• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

Feels like the last day of school. After tomorrow, I'll check back in by Columbus Day to see how next winter is shaping up. Maybe briefly mid summer if we sniff 100F or a cane approaches. Otherwise, I hope everyone has a nice summer! See you all on the other side.

Shame... We will have so much fog, mist, and phantom convection to track until then.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feels like the last day of school. After tomorrow, I'll check back in by Columbus Day to see how next winter is shaping up. Maybe briefly mid summer if we sniff 100F or a cane approaches. Otherwise, I hope everyone has a nice summer! See you all on the other side.

see you in 10 days

Things are funny around here when nothing much is going on.  I've been way too busy with work and the maple season but get to peek in from time to time.  I see banned users, users jumping ship, new users acting like everyone else is an idiot, etc., etc.  It's funny reading through posts when you're not here all the time!

Do people need like a medal and pat on the back for not getting invested in this storm or something? It's been mentioned over and over that they didn't get invested or they knew it was a miss or didn't buy the west runs.

I don't really get that mantra. This is a historic storm, that is having high impacts on the cape.

They had smoke showing on arrival, 33 was first due. Sounded like initially they charged the line in the basement and had then lost water. They began to yell and scream for it but I don't think it ever came. A full company man, horrifying. 

Can hear over and over again someone asking if they are coming to get them. Terrible

Right away you can begin to wonder if there was an equipment problem on their pump, or if there was a problem with the hydrant.. All speculation.

My grandfather was district chief in Boston. When I was a kid, I used to walk down to the station and sometimes go on calls with him to fires. Meteorology was first and foremost, but second up was being a firefighter. I almost took the civil service test just to have under my belt. I hate hearing about that stuff.

How so?

Ladder operations tend to be more exterior of the building, like ventilating the roof, laddering, etc especially before the overhaul process when the fire is more well controlled.

Engine operations involve the initial attack into the building, water supply, rescuing people. 

Unless I'm missing something, I'd be surprised to find out that a member of a ladder company was trapped in the basement of a four story building that early into a fire. However, it is possible that you can be reassigned to the engine company of a firehouse on certain days. Sometimes when you show up at your shift you can also be sent to other firehouses across the city.

The reason why I think that he was the cardiac arrest member is that I don't see him being in the basement at that point of the fire.

But hey, I could be wrong, I'm not a professional.

Truck company operation are ventilation, forcing entry, search and rescue, outside ventilation, and finding the seat of the fire to direct the 1st due eng company with the hose line.

The truck company was in the basement conducting a search and finding the fire so the eng company knows where to go.

It's totally reasonable to believe the truck company was inside that basement. Truck company operations are not just Exterior operations

Truck company operation are ventilation, forcing entry, search and rescue, outside ventilation, and finding the seat of the fire to direct the 1st due eng company with the hose line.

The truck company was in the basement conducting a search and finding the fire so the eng company knows where to go.

It's totally reasonable to believe the truck company was inside that basement. Truck company operations are not just Exterior operations

I totally bow to that, but listening to the feed live and a second time the rush was to find the members of 33, no mention of 15. They made is pretty clear over the radio. I don't imagine for sure you heard it. Also, the rush to the guy in cardiac arrest was kind of sudden and during defensive ops/when they had already ordered everyone out.

I totally bow to that, but listening to the feed live and a second time the rush was to find the members of 33, no mention of 15. They made is pretty clear over the radio. I don't imagine for sure you heard it. Also, the rush to the guy in cardiac arrest was kind of sudden and during defensive ops/when they had already ordered everyone out.

The guy in cardiac arrest was pulled out of the rear by a truck company. You have the roles here sorta confused. Its impossible to make any sort of guess who was who, there were more than likely members of the truck with the engine when it went bad...the confusion of who was missing happens in every fatal fire.

Archived