Newest Member
    joxey
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This info came out today in more detail;

"The firefighters from Engine 33 responded to the ground-level basement in the rear of the building. One of the firefighters geared the pump, another hooked up the hose. Though normally assigned to Ladder 15, Kennedy was detailed to Engine 33 on Wednesday, and he led Walsh, his lieutenant, into the burning basement with a hose that firefighters call a big line."

"Captain Neal Mullane led an extraction team to get to their two trapped comrades, but the flames washed over them, burning them, pushing them back.

It took a while, but they got Kennedy out and began chest compressions, rushing him to Mass. General. But there was nothing they could do. They couldn’t get to Walsh. Some firefighters from Engine 42 saw where Walsh fell, but they couldn’t get to him. The fire was so intense.

It was left to Joe Finn to make the hardest decision any chief can make, and that was everybody get out, and nobody go in. They had to leave Walsh until it was safe to go in and get his body. For Finn, as good a man and as good a firefighter as this city has, it was excruciating."

I actually met Neal Mullane a long time ago as a kid. He was burned badly, but will be okay.

We grabbed a hose line, we charged it [and] we made a push as hard we could to get to that stairwell and get down those stairs,’’ Mullane said.

“We were trying to get down the stairs. We just couldn’t. Then there was a backdraft,” he said, using a firefighting term for what is essentially a smoke explosion.

As he spoke, Mullane’s physical injuries were obvious, and unmistakable. His right ear was purplish from a burn and his right eyebrow was half burned off. The hair on the right side of his head was burned off, and there was a burn on the right side of the back of his head.

“I got blown down the stairs. Eight of us got blown down the stairs,’’ Mullane said. “It burnt my face. It blew my mask right off firsthttp://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/03/27/when-routine-turns-crisis/VciKjCDUWGZbp8saE1jWGM/story.html#skip-target

LOL BOX has flood advisories where there was no flood watch yesterday. I have no idea why they never had one.

They had one out here for the added water from snow-melt.  That was happening in earnest, the stream flowing down my road was looking like heavy rain and the rain hadn't even started yet. 

Lots of areas with water pooled on ice, lots of mud.  Some areas still look white.

I wonder how long it'll take to get into wintry precipitation tonight.

34.5/34

Many streams here in South Woodstock are at or above bank fill, and hearing FD in Thompson and Putnam out for basement flooding

They call out the fire department for a flooded basement???? LOL

We had trenches dug in ours in Maine to provide channels for the water to run.  Too much rock just below the surface to dig them here, but our boiler, softener, and oil tank are set on concrete platforms to keep them above the water most of the time.

They call out the fire department for a flooded basement???? LOL

We had trenches dug in ours in Maine to provide channels for the water to run.  Too much rock just below the surface to dig them here, but our boiler, softener, and oil tank are set on concrete platforms to keep them above the water most of the time.

Some people do, of the ones this morning one was due to a electrical problem secondary to basement flooding the other had a foot of water in the basement

Archived