joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punt the season away. The picnic tables at 4k are 15% below normal.

The punt was blocked by the 5-foot drifts this morning.

These were the events we have been missing this year, nice to get one late in the game.  The forecast for a Dusting-2" that turns into a 9" total up on the mountain.

Not much work going on after last nights squalls.

Snowpack is set-up nicely (this is from pretty low down around 2,200ft) for the spring.

For the record though, I've been talking about a bookend season for a while...well, at least after November beat out December and January for snowfall, haha.  And it looks to be happening that the snows have returned here late in the game, as the picnic tables have seen a cumulative 38" in the last 8 days. 

The punt was blocked by the 5-foot drifts this morning.

attachicon.gifdrifts_small.JPG

These were the events we have been missing this year, nice to get one late in the game.  The forecast for a Dusting-2" that turns into a 9" total up on the mountain.

attachicon.gifsnowy_branches.JPG

Not much work going on after last nights squalls.

attachicon.gifglades.JPG

Snowpack is set-up nicely (this is from pretty low down around 2,200ft) for the spring.

attachicon.giflog.JPG

For the record though, I've been talking about a bookend season for a while...well, at least after November beat out December and January for snowfall, haha.  And it looks to be happening that the snows have returned here late in the game, as the picnic tables have seen a cumulative 38" in the last 8 days. 

LOL, well glad you got your pow. Perhaps we were a little too slow on the snow starting up again..and yes you did claim a bookend winter...but it's definitely picked up AWT. Good stuff and enjoy. And as always..just having a little fun with you VT guys.

Thanks, but I am not going to take the bait.

I will go out on a limb and say that last weeks 2" was it for my neck of the woods.

Well there isn't really bait. I look at it from an odds point of view and I'd play the odds everytime something like this is modeled whether it pans out or not.

They knew quickly the area it went down though. This is on a whole other level.

If you have someone (pilot or hijacker) who is purposely trying to hide where they landed or crashed the plane and they know what to do (disable transponders, etc) it can't be that hard to evade radar in the middle of the Indian Ocean surrounded by countries that don't exactly have the most sophisticated technology. 

If you have someone (pilot or hijacker) who is purposely trying to hide where they landed or crashed the plane and they know what to do (disable transponders, etc) it can't be that hard to evade radar in the middle of the Indian Ocean surrounded by countries that don't exactly have the most sophisticated technology.

They (whoever they are) knew what they were doing and where they were going. The wreckage from the Air France plane was found several days later. IMHO these people knew how the system worked.

They (whoever they are) knew what they were doing and where they were going. The wreckage from the Air France plane was found several days later. IMHO these people knew how the system worked.

Yeah if you're flying over an ocean and you know what you're doing it doesn't seem that hard to just vanish. We used land based radar to track planes and while we have satellites all over they're not wasting their time tracking individual planes or people unless there's a reason to. 

It's a really bizarre story. 

You would find some floating wreckage if it crashed into the ocean....most of it sinks, but there is enough stuff that floats that would be found. The only way it wouldn't is if they landed it on the ocean in one piece and the entire plane slowly filled up and sank...but that is extremely unlikely.

You would find some floating wreckage if it crashed into the ocean....most of it sinks, but there is enough stuff that floats that would be found. The only way it wouldn't is if they landed it on the ocean in one piece and the entire plane slowly filled up and sank...but that is extremely unlikely.

That was my thought - almost gliding into the ocean. There's no reason why this couldn't have happened.

Would terrorists wait over a week to let people know that they captured a plane?  It just seems that people like that would be looking to brag and make demands by now. 

That was my thought - almost gliding into the ocean. There's no reason why this couldn't have happened.

Would terrorists wait over a week to let people know that they captured a plane? It just seems that people like that would be looking to brag and make demands by now.

A hijacking wouldn't necessarily have to be done by a terrorist group, it could be the pilots for some insane reason... Honestly no idea lol, I thought what info they have of the planes track suggests a conscious change in course.

A hijacking wouldn't necessarily have to be done by a terrorist group, it could be the pilots for some insane reason... Honestly no idea lol, I thought what info they have of the planes track suggests a conscious change in course.

Yeah that's why I said whoever they were because this could include the flight crew as well. Just crazy stuff. It's also a lot of real estate to cover so I guess t's possible the plane could have went down without breaking into a ton of pieces and they simply can't find it yet. Who knows.

I just think back to the Payne Stewart (PGA golfer) plane crash when the cabin depressurized and everyone went unconscious before they could do anything about it... then the plane just flew for several hours until it ran out of gas.  That thing hit the ground at 10 times the force of gravity and burrowed a 20+ foot hole in the ground and it was a small plane.  That plane though they were able to find with fighter jets while it was still in the air and they could confirm that everyone inside the plane was visually unresponsive.

I could see a situation where something like that happens...the whole plane goes unconscious (before dying shortly after that) in a matter of a minute or so, and then the thing just flies for 4 hours on autopilot getting pushed by the prevailing winds where ever they want to take it.  Or the plane turned around because the pilot knew something was wrong but then they went unconscious prior to being able to realize what was going on, and the thing flies for 4 hours out into the Indian Ocean before falling like a brick.

I just think back to the Payne Stewart (PGA golfer) plane crash when the cabin depressurized and everyone went unconscious before they could do anything about it... then the plane just flew for several hours until it ran out of gas.  That thing hit the ground at 10 times the force of gravity and burrowed a 20+ foot hole in the ground and it was a small plane.  That plane though they were able to find with fighter jets while it was still in the air and they could confirm that everyone inside the plane was visually unresponsive.

I could see a situation where something like that happens...the whole plane goes unconscious (before dying shortly after that) in a matter of a minute or so, and then the thing just flies for 4 hours on autopilot getting pushed by the prevailing winds where ever they want to take it.  Or the plane turned around because the pilot knew something was wrong but then they went unconscious prior to being able to realize what was going on, and the thing flies for 4 hours out into the Indian Ocean before falling like a brick.

This is darkly comical, sad, tragic ..sure, but I can't help giggling at what you wrote!  

...the idea of a plane just sort of sailing along on a cushion of air while visions sugar plumbs danced in their hair... Imagine some other plane flying up along side, and looking into the window of the COC-pit.  Seeing their heads just sort of slumped over - "um, uh... that's not good."

Then, "10 times the force of gravity" --   you know, late in the '90s we had an expression up at college called Value-jetting...

If folks might recall, they couldn't find the plane in the Everglades in southern Florida for over a week; and that's over land and a much smaller search radius.  The last I've read, they have narrowed this down to several thousand miles long, by 50 miles wide, so a narrow geographical area that is long. They need a third satellite to parallax but they don't have one.  Given such a large area, and considering the huge dearth of any other human-related presence in that part of the world, I think it is entirely possible that a belly landing out of comms range, then an intact flounder in 12,000' of water is the problem.

Less likely...sure... The thing is, there were over 200 passengers on that plane. Someone, somewhere, it would seem would have placed a phone call by now -- that kind of lost intelligence isn't a good sign.  

Oh they finally found the Valuejet, some 100' embedded in the Everglades. 

Less likely...sure... The thing is, there were over 200 passengers on that plane. Someone, somewhere, it would seem would have placed a phone call by now -- that kind of lost intelligence isn't a good sign.  

Yeah, that's the issue with the whole, maybe they just landed somewhere idea.  There are some conspiracy articles out there (by some fairly reputable news vendors, too) that are more or less just to keep people interested most likely, but they were saying that loved ones calling the cell phones of passengers were not going straight to voicemail like they would if the phone was off.  Or that "passenger X" was listed as active on Facebook after the accident supposedly happened, etc.  If there was any validity to that stuff, it would've blown up on the news media, and someone of those people would've been able to make contact with the outside world...you know someone on that plane had to have had a satellite phone or device.

The Air France disaster was a catastrophic series of events that led to over correction and pilot error.

More like a simple failure of a primary flight instrument to provide good data led to the overly automated Airbus doing weird stuff compounded by the complete incompetence of the 3 pilots who were ultimately attempting to deal with the situation. Everything they did was the opposite action of what anyone with a brain would do and really, the "problem" was relatively minor. Had they applied stall recovery procedures like a 5 hour total time Cessna 152 pilot would do, it would not have been an issue.

The Airbus, and to some extent European, philosophy on pilot-airplane interface is flawed to say the least.

More like a simple failure of a primary flight instrument to provide good data led to the overly automated Airbus doing weird stuff compounded by the complete incompetence of the 3 pilots who were ultimately attempting to deal with the situation. Everything they did was the opposite action of what anyone with a brain would do and really, the "problem" was relatively minor. Had they applied stall recovery procedures like a 5 hour total time Cessna 152 pilot would do, it would not have been an issue.

The Airbus, and to some extent European, philosophy on pilot-airplane interface is flawed to say the least.

Yeah I just oversimplified it a bit, but that's more or less what happened. On another note, a lot of flight simulated situations also stem from the crash near Buffalo several years ago where the pilot created a stall due to icing conditions.

I recall they found the Value Jet within a day or 2. But yeah. Weird

Yeah, but that was a domestic flight that landed in the everglades (into smithereens IIRC), so there was a really limited area that needed to be searched.  The challenge was the swamp obscuring wreckage not open ocean where floating objects are visible.

It's the show LOST that we are witnessing in real life. Wow

I never even saw an episode of that show.  Did they get rescued?

With respect to the terrorist thing........I'm of the mindset that if it was taken, it need not be taken in the way that an organization would lay claim.  Rather, it's going to be used for something else. 

Yup, I'm paranoid and have watched to much 24 and read too much Brad Thor.

20.1/3

At this point anyone's idea is as good as the next one, no one has any idea

It would be awesome if this thing landed at it's scheduled time but two weeks late with everyone on board clueless to what all the excitement was about.

Seriously though it has been a bizarre story which hasn't been helped by how the story line changed over the first few days.

It's pretty amazing to think a jumbo jet can disappear without a trace and not have been tracked at all for it's final hours of flight.

The one thing I'm not buying is pilot suicide.  There seems to have been a plan and we unfortunately may never know what that plan was.

Spent a few hours out in the yard Saturday aftn cleaning up and raking. Ground was nice and soft on the E side of my yard. If it snows, it snows. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Got some stuff done here as well. Mud is only bad in the far back yard where the last of the snow just melted. I think the slow melt is really helping keep the mud minimal. For now anyway

I wouldn't mind one more storm, but if not, bring on the warmth

Archived