amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, those are both cool. There's also the "North Salem Balancing Rock" a few miles south of I-84 as it crosses into NY. Checked it out last summer...

dMhXn2B.jpg

There's debate about whether it's an ancient monument/shrine or merely lucky placement of a glacial erratic, and now that I see there are very similar structures elsewhere in the region, I'm almost tempted to buy into the former theory.

glaciers retreated,rocks stacked,soils washed out

Tolland doesn't have a drug problem, but we do have this

@petermarteka: #Tolland's land of balancing boulders, 1,000 waterfalls and flooded stone walls in #Nature. http://t.co/ljCRMHE2lU http://t.co/RJ3kZheiuS

https://twitter.com/petermarteka/status/451743801493565440

Your property taxes are absurd. why pay almost twice when you can live next town over and still disrobe in winter at the same rate?

There is the second biggest free standing boulder and caves down the street from me, the ocean 2 miles from me, a world class city 15 minutes from me, Cape Cod 40 minutes from me...but congrats Tolland. Your brook and boulders are nothing like any nature path in New England.

Doesnt he complain about Obama, democrats, liberals....then dont pay high taxes for great public schools and move to a lower tax bracket and send the kids off to private. Conservatism ftw.

The whole tax thing is dumb at times. There is no coincidence that towns that pay higher taxes have good schools, civil service..infrastructure...etc. There isn't some King hoarding all the money.

It's beautiful out there. Just ran to CVS sans jacket - was nice to be able to do so!

I have an awful cold/bronchitis complete with a fever. Been feeling like crap since Tuesday. Just awful. 

Indeed it is.  I've been spared any illness this winter season.  Daughter and friends had a bug a week ago but thus far I'm good. Soccer practice tonight will be nice.  Still hoping to spare late Sat AM's game from rain.  Hopefully it's just a wet field and some lingering drizzle.

Doesnt he complain about Obama, democrats, liberals....then dont pay high taxes for great public schools and move to a lower tax bracket and send the kids off to private. Conservatism ftw.

BC that's more expensive.  A town with lower taxes may have crappy schools, let's say Tolland taxes are $7500/yr-he could move to East Hartford and save $3000, but the tuition for private schools is going to be more than $3000.  So you stay where you are, gripe about taxes, but at least the schools are good. Same deal here vs Bridgeport or Stratford

And its not just "indoor people use" and "outdoor winter enthusiasts dont". Im sorry that has close to nothing to do with the issue. My brother was an outdoor winter lover, loved skiing probably more than even the die hard skiiers in NNE. This issue goes deeper for him and for all addicts.

I see what you are saying and I didn't mean to make it sound like its that black and white. Addiction can happen to anyone. I've got relatives that have had pill issues, my grandfather is a life-long alcoholic that ruined my mom's life, we all know people. Even if we don't think we do, someone you know has a problem.

However, at least in Vermont, and I know Maine as well (through efforts by the Maine Winter Sports Center), there is a correlation in depression, drug use, and obesity in communities that have easier access and higher rates of participation to outdoor recreation in the winter and communities that don't. The MWSC figured it out a while ago, and they give schools and communities cheap ski gear and are big advocates of keeping communities active in the winter. They do a lot with XC skiing especially because you don't need a ski hill in your town to do that.

Maybe it comes down to income and education too, as there's almost always a correlation between those two and drug use. Again it's not cut and dry, anyone can become an addict if the opportunity is there, but up here (not speaking anywhere else), there is a correlation between staying active in outdoor recreation in the winter and drug use, obesity, and depression. It's not black and white though.

Archived