• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

they werent in the building for more than 2-3 mins before the mayday was called. chief on the news assumed that a window broke out front and the fire proceeded to cut off the engines egress possibly. - just heard that on the news, 

yea this was later on but shows the danger and ferocity. Talked with dept FFs here at work today who visit 33 when they go to Fenway. Brave souls

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works fine here.

Current conditions at

Boston, Logan International Airport (KBOS)

Lat: 42.38°N Lon: 71.03°W Elev: 20ft.

More Local Wx | 3 Day History | Mobile Weather

Charlestown MA

7 Day Forecast

Taunton, MA

NWS Weather Forecast Office

Tonight

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly

Cloudy

Low: 32 °F

Friday

Showers Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%

Showers

Likely

High: 53 °F

Friday

Night

Showers Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%

Showers

Likely

Low: 44 °F

Saturday

Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 80%

Rain

High: 52 °F

Saturday

Night

Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 100%

Rain

Low: 36 °F

Sunday

Rain Chance for Measurable Precipitation 90%

Rain

High: 41 °F

Sunday

Night

Rain/Sleet Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%

Rain/Sleet

Likely

Low: 33 °F

Monday

Chance Rain/Sleet Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30%

Chance

Rain/Sleet

High: 46 °F

Monday

Night

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly

Cloudy

Man that younger FF was a big brother to this kid. The whole family was crying on the interview. Hard not to do the same when watching.

BFD said there was actually a backdraft but it was after they were entrapped.

Turns out Walsh and Kennedy went through the inside basement stairs. Walsh was not recovered until 8pm. It was hinted that Kennedy was the one being worked on in the videos online with the CPR, he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Ed Kelly says the heat of the fire may have burned through the extension in the hose lines.

The buildings furnace was reported to have previous issued. Also a recently installed elevator may have aided the fires travel from floor to floor. 

Looks so clean too.  I guess they don't use much sand or salt in your area.  The snow is much dirtier in my area.

Kevin hates sand - his town doesn't use it. 

I recorded my last trace of snow this morning but there is still good snow in the woods.  I'm hoping that will keep things cold enough to keep the sap flowing.  Otherwise, this is going to be a very short maple season for my area.  I had 67 days of continuous snow on the ground which is actually a few days shorter than my long term average.  It would have been much longer if we didn't have those warmups but that wasn't in the cards.  FWIW, this March for me has one of the larger departures from my normal than I've had since January 2004.

I recorded my last trace of snow this morning but there is still good snow in the woods.  I'm hoping that will keep things cold enough to keep the sap flowing.  Otherwise, this is going to be a very short maple season for my area.  I had 67 days of continuous snow on the ground which is actually a few days shorter than my long term average.  It would have been much longer if we didn't have those warmups but that wasn't in the cards.  FWIW, this March for me has one of the larger departures from my normal than I've had since January 2004.

Consider yourself lucky, very few people up here have been able to boil much or at all.

Truck company operation are ventilation, forcing entry, search and rescue, outside ventilation, and finding the seat of the fire to direct the 1st due eng company with the hose line.

The truck company was in the basement conducting a search and finding the fire so the eng company knows where to go.

It's totally reasonable to believe the truck company was inside that basement. Truck company operations are not just Exterior operations

This info came out today in more detail;

"The firefighters from Engine 33 responded to the ground-level basement in the rear of the building. One of the firefighters geared the pump, another hooked up the hose. Though normally assigned to Ladder 15, Kennedy was detailed to Engine 33 on Wednesday, and he led Walsh, his lieutenant, into the burning basement with a hose that firefighters call a big line."

"Captain Neal Mullane led an extraction team to get to their two trapped comrades, but the flames washed over them, burning them, pushing them back.

It took a while, but they got Kennedy out and began chest compressions, rushing him to Mass. General. But there was nothing they could do. They couldn’t get to Walsh. Some firefighters from Engine 42 saw where Walsh fell, but they couldn’t get to him. The fire was so intense.

It was left to Joe Finn to make the hardest decision any chief can make, and that was everybody get out, and nobody go in. They had to leave Walsh until it was safe to go in and get his body. For Finn, as good a man and as good a firefighter as this city has, it was excruciating."

I actually met Neal Mullane a long time ago as a kid. He was burned badly, but will be okay.

When they ran out of salt in Feb..they bought some sort of awful sand/salt mixture and dropped it a couple times..Thankfully it seems it was mostly salt..but there was def some sand in it as it's visible on the road sides. The 4-5 inches of rain this weekend will wash most of it away I hope

Will is going to have a field day in the climate change thread if we do get a stronger Nino. The Warministas are going to be out of control.

if we do get a nino we'll probably break global temp records and that would be consistent with climate change

Archived