• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
As this storm approaches be honest with yourself and decide whether you are a giver or a taker?

Deck Pic

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this board. I keep my trap shut because I don't know crap about weather but you guys all make me laugh, and every now and again someone says something that even I can wrap my mind around.

This year my big accomplishment was learning what -sn and +sn meant. I handily used it in the observation thread and felt a momentary flash of brilliance. ;)

Your NWS office is Wakefield.  Don't they have a backoffice phone number for school system administrators to get school closing guidance?

Our Emergency Management Office gets updates directly from Wakefield when storms are approaching.  I also have access to a proprietary VDOT web site, which forecasts hourly conditions, to include deck and pavement temperatures for every county and city.  

It goes without saying that AKQ and LWX are often wrong, so I really like to see the opinions of a wide variety of experts to analyze and discuss the models and possible outcomes on a board such as this.

I'm no dummy - engineering degrees from MIT and UVA - and have learned to anticipate the range of outcomes in many different scenarios.  I consider that range of outcomes, with all due consideration of the expected intensity and magnitude of incoming systems, in making recommendations and decisions that affect over 100,000 people - sometimes over 10 days per year (i.e. 2009-10, last year, and this year).

I really gotta give it up to the mets and skilled amateurs in the MA sub forum.  I read the NY storm thread for a few model runs to see how their PBP goes and its pretty awful.  Depending on who is looking at the model run, the PBP is completely different ("heavy snow in SNE" vs "looks south" for the same model run).  

You're definitely in the top 10 candidates since back in the wwbb days for needing to be permanently 5-posted. 

Thank you for your very insightful post number 24, hopefully 25 is more of the same pearls of wisdom. Hopefully everyone will become infected with your incredible wisdom.

Archived