CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I get that the 'burbs can get bigger. DCA? Yeah, not so much.

The point I was really trying to make is that it's kind of silly to set a bar (7", 8", whatever) for how long since DC (DCA in particular) got that amount or more in March, without taking into consideration the other factors.  March 1993 was a storm of historical proportions and significance, so even if DCA got "only" 6.6", factor in everything else and that would have to obviously top most everything even if other events got more in terms of actual snow.  It was also very cold right after that, something you just don't see in mid-March.  Also, I believe many areas in the immediate metro area (not just the farther out 'burbs) got close to 12" in that storm.

I'm not saying this potential event early next week will be on that level.  However, if we get a half-foot or so of snow at DCA with more in the suburbs or whatever, and also get the very cold air that the models are advertising, that would be pushing a historical-type of event for March.

The OP EURO is biggest flip i have ever seen on a model that close to the storm.....Id like to see one or two more consistent runs. With that being said, the cold appears to be real and its a major winter storm either way whether its snow or not. I wont be here but I am hoping for a big snow so when i come back Wednesday, i can at least see what i missed:(

Not sure if someone posted already. 12z gefs still quite mixed. For every acceptable solution there is an unacceptable one. Hopefully the euro ensembles support the op run. If they don't favor the op then I'll feel like another day passed with little gain in confidence. 

Yup, it's still kind of clear as mud at this point though the operational trends are nice.  Did the Euro ensembles match the operational for last night's 00Z, or did they actually look more like what today's 12Z op shows (i.e., colder)?

Based on past march events, I am 110% sure this will bust somehow.

we've got way more of a cold air supply than we did on that debacle of a storm last year (3/6/2013). Based on seasonal trends, the latest Euro looks pretty reasonable with its Westminster/Parkton jackpot.

Based on past march events, I am 110% sure this will bust somehow.

Yes, the hundreds of events with -35c h85 temps in southern Canada you see this time of year. Nothing unusual. I'm sure your data set is large to make this statement and analogous?

we've got way more of a cold air supply than we did on that debacle of a storm last year (3/6/2013). Based on seasonal trends, the latest Euro looks pretty reasonable with its Westminster/Parkton jackpot.

The setup is a lot less complicated than last march, where the models just struggled with the evolution of the storm which caused decreased QPF. Bust potential is lower but I am just saying it is something people should keep in mind because the last two times we were supposed to get over 8 inches in march it busted badly.

The setup is a lot less complicated than last march, where the models just struggled with the evolution of the storm which caused decreased QPF. Bust potential is lower but I am just saying it is something people should keep in mind because the last two times we were supposed to get over 8 inches in march it busted badly.

Who is forecasting over 8"? We are 4 days out! What does it even mean to "bust" at this time frame?

You are the only person making definitive statements that this is sure to bust. So who are you really talking to here?

March 2009 busted badly in DC?

Archived