Newest Member
    CHSVol
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EPS is the Euro ensembles. 

I just learned from Wes this year that the control run is a lower resolution run of the euro with the exact same initial conditions. The remaining eps members all have slightly different intial conditions (perturbed). When the op and control show large differences it can uncover potential problems from errors magnified down the line with higher resolution.

Todays control looks like the op. Nice shellacking of snow. heh

I just learned from Wes this year that the control run is a lower resolution run of the euro with the exact same initial conditions. The remaining eps members all have slightly different intial conditions (perturbed). When the op and control show large differences it can uncover potential problems from errors magnified down the line with higher resolution.

Todays control looks like the op. Nice shellacking of snow. heh

Yes i learned the same thing from him. I just saw EPS and did not realize he asked about the control run. It is always good though when the control agrees.

Like we have stated in the past it is not good to use as a tool but along with others it is helpful. It has sniffed out a couple big storms first in the past.

Eh.. disagree but feel free to look if you must. 

I can't i am too cheap to shell out for Wxbell or SV. Since i cannot see it anyone way i will agree with you  :P .

Model data is like heroin to people here.  But.. there's not necessarily a reason to consume it all.  I dunno what the point of looking at a less skilled version of the Euro is other than hoping it shows what you want.  It's basically like searching for the p00x of the GEFS that gives you the most snow IMO. 

Model data is like heroin to people here.  But.. there's not necessarily a reason to consume it all.  I dunno what the point of looking at a less skilled version of the Euro is other than hoping it shows what you want.  It's basically like searching for the p00x of the GEFS that gives you the most snow IMO. 

Definitely true, but when everyone is anxious like they are now it helps soothe the nerves when the control agrees. I am not really that cheap but i don't get it for the reason of, i already spend an inordinate amount of time on this site and if i got them i would never talk to my friends or family.

Why don't you go pound sand Phiny.

I only have 150 posts here, so I'm in no position to tell anyone off. But I find your posts to be atrocious.

Anyway, 12z GGEM ensemble members look very good: http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=ggemens&run_time=12z&param=members----850mbTSLPprecip&map=NA&run_hour=96

All members except 1 are frozen @ 96hrs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/what-is-washington-dcs-weather-like-in-march-breaking-down-norms-and-extremes/2012/03/11/gIQAqgDJ7R_blog.html

climo_mar_year_snow.gif?uuid=tyopqGujEeGMonthly snowfall (in inches) by year in Washington, D.C. from 1888-2011. See sources for data.[/size]

Normal March snowfall in D.C. is 1.3”, this is down 0.4” since the last 30-year climate average. In recent years (back through the 2000s), March snow has been hit-or-miss. It occurs about every other year on average with most instances quite low as far as accumulation goes.

About 150 accumulating snow events, including those which were primarily rain but had some snow stick, have occurred in March since records began in the late 1880s. 33 percent of those events reached accumulation of at least 3”. As recently as March 2009, an event dropped 5.5” of snow on the first days of the month.

climo_mar_top_snow.gif?uuid=tsigNGujEeGJThe top 10 accumulation events in March at Washington, D.C. Numbers are in inches of snowfall.[/size]Two snow events at D.C. have reached right around one foot of snow. One hit it on the nose on the 27th into the 28th in 1891. The other holds the daily record for March at 11.5”, and it happened on the 29th in 1942. Nine other days have witnessed 6” or more snow, most recently March 9, 1999.

This confirms that accumulating March snows are extremely rare.

fwiw- euro ens are totally fine @ 850 for the followup hecs. MSLP and precip panels suggest a further east solution. We still get precip though. 

He's wrong about the ensembles "burying" us. It's 50 shades of grey for us with all panels. Delmarva scores some green. The control is a big hit though. I hope that's not what he's using for his "aleeet"

Anyone confirm the "aleet" from DT that EC Ensembles are colder for the late week event?

I only have 150 posts here, so I'm in no position to tell anyone off. But I find your posts to be atrocious.

Anyway, 12z GGEM ensemble members look very good: http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=ggemens&run_time=12z&param=members----850mbTSLPprecip&map=NA&run_hour=96

All members except 1 are frozen @ 96hrs.

Right, because the number of posts you have determines your rank on the americanwx social ladder.  ^_^

This confirms that accumulating March snows are extremely rare.

I don't know...depends, I suppose, on one's definition of "accumulating."  My interpretation of those plots is that significant accumulating snows are (extremely) rare, i.e., warning criteria or greater.  But getting measurable (0.1") or more, or some kind of minor amount, is not really all that rare.

Archived