.  As you can see from my snow stake, just under 2 feet on the snow stake,  Last 50F reading at my house, November 17th.  High for the year, 48F.  Deer are having a hard time so I have been feeding them the past few weeks since there has been no bare ground since November at my elevation.  Picture from my webcam right now.

post-268-0-13261100-1395440970_thumb.jpg

Still deep winter up here in the Plymouth NH area. As you can see from my snow stake, just under 2 feet on the snow stake, Last 50F reading at my house, November 17th. High for the year, 48F. Deer are having a hard time so I have been feeding them the past few weeks since there has been no bare ground since November at my elevation. Picture from my webcam right now.

Bad deal on feeding the deer. They're wild animals and actually are well equipped for surviving here at the northern edge of their range. I don't know about NH but in VT it's illegal. When deer gather for feeding it makes it much easier for disease to be tansmitted. The best way to help deer through winter is to make sure that their habitat is healthy and their numbers stay in balance with it. I know that it is hard to see them suffering but if their numbers are kept a level that doesn't over-tax the food supply there is less chance that they suffer starvation. The whitetail deer is one of the most amazing and adaptable animals there is and they are tough, feeding them may make it harder for them down the road.

Bad deal on feeding the deer. They're wild animals and actually are well equipped for surviving here at the northern edge of their range. I don't know about NH but in VT it's illegal. When deer gather for feeding it makes it much easier for disease to be tansmitted. The best way to help deer through winter is to make sure that their habitat is healthy and their numbers stay in balance with it. I know that it is hard to see them suffering but if their numbers are kept a level that doesn't over-tax the food supply there is less chance that they suffer starvation. The whitetail deer is one of the most amazing and adaptable animals there is and they are tough, feeding them may make it harder for them down the road.

I know, I know, I know!!  Not going to do this again.  My house is 200 years old and you can't tell by the picture but my 15 acres used to be an apple orchard.  The trees were planted in 1903.  The last 23 trees remain but I have been loosing them to old age.  The deer all know to come here for the apples that over the years were in abundance.  Now they are not.  So the pickings are gone by Christmas and they all just dig through the snow looking for apples that they will never find.  Last year I planted 20 more trees.  You can see one in the picture.  Of course they are eating the buds off all the branches even though I have fenced them off.  About a month ago it just really got to me watching them just doing anything trying to find anything to eat, trying to walk through 2 feet of snow I broke down and started feeding them.  I have 25 deer and try not to give them too much but they are always around the property. I'll feed them until we get some pasture but that's it, I will let nature take its course from now on.  I just think over the last 100 years they have relied on the apple trees that are slowly now dying away. 

By cutting back to just one stove for the last month, I just might make it through March with wood.  I'm going to need to increase the pile to 10 cords for next year. Now that the base of the trees is visible, I'll start taking some down today.  T

The continued snow cover is really going to cut into the opportunity to burn this season, ftl.

This makes no sense

What he said makes a lot of sense.  In the last 5 years we have experienced hurricane Irene, superstorm Sandy and two heavy October snows.  I would say that is unusual.  What makes no sense in that context is saying there is no way the tight gradient from this forcasted storm will not verify.  Why not?

Hurricanes happen often enough in the northeast. Neither was exceptional other than Sandy's track

The Octobomb was highly unusual. What was the other October snow that you reference?

I don't see any correlation between any of them

What would you say the odds are that the pressure gradient exceeds 1978? 25%?

Hurricanes happen often enough in the northeast. Neither was exceptional other than Sandy's track

The Octobomb was highly unusual. What was the other October snow that you reference?

I agree on Sandy 100%. It was a weak hurricane...they happen.

Will lmao if this comes so far west that we get torrential rains on Wednesday. That would be a good fit to end the month.

That late '70s period must be about as anomalous (in New England) as the recent times. Two years before the '78 blizzard, on 2/2/76 CAR recorded its lowest ever pressure at 957, winds were strong enough to blow the Penobscot estuary into downtown BGR (a coastal station recorded 115 mph gust), and the following cf dropped temps 50F in 5 hr. Then in Jan 1979 I recorded -47 in Ft.Kent while PWM was getting its (then) record snowfall of 27", and just 8-9 days later we were raining and upper 30s in N.Maine while the record snows continued at PWM - 62" for the month. No lack of wild wx for our part of the world, which is why the NE subforum gets the most traffic.

It's the 06 gfs, but that run has EPO with a foot of blizzard-y snow.

That late '70s period must be about as anomalous (in New England) as the recent times. Two years before the '78 blizzard, on 2/2/76 CAR recorded its lowest ever pressure at 957, winds were strong enough to blow the Penobscot estuary into downtown BGR (a coastal station recorded 115 mph gust), and the following cf dropped temps 50F in 5 hr. Then in Jan 1979 I recorded -47 in Ft.Kent while PWM was getting its (then) record snowfall of 27", and just 8-9 days later we were raining and upper 30s in N.Maine while the record snows continued at PWM - 62" for the month. No lack of wild wx for our part of the world, which is why the NE subforum gets the most traffic.

It's the 06 gfs, but that run has EPO with a foot of blizzard-y snow.

91/92/93/94 11/12/13/14 hurricanes deep snow storms cold

Archived