• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

I don't think that's what they are saying...it is about the recent rise of opiate addiction in Vermont. There isn't really an association between maple syrup and heroin; it's just about the culture of a traditionally clean/healthy state being affected by opiate abuse.

Yes and thats not the right way to raise awareness to address the concern/problem. But I dont know what the point of it was.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hype sells even on the shoulders of troubled families. Disgusting and pathetic.

I don't really see any problem with it...they are actually promoting awareness of the issue by creating such a provocative cover, which will attract more readers. People will read more and discover that Rolling Stone does give a fairly accurate portrayal of the problem Vermont faces with opiate abuse. 

Also, they are dispelling the myth of certain places of being free of the specter of drug addiction. Vermont has an image of this clean lifestyle, free from the problems of urban areas. This puts that idea to rest. 

Stowe closes on 4/20 at 4:20

:lol:

I'm really hoping to make one more trip up north, but I want the weather to cooperate if I'm going to make the 3 hour drive. I'm not going to ski right after rain...and both this weekend and late next week are looking rainy outside of places like Sugarloaf which is too far for me to do a day trip.

Sunday River may get some snow out of the one tomorrow night, but its marginal. Its too bad about next week because a couple days ago that one wa slooking pretty nice for NNE.

I don't really see any problem with it...they are actually promoting awareness of the issue by creating such a provocative cover, which will attract more readers. People will read more and discover that Rolling Stone does give a fairly accurate portrayal of the problem Vermont faces with opiate abuse. 

Also, they are dispelling the myth of certain places of being free of the specter of drug addiction. Vermont has an image of this clean lifestyle, free from the problems of urban areas. This puts that idea to rest. 

I agree with this, Socks. Raising awareness about the issue is a good thing - just like Gov. Shumlin tried to do by devoting his entire state of the state address to the state's struggle with heroin.

It's a magazine - of course they're going to use a provocative cover. If that provocation raises awareness than there's a net benefit IMO. 

:lol:

I'm really hoping to make one more trip up north, but I want the weather to cooperate if I'm going to make the 3 hour drive. I'm not going to ski right after rain...and both this weekend and late next week are looking rainy outside of places like Sugarloaf which is too far for me to do a day trip.

Sunday River may get some snow out of the one tomorrow night, but its marginal. Its too bad about next week because a couple days ago that one wa slooking pretty nice for NNE.

man this week would have been perfect, then again it was perfect my week.one thing is SR recovers from rain unbelievably. Also at this time of year unless huge qpf falls in a high dew environment the skiing remains good but yea too bad. Always hope though for tomorrow to be better.

I agree with this, Socks. Raising awareness about the issue is a good thing - just like Gov. Shumlin tried to do by devoting his entire state of the state address to the state's struggle with heroin.

It's a magazine - of course they're going to use a provocative cover. If that provocation raises awareness than there's a net benefit IMO.

It's not just VT either. The entire I-91 corridor is Heroin Highway. NYC to Burlington VT. W MA has a huge problem and it affects every town poor or affluent.

When a packet of smack is cheaper than a six pack of beer it's no wonder there's a problem.

It's not just VT either. The entire I-91 corridor is Heroin Highway. NYC to Burlington VT. W MA has a huge problem and it affects every town poor or affluent.

When a packet of smack is cheaper than a six pack of beer it's no wonder there's a problem.

It's all over ern ma too including where I live. It's sad..people get addicted to pain killers and then this awful drug is able to be bought at a cheaper rate than pain killers.

I think taunton has one of if not the biggest heroin problems in the state. Just this calendar year alone ( 3 months) there has been like 140-150 reported overdoses and 10 deaths.

The police department is drained of resources and on weekends they are responding to sometimes 7-10 overdose calls a day

Local EMS guys report the same ,sad.

I disagree with the notion that VT is a "cleaner" place than other areas.  I've lived there so I know it's not but anyone who hasn't had his head in the sand for the past few years knows that rural areas across the country have meth/heroin and other drug issues.  People can pretend that they are bucolic but they have the same problems as urban areas - it's a society issue.  It's not just VT that's dealing with it as others have pointed out.

I'm just a little sensitive about it for obvious reasons but I get their motives.

Maine's heroin-overdose numbers are climbing as well.  In addition, pharmacies are replacing convenience stores as the robbery target of choice, with drugs replacing cash as the goal - removes one step from the process.  For a while, it seemed as if BGR was the bath salts capital of the known world, though that appears to have calmed a little.

I think I would be pissed if I lived in VT. Obviously Rolling Stone magazine being a little glamorous here.

VTheroin.png

Personally I don't see the problem although maybe Maple Sugar producers hate it....but the state obviously has an issue and if Vermonters put half the time into fighting the problem as they do worrying about their image, we might be able to get somewhere.

As it is now, State Police are pulling over out-of-staters on I-91 for any excuse imaginable and finding all sorts of stuff from Mass and CT. The other day a woman and child from Hartford were stopped and had like 30,000 dollars of heroin packed in the car. Springfield, Mass has also been one popular spot it seems to be coming from.

Tolland doesn't have a drug problem, but we do have this

@petermarteka: #Tolland's land of balancing boulders, 1,000 waterfalls and flooded stone walls in #Nature. http://t.co/ljCRMHE2lU http://t.co/RJ3kZheiuS

https://twitter.com/petermarteka/status/451743801493565440

Nice place, nice pics.  To see something quite similar in NNJ, if you have Google Earth go to 40N, 57', 41" by 74W, 23', 7" and peek at "Tripod Rock."  We always called it Triboro Rock (near the meeting point of 3 towns) when I grew up there in the 50s/early 60s.  Trees are a lot bigger than when I last visited.   :nerdsmiley:   Fewer lichens, bigger support rocks, but otherwise of a piece.

if i had vermont's climate i'd probably be a drug addict too

It's true...this state has two types of people, ones that love outdoor winter recreation and like winter because of that. And the other side that doesn't ski/snowboard/snowmobile/etc has no desire for winter. Guess which group of people are being affected the most by it? We don't hear about it much in ski towns as most of those populations are people that are stoked for winter and generally more in the beer drinking and Mary Jane world....but rural VT towns with 20-something year olds that are bored out of their minds (only so many video games you can play) and heroin is actually cheaper than pot...you can see where the climate, lack of sun, etc can play on someone who has no need for cold/snow.

It's like why Maine was the bath salt capital for a while (maybe still is?)...any cold/dark place seems to lead to more drug issues. Alaska has the highest per capital drug/alcohol dependence in the US...I'm sure that's not by chance.

Nice place, nice pics.  To see something quite similar in NNJ, if you have Google Earth go to 40N, 57', 41" by 74W, 23', 7" and peek at "Tripod Rock."  We always called it Triboro Rock (near the meeting point of 3 towns) when I grew up there in the 50s/early 60s.  Trees are a lot bigger than when I last visited.   :nerdsmiley:   Fewer lichens, bigger support rocks, but otherwise of a piece.

Wow, those are both cool. There's also the "North Salem Balancing Rock" a few miles south of I-84 as it crosses into NY. Checked it out last summer...

dMhXn2B.jpg

There's debate about whether it's an ancient monument/shrine or merely lucky placement of a glacial erratic, and now that I see there are very similar structures elsewhere in the region, I'm almost tempted to buy into the former theory.

I dont agree with the cover, maybe for people that dont have a close loved one hooked on it, they like the cover. For me, its a cheap hype that hits home and disturbs me. But whatever, at least it gets peoples attention so i can at least say that.

And its not just "indoor people use" and "outdoor winter enthusiasts dont". Im sorry that has close to nothing to do with the issue. My brother was an outdoor winter lover, loved skiing probably more than even the die hard skiiers in NNE. This issue goes deeper for him and for all addicts. we have a fundamental problem in our society on all levels. Unfortunately im not a great writer nor do i have the time to come up with a typhoon tip type of post on this topic while im on the crapper at work.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit but this ish is serious, and hiding behind a screenname gives me some peace to speak my mind at least.

Archived