• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

more precip almost definitely means more frozen in this case...a colder solution is almost definitely going to be wetter than a warmer solution in this setup

I agree. 18z gfs was a step wetter than 12z. Euro speaks for itself. Euro ens say the euro op was spot on with it's depiction overall but close in like this the ensembles are supposed to be pretty close to the op. I've said this several times this year but most if not all storms coming up from the south have trended wetter leading in. Not sure it can get much wetter than the euro but the gfs seems to have caught on with thermals first. Now the euro comes in pretty wet and the 18z gfs bumped too. There is really nothing to complain about today. It's been a great day.

I've missed the euro the last 3 nights. I'm pretty sure I'm up tonight. For better or for worse.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually only refer to the SREFs for trends in QPF, SLP, etc and something else in between the globals & NAM. SREFs are worlds apart from the GFS and Euro. Surface freezing line is still up in central PA at 12z Monday.

I know SREFs generally are unreliable, especially towards the end of their run, but are they particularly bad with CAD situations? I would assume so since CAD is picked up better by the higher res models?

don't sweat the srefs at this range. The skill of that ens suite is much lower at the end of it's run than the other globals. Once we are inside of 72 they gain some usefulness. Like the nam, I only look at the srefs seriously inside of 48.

don't sweat the srefs at this range. The skill of that ens suite is much lower at the end of it's run than the other globals. Once we are inside of 72 they gain some usefulness. Like the nam, I only look at the srefs seriously inside of 48.

Yeah, I'm not putting much stock in them for now, but just another thing to look at before the 0z suite begins.  

Mapgirl, where do you get the text qpf output?

At this point Towson looks like mostly snow on the GFS, with possibly some mixing at the start. 18z 850 temps cooler than 12z, but not as cold 06z, when the whole column was well below freezing for the duration.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/data/index.html

You will need to navigate to the google map that has the station locations, I believe the one you'd want to look at is Martin Airport. From there you want Cobb output. That will give you a text output per model/run.

NAM might look worse at first glance, but it will end up better (GGEM-ish), colder is slower but theres nice confluence setting up with a stronger shortwave coming

Dude it's the NAM beyond 60.  I mean, I guess it's fine to look at...but I wouldn't put much stock into it until 12z Saturday at best.

It seems like in the past, when we have depended on Arctic air to come rushing in, the models have done this a lot faster than what ends up happening. Is this a real phenomena? Or just due to the fact that we normally bust high on temps.

2 thoughts..

1.Usually models are to slow when precipitation gets in. So, it just ends earlier. 

2. This is super cold arctic-- hence, the faster movement POSSIBLE. (and more suppressed route)

While snow in March is certainly not common in DC, is your point that we won't see any snow out of this based solely on climo?   I think you need to hedge climo a bit, considering the air mass advertised.

It's not an assessment on winter precip chances for next week, just an objective review of the data...accumulating snow is rare in March.

Nam sucks but it was an interesting run. It was slower than 18z with the cold front initially around 54hrs, than by 78hrs it made a comeback and was south of 18z.

My biggest concern is the surface. Last time we were waiting for a shallow cold airmass to come over the mountains it was an atrocious 10f warmer than the 24hr forecast on all models.  Have to wait until we're closer in to worry about this though.

Archived