Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, because the number of posts you have determines your rank on the americanwx social ladder.  ^_^

Ha!!  Yeah, maybe something more along the lines of "percent of weenie/useless" posts is a better measure.  One can have 10s of thousands of posts, all of which add nothing...while someone else has a few hundred but good analysis.  I'm sure I stand guilty as charged with a certain percent of my (just over 1000) posts being weenieish or the like, but hope a good majority add to discussion (as I'm sure everyone hopes for themselves)!

As for the PVs in Canada, the EPS/Euro didn't really change anything too much. Arguably, they are ever-so-slightly stronger with the eastern Canadian PV and weaker with western Canadian PV. Comparing the runs to yesterday's warm runs, the Quebec PV is more consolidated on today's run. Perhaps, this is just enough to bring the significantly colder changes; otherwise, things are rather similar up there between yesterday and today. Every small difference matters I guess!

I think the power of the cold air source is another thing that will continue to be more and more realized.

As for the PVs in Canada, the EPS/Euro didn't really change anything too much. Arguably, they are ever-so-slightly stronger with the eastern Canadian PV and weaker with western Canadian PV. Comparing the runs to yesterday's warm runs, the Quebec PV is more consolidated on today's run. Perhaps, this is just enough to bring the significantly colder changes; otherwise, things are rather similar up there between yesterday and today. Every small difference matters I guess!

I think the power of the cold air source is another thing that will continue to be more and more realized.

This is very interesting.  I know there's been discussion of just how cold the GFS 2-m temperatures have been projected, so if the models in general are gradually "realizing" the magnitude of the cold, perhaps it's not completely out to lunch?  Not saying it's spot-on, but something to not dismiss.

It's far from resolved but I think we are nearing a conceus on a all frozen event . Most every major model has shifted south. My wag, but I think just small shifts now. But being in the battleground zone, small shifts may mean big changes for our area.

I think we've still got a few days before we can be sure that it's all frozen or that a big winter storm is a lock. I loved today's trends, but knowing where we live, we can never be that sure of anything this far out or make specific forecasts at this range, since there's still time to trend warmer or drier, depending on how far south the cold air digs. But hopefully that won't happen.

I remember thinking the same thing in Feb 2007, but just a few days out, we had some big northern shifts which ended up being heartbreaking for those of us hoping for 10"+. Still turned out to be a good storm for many of us in the end, but it was a close call.

This is very interesting.  I know there's been discussion of just how cold the GFS 2-m temperatures have been projected, so if the models in general are gradually "realizing" the magnitude of the cold, perhaps it's not completely out to lunch?  Not saying it's spot-on, but something to not dismiss.

I think the main thing is that raw model temps are almost always too cold.  That said, if the model shows an 18z temp of 22 it's probably going to be like mid-20s or so.. which is still pretty cold. 

I think we've still got a few days before we can be sure that it's all frozen or that a big winter storm is a lock. I loved today's trends, but knowing where we live, we can never be that sure of anything this far out or make specific forecasts at this range, since there's still time to trend warmer or drier, depending on how far south the cold air digs. But hopefully that won't happen.

I remember thinking the same thing in Feb 2007, but just a few days out, we had some big northern shifts which ended up being heartbreaking for those of us hoping for 10"+. Still turned out to be a good storm for many of us in the end, but it was a close call.

I think the difference with the VD storm in Feb. 2007 is that I recall for days, the GFS was set on giving us a HECS-level snowfall.  Then over the weekend, the NAM started looking warm(er), and the GFS followed suit.  In fact, at that point both models did not do well with the CAD and had us pushing 40-50 degrees, when in fact we remained below freezing and got sleeted on (with ice farther east/south), followed by an icebox.  Now I admit I have no recollection of what the Euro or Canadian were doing with the 2007 storm offhand.

The current situation has gone back and forth more than the 2007 event.

A rookie question: Do models count all frozen precipitation as snow on the snow maps they output?

Depends on who's providing the model output. WxBell... yes, they're infamous for that. I think Accuwx's snow maps do the same.

But MDA/EarthSAT only counts snow as snow, which is what all of them should do.

Depends on who's providing the model output. WxBell... yes, they're infamous for that. I think Accuwx's snow maps do the same.

But MDA/EarthSAT only counts snow as snow, which is what all of them should do.

In all fairness, I do believe the NWS officially counts sleet as snowfall accumulation as well for the records.

Archived