Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like 5-7", He amended.

I think that was for the euro run. 18z gfs was 2-4 mostly for our area and Ballmer. It doesn't matter much. Things are moving around. And in the right direction for now. Euro is quite precip heavy compared to other guidance.

I'm rooting for the most precip possible like matt. Don't care how mixy it is. 1"+ liquid would be a awesome with the colder trend. I want to see society stopping glacial madness.

I think that was for the euro run. 18z gfs was 2-4 mostly for our area and Ballmer. It doesn't matter much. Things are moving around. And in the right direction for now. Euro is quite precip heavy compared to other guidance.

I'm rooting for the most precip possible like matt. Don't care how mixy it is. 1"+ liquid would be a awesome with the colder trend. I want to see society stopping glacial madness.

Yup, I'm in with you guys.  I want a ton of frozen precip...I'd really like snow, but I'll take any frozen.

The ECMWF being the wettest model is always a good thing.

From ewall looks like only 1 or 2 warm solutions left on the GEFS (and even those have some snow on the back end). QPF in the 0.5-1" range for the most part, and wouldn't be surprised to see it trend wetter as things have all year esp wrt the GFS. Even the DGEX is now cold at the sfc. Only the UKMET (and GGEM at the start) on the warm side as of now.

Interesting that depending on when the front comes through we may torch quite a bit Sunday afternoon. Something to keep in mind if temp profiles suggest ZR - roads may not be as impacted. But that is starting to get too detailed for where we are at this point. 

Yup, I'm in with you guys.  I want a ton of frozen precip...I'd really like snow, but I'll take any frozen.

I would be ok with a sleet fest with some snow at the end. Zr or a prolonged sleet/zr mix would scare me with all the big trees I have around my house. Ice storms are cool if you don't live in the woods. One thing about getting accumulating sleet this time of year, it would stick around longer than a few inches of snow. The Feb 1994 event was about 4 inches of sleet/zr and it took forever to melt.

Since 1880 you have ~135 March months x 31 days = 4185 March days. Assume those ~150 March snowfalls were mostly within one day. So, about 3.6% of March days feature an accumulating snowfall.

Not really rare?

correct...a weather occurrence that has happened 150 times in 125 years is not rare.....I have had accumulating snow in the city in March, 7 times in the last 9 winters......To me something that I can expect to happen say 80%+ of winters, is not rare....So I guess it depends on how you interpret the word rare....Though I am confident most people would agree with me would not consider a weather event that occurs in most winters to be rare..

more precip almost definitely means more frozen in this case...a colder solution is almost definitely going to be wetter than a warmer solution in this setup

correct...a weather occurrence that has happened 150 times in 125 years is not rare.....I have had accumulating snow in the city in March, 7 times in the last 9 winters......To me something that I can expect to happen say 80%+ of winters, is not rare....So I guess it depends on how you interpret the word rare....Though I am confident most people would agree with me would not consider a weather event that occurs in most winters to be rare..

It hardly ever snows during March, less than 4% of total days.

The panels I see have it north of DCA at 1 pm Monday and south at 7 pm. Do you have a site where I can narrow that down?

I only see the 1pm MON and 7pm MON panel as well... but one can easily see that on the 1pm panel, the 0c 850 line is close by... like 50 miles to the N and W.  By 7pm panel, 0c line is down by RIC.  So, one could extrapolate that the 0c 850 line prob crosses through all of DCA and is south of there by ~3pm MON

GFS is all snow for Westminster, .97 qpf

Mapgirl, where do you get the text qpf output? 

At this point Towson looks like mostly snow on the GFS, with possibly some mixing at the start.  18z 850 temps cooler than 12z, but not as cold 06z, when the whole column was well below freezing for the duration.

I usually only refer to the SREFs for trends in QPF, SLP, etc and something else in between the globals & NAM.  SREFs are worlds apart from the GFS and Euro.  Surface freezing line is still up in central PA at 12z Monday.  

I know SREFs generally are unreliable, especially towards the end of their run, but are they particularly bad with CAD situations?  I would assume so since CAD is picked up better by the higher res models?

Archived