• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Out of the last 20 winters (94-95 - present), how does 13-14 rank qualitatively for you, SO FAR?

Deck Pic

Qualitatively rank it, SO FAR  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Good enough you'd want a SQL?

• I'd obviously rank it 4th behind the big 3, duh...
    • It actually cracks the top 3
    • It's # 1 :o
    • It is #5
    • It doesn't even crack the top 5, but is obviously top 10
    • It isn't even in my top 10, yo
    • It is my least favorite winter of the last 20
    • I'm going to totally ignore the fact that you limited it to last 20, and answer based on 92-93, 93-94 being included
    • I wasn't here for every winter in the last 20, so I am going to base my results on the winters I was here

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#5.

09-10

95-96

02-03

03-04

13-14

An asterisk should be placed next to my 03-04 because I was in State College at the time and they had a 6 ft winter wrt snowfall, while this area had an avg one. While it appears I'm ranking them based on snowfall tallies, I have specific reasons. 

09-10: you can't beat the big 3 storms. 

95-96: the blizzard of 96 was amazing. The surprise snow during that week made it even better. I don't care about the melt. Snow was on the ground long enough to enjoy it.

02-03: snow on the ground most of the winter where I was. The PD storm wasn't as big in central PA, but we still managed about 18 inches. 

03-04: I'm sure my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I had snow on the ground for most of the December - March stretch. I remember getting a foot while this area was getting rain. It was a very solid winter and I'm not sure I shouldn't rank it above 02-03.

13-14: It's been a good winter. I'd like to think that I'll reach 35 inches (at 32.25 right now), which would be nearly double seasonal. That's solid. And the big storm was fun despite the melting during the lull. I actually think I had more fun with the ULL passage than I did what fell Wednesday night. 

It's been a great winter. I just can't shake the feeling that this has been a N&W winter. It kinda feels like we have had sloppy seconds all winter. Don't get me wrong. I would take this season anytime. I did get to see thundersnow, along with some 2-3" per hour rates. I think my favorite event this season was the upper level low that followed the coastal storm a couple weeks ago. That was a AA county special.

I can't give you twenty years worth but I have kept a spreadsheet since 2001-2002 please see below.

2001-2002 - 3.85"

2002-2003 - 60.5"

2003-2004 - 10.1"

2004-2005 - 26.8"

2005-2006 - 18.8"

2006-2007 - 14.4"

2007-2008 - 10.95"

2008-2009 - 14.4"

2009-2010 - 87.1"

2010-2011 - 20.5"

2011-2012 - 3.1"

2012-2013 - 13.5"

2013-2014 - 33.5" (and counting)

This year is one of our better years (which I predicted here on the board in November by the way!  Everyone was saying it was going to be an average or below average year and I told the to reconsider based on the fact that solar flare activity was going to be below average and the fact that the Chesapeake Bay water temperature cooled off quickly this year (40 degrees on December 1st).

I'm going to put it at third for me slightly in front 02/03. If something decent happens in March it will definitely solidify the choice. The fact that we never went more than 2 weeks or so between events weighed heavily in this winter cracking the top 3. Also the fact that all three meteorological winter months produced at least 17 or more inches in any one given month showed the consistency of this winter season. We received 17 inches in De. and 17 in Jan. So far Feb. has seen 34.3. The amount of days with snow cover has been very impressive as well.

02/03 of course was great but also was heavily anchored by PDII in my opinion. After the early Jan. clipper that over performed that year there was hardly anything measurable until Feb. 6/7. The storm following PDII at the end of Feb. also was a semi bust. This is why I have to rank this year in front of it.

One of my favorites, actually ahead of 02-03 for me because snowstorms seem to be a bit more consistent and numerous. Mid-December was fantastic with three 3-6" storms within a week (not to mention the 4"/hr death band on 12/8) and every month of met winter had plenty to offer with snow, and LOTS of snow cover too. The subzero temps were a nice bonus and something I've never experienced as a weather weenie till this year. Same with being able to step onto a frozen lake.

I'm going to put it at third for me slightly in front 02/03. If something decent happens in March it will definitely solidify the choice. The fact that we never went more than 2 weeks or so between events weighed heavily in this winter cracking the top 3. Also the fact that all three meteorological winter months produced at least 17 or more inches in any one given month showed the consistency of this winter season. We received 17 inches in De. and 17 in Jan. So far Feb. has seen 34.3. The amount of days with snow cover has been very impressive as well.

02/03 of course was great but also was heavily anchored by PDII in my opinion. After the early Jan. clipper that over performed that year there was hardly anything measurable until Feb. 6/7. The storm following PDII at the end of Feb. also was a semi bust. This is why I have to rank this year in front of it.

I am tempted to put this one ahead of 02/03.  Not sure if you lived out this way for that one but there was a decent 8" storm on 12/5/02 plus a somewhat surprising 6.5" on Christmas eve/day...most of the heavier stuff falling mid-morning on Christmas, so that had a decent distribution of snow even in Dec.  But little fell in March, so March is up for grabs this year which would definitely tilt this year to No. 3 if not already.

I am tempted to put this one ahead of 02/03.  Not sure if you lived out this way for that one but there was a decent 8" storm on 12/5/02 plus a somewhat surprising 6.5" on Christmas eve/day...most of the heavier stuff falling mid-morning on Christmas, so that had a decent distribution of snow even in Dec.  But little fell in March, so March is up for grabs this year which would definitely tilt this year to No. 3 if not already.

I lived in Reisterstown then. We got between 7 and 8 on 12/5/02 and about 5.5 on Christmas. There was an event on 3/30 that year. I happened to be up in Westminster that day and there was 3-4 inches of wet snow. About 1.5-2 fell in Reisterstown. Somehow BWI recorded over 2 in that storm but I don't know how as most reports from around that area were an inch or less.

The combination of snow and cold ( in some cases extreme ) have made this an outstanding winter. I don't remember ponds freezing over like this in any of the other top winters. I also can't ever remember a winter with this much of a snow gradient between us and BWI.

02-03 was a mix of under (2/27, 1/16) and overperformers (12/5, 1/5)......everything has overperformed up there this winter....though if you like overall cold obviously 02-03 blows this winter away, even up there

you guys got a 3-5" storm on 3/30 and another 1-2" on 4/7, though you may have been over winter at that point...

02-03 was pretty spread out...other than T-1" events which there was a bunch...snow was pretty well distributed for us...95% fell in the following 9 events

12/5, 12/25, 1/5, 1/16, 2/7, 2/16, 2/27, 3/30, 4/7

One of my favorites, actually ahead of 02-03 for me because snowstorms seem to be a bit more consistent and numerous. Mid-December was fantastic with three 3-6" storms within a week (not to mention the 4"/hr death band on 12/8) and every month of met winter had plenty to offer with snow, and LOTS of snow cover too. The subzero temps were a nice bonus and something I've never experienced as a weather weenie till this year. Same with being able to step onto a frozen lake.

This sums up my thoughts well, though I don't have the memory that many of you have.

#4 for me

09/10 for obvious reasons, married on 12/19 and then the two feb storms

95/96 13 years old and loving walking around in thigh high snow

1999/2000 while i think the overall winter was kind of meh, the Jan 2000 storm was amazing in every way

13/14 over 5ft for the winter, heres hoping Mt Parkton continues to make the top of the list for years to come

*disclaimer -- I was not living in Central MD for 02/03 winter, hence it not making the list.

I've been in the DC area since 2001, so I don't have a "history" before the (awful) 2001-02 winter.  At any rate, here's the top ones in the time I've been here.

2013-14 currently would rank 3rd on my list:

1.  2009-10 (record snow, 3 HECS-level storms)

2.  2002-03 (cold, PD-II, nice moderate event Dec. 5, overperforming clipper in Jan.)

3.  2013-14 (very cold Jan. with couple nice moderate events, big storm in Feb., maybe score one more good event before it's done?)

I'd have to give an honorable mention 4th place to 2006-07.  Nice back-loaded winter with near record or record breaking bitter cold in February.  Sleetfest around Valentine's Day (~3"), "surprise" 5-6" near the end of Feb., and cold continuing into March and early April (I saw a coating of snow Easter morning the first weekend of April).  If the VD storm that year had given us a lot of snow, it would probably be an easy 3rd right now.  This winter (2013-14) managed to do what '06-'07 didn't quite do with the Feb. 12-13 storm.

And to round things out, here are the bottom 3:

2011-12 (and I thought 2001-02 was the nadir, haha!)

2001-02

2012-13 (at least it had a week of decent cold, with a couple of clippers; though 2007-08 might be up here too)

My top five:

#1: 09/10

#2: 02/03

#3: 95/96

#4: 99/00

#5: 13/14

I'm a little biased aginst 13/14 since I'm in Calvert County now and the other four on that list I was in Glen Burnie. The one thing thats keeping 13/14 out of the top four is the lack of the monster storm (i.e. 12+ inches for everyone with no changeovers). If we get one more WSW criteria snow I'd probably bump it up to #4, since its been more consistent than 99/00. It'll never get in top three regardless of what happens though. This has been more of a winter for those north/west of DC/Baltimore- notice who voted it in the top three and their locations.

I'd like to see a poll for worst winter in the last 20 years, that could get interesting.

I'm going to grade all Lynchburg, but I moved here Summer 1996

1996- nuff said. 

09-10- close to 02-03 totals, but 2 10+ storms trumps

02-03 TONS of events, largest was 6-7 inches. Got to 35 the hard way. 

99-00  Short winter for this high, but options are limited. Best events were Jan 25 with 8.5 and a surprise Christmas eve clipper that dumped 3 inches. 20 inches on year. 

Big cluster of events around here with with 03-04, 04-05 08-09 12-13 13-14 checking in

03-04 had quite a few 2-5 inch events. 

04-05  Year started slow but ended up with 16 inches or so with some events in March

08-09 Cold January where we hit 0, ice storm, 10 inch storm in March

12-13 near climo with once in 40 year event with Palm Sunday 7 inches. 

13-14 constant cold with 13 inches. 10.5 in the hecs. Has a shot at 4 if we can get another good snow. Constant cold with threats made for interest, just could not get any "breaks" down here for track, etc. 

09-10

95-96

02-03

13-14

for some reason, I don't remember much of 03-04... going to have to go look that one up

I am surprised 97-98 isn't #1 on many people's lists....

That winter really kind of hinged on two storms across our sub-forum-- 12/5-6 ranged from 2"-15" across the metro areas, mostly depending on what you got on the first wave. Then, a random clipper managed to drop 7" of snow in northern Maryland on 1/23-24 before the area-wide 4-7" snow/freezing drizzle/snow sandwich.

Archived