• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
As this storm approaches be honest with yourself and decide whether you are a giver or a taker?

Deck Pic

This board used to be much more informative with plenty of maps and analysis.  It appears that much more information is now protected by pay sites and perhaps can't be copied here.

I'm happy to read and not ask questions, but it is more and more difficult to find relevant information.  

You have boards for banter, but the main threads are littered with banter, primarily from those of you with 10,000+ posts.

As a public schools operations officer, I need relevant and timely information, and I'm finding this board much less useful - especially this year. 

some of the banter is caused by thin skinned posters responding to newbies.  if everyone just scrolled past a post they didn't like it would shrink the number of comments.  let the mods delete what they want.  like 10 different people responded to someone's post in the other thread.  so that's 10 useless posts versus 1 posted by someone living in richmond.  i mean, who are the real perpetrators there lol.  funny board sometimes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, is it ok to say that I love Matt? Dude keeps me laughing.

I have no clue if I've ever contributed anything except maybe some fairly obvious observations and optimism. I mainly come here to hang out with people I like. I usually don't mind anything others post EXCEPT definitive statements. There are only a handful here qualified to make them. I'm not one of them, that's why I don't make them. Still, it isn't my place to scold or troll, so I'll probably just hang. I've grow tired this year and don't have the energy to investigate. I think that's a testament to what a quality winter it's been. No need to watch, just wait. It has delivered consistently.

some of the banter is caused by thin skinned posters responding to newbies. if everyone just scrolled past a post they didn't like it would shrink the number of comments. let the mods delete what they want. like 10 different people responded to someone's post in the other thread. so that's 10 useless posts versus 1 posted by someone living in richmond. i mean, who are the real perpetrators there lol. funny board sometimes.

Not disagreeing with you, but remember there is a very important social aspect to this board.

I tend to agree about lack of maps. Especially multiple run comparisons. I used to do it all the time the last couple years but it's time consuming and I spend too much time as it is doing this stuff.

I use mostly paysite now and ncep is horribly slow so by the time you post something its way old news. I think h5 vort and anomaly panels are most important for new folks getting used to understanding clues. I may take some time to post more of those. Too bad there a no free sources for good euro 500mb plots. I push it enough with Wxbell stuff.

This board used to be much more informative with plenty of maps and analysis.  It appears that much more information is now protected by pay sites and perhaps can't be copied here.

I'm happy to read and not ask questions, but it is more and more difficult to find relevant information.  

You have boards for banter, but the main threads are littered with banter, primarily from those of you with 10,000+ posts.

As a public schools operations officer, I need relevant and timely information, and I'm finding this board much less useful - especially this year.

That is unfortunate because there are many on AmWX - from different areas - who really like the sub-forum. I am sure you can quickly scroll through and find the relevant information you need. It is something I had to do in a timely fashion in grad school all the time.

I would have to say that I am a taker. I lurk and read like crazy. There is so much to learn even though I have been lurking and learning for many years. When I want to post something informative, it is usually old news because I am a user of free sites, like molasses slow NCEP. So I shut up and just ask a few questions to clarify something I don't understand. But usually someone else has already asked the question, so again, I shut up. Lurk. Take.

So a heartfelt thanks for a great site with many great (and sometimes hilarious) givers.

yoda, you are more than a 40% giver. And c&p'ing is totally fine. We get threads clogged up with really lame stuff all the time. C&P and all the model pbp you do is far far from lame. Do it all day long as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate it. Even simple stuff like lwx disco is fine when it adds to the meat and potatoes of the thread.

I'd prob say for me 60/40... 60 taker that is.  I don't really ask "how much" questions... i try to add some stuff... I do c&p a bit too much...

I'd say you're probably one of the few posters I look for in storm threads because you provide good pbp, add relevant c&p stuff (disco, etc), and have a very level-headed posting style without being an a** to others on here.  

Long time lurker. Just started posting this year . I know enough to be dangerous . 38 years @ this hobby. But the analysis Bob, Matt, and HM give is invaluable. If I don't understand something or might b unsure what a model might depict. I come here and read. I have gained great knowledge and insight from those 3 posters. Nothing against anyone else. Lot knowledgable people on here. But after lurking for 4 years, I have to say these 3 posters provide sound and fact based analysis . And people who have ?'s. Should just read back through the forum. 9 times out of 10 you will find your answer.

Since I have lived I Roundhill for 16 yrs I no the climate of my area pretty well as for model reading and analysis I will leave that to people with much expertise like Wes, bob chill, Matt, yoda and others. This is the only place I check when a storm is the way, don't bother with local weather forecasters get much better info on this site, thanks for taking the time for all the analysis, so yes I am definitely a taker, but that's better than cluttering the site with how much for mby. I will pop in when it's obs time.

I lurked for quite awhile when this was Eastern WX Forums, and then finally joined during the winter of 2009-10.  By that point I had some idea of the "personalities", who had good input and who was knowledgeable, etc.  Likewise, I learned those who tended to make the most weenieish or otherwise overly sarcastic or downright insulting posts.  It took awhile to realize some of that was trolling for humor, though.  I used this site for input "lurking" as a non-user, as I got a lot of information about models, especially the Euro, more than I could get on my own looking at other sources.  The discussions were invaluable.  I've found this site (Eastern and the current American WX incarnation) to be highly informative with lots of intelligent people.  Certainly a far cry and in a totally different league than the AccuWeather Forums!  After awhile I got up enough confidence to actually join and make contributions to discussions, even to get into light banter when appropriate.  I'll admit to being as weenie-like as anyone (especially concerning snow!), and I do like to add levity with some humor now and then especially when things are exciting...but I also do try to add to the discussion, contribute knowledge as best I can, and otherwise be respectful.  A lot of times I still just read and get information.

I'd prob say for me 60/40... 60 taker that is.  I don't really ask "how much" questions... i try to add some stuff... I do c&p a bit too much...

You and Bob Chill are best of the best. When pressed for time I look for your posts. Your model play by play is rock solid

I give what I can and participate the best I can. I certainly take from those who have the knowledge and experience and try to learn as much as I can. I think my best contribution is my recollection of past events. I never ask any ridiculous questions about storms or imby. I can be honest in saying I give more than I take.

Overall I think this forum is one the best regional forums. Definitely a lot of very good and knowledgeable posters. I'm pretty easy going and don't take things personally and for the most part I like the vibe most posters in this forum give off, however there are a couple a longtime regulars that I don't particularly care for. They do nothing but take and offer nothing. The worst part is they belittle others and display arrogance in the majority of their posts. Sorry for the end of post rant

On a side note I have seen several in this forum grow from good posters to great ones.

Nah you are more like 90/10 and you take your beratings from Ian and Matt very well. Your posts are almost always excellent and provide great info and require me to do a lot less digging.

the bad ones tend to treat a message board like a chat room instead. Anything that pops into the mind gets posted--- gut feelings, internal narrative of doubts, proclamations, "just telling it like it is," etc. 

'zactly.  Nailed it.  That's possibly the biggest problem this forum has in the serious model/storm discussion threads. Nobody cares what some nobody's gut feeling or non-fact-based opinion is.  There are obvious exceptions and the double standard for the long time givers is fair no matter what some taker says. 

Bring back weenie tags; read only, unable to post for the storm duration (or some other arbitrary time frame).  Storm Mode is seemingly ineffective these days but perhaps that is a subjective observation and others feel it's working.

Props to the moderation that deletes many of the **** posts which clog the discussion threads during crunch time, contribute nothing to the quality of the thread, and ruin the informativeness of discussion threads. 

All we ask of you weather gurus, is that you tell us exactly how much snow is going to fall 10 days in advance. Then we can regurgitate this information to our co-workers, so they think we know what we're talking about. I think that's fair.

All we ask of you weather gurus, is that you tell us exactly how much snow is going to fall 10 days in advance. Then we can regurgitate this information to our co-workers, so they think we know what we're talking about. I think that's fair.

lol I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but regardless, this isn't the best way to introduce yourself if you're a total n00b.

Archived