• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Out of the last 20 winters (94-95 - present), how does 13-14 rank qualitatively for you, SO FAR?

Deck Pic

Qualitatively rank it, SO FAR  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Good enough you'd want a SQL?

• I'd obviously rank it 4th behind the big 3, duh...
    • It actually cracks the top 3
    • It's # 1 :o
    • It is #5
    • It doesn't even crack the top 5, but is obviously top 10
    • It isn't even in my top 10, yo
    • It is my least favorite winter of the last 20
    • I'm going to totally ignore the fact that you limited it to last 20, and answer based on 92-93, 93-94 being included
    • I wasn't here for every winter in the last 20, so I am going to base my results on the winters I was here

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I changed my vote to put it at #1.  09/10 was obviously awesome considering we got 3+ feet of snow in a few days, but I think I would rank 13-14 tied with it or slightly ahead.  The number of storms this year has been better and the cold has been more impressive.  9" in mid-March after a 5" storm in early March is pretty neat.

I think this might be #1 for me as well.  09-10 was great for sheer volume of course, and 02-03 was fun for me up at PSU with accumulating snow in each month from October to April of that winter.  

But, with solid events every week or two this winter, cold temps, a KU, 14 measureable events (!) and being able to have fun with my kids and watch them play in the snow, this winter will be hard to beat.  

Biggest knock against this winter, IMO, is no white Christmas.  

I don't think anyone in late December could've known that it would be well over 3 months (still yet to happen and no sign of it any time soon) before we get as warm as we did on 12/21-22 :lol:

I don't think anyone in late December could've known that it would be well over 3 months (still yet to happen and no sign of it any time soon) before we get as warm as we did on 12/21-22 :lol:

That brief mega-torch is all that prevented us from perhaps having 5 consecutive months with below normal temps.  

Clearly this winter beats out 02-03 now. It's close to 95-6, but the blizzard helps to keep that winter #2 in my book. Also, I was sick for the two back-to-back events in late February and don't really remember them.

For me, this winter still falls well short of 09-10. Even if DC had done better with some of the 2013 December events, 50" over 12 days, and a HECS before Christmas, is just too much concentrated snowpower to overcome, even if the rest of the winter was noneventful.

I wasn't really tracking storms in 02-03 like I do now. From a sheer scientific, learning, and prolific # of events point of view, this winter is #1 by a mile. We've been tracking REAL threats from basically thanksgiving to st paddy's day and it doesn't look to end here. Pretty much pure ridiculousness. 

No lulls. Even when the pattern went to crap for a time in Dec and Jan, you could already see through the haze and know it's coming back sooner rather than later. I even got into tracking cold temps this year. Usually I don't pay much mind to them as long as they are cold enough for snow. But those outbreaks were pretty wild for a time. 

This winter is my personal benchmark for being a hobbyist. It's going to be a tough one to beat. Well, unless we are entering a multi year pattern like what happened in the 60's...

I wasn't really tracking storms in 02-03 like I do now. From a sheer scientific, learning, and prolific # of events point of view, this winter is #1 by a mile. We've been tracking REAL threats from basically thanksgiving to st paddy's day and it doesn't look to end here. Pretty much pure ridiculousness. 

No lulls. Even when the pattern went to crap for a time in Dec and Jan, you could already see through the haze and know it's coming back sooner rather than later. I even got into tracking cold temps this year. Usually I don't pay much mind to them as long as they are cold enough for snow. But those outbreaks were pretty wild for a time. 

This winter is my personal benchmark for being a hobbyist. It's going to be a tough one to beat. Well, unless we are entering a multi year pattern like what happened in the 60's...

I think if you *had* been tracking storms in 02/03 like now, you would put that one pretty close to this one. An easy 6"er to end the snow drought on 12/5, followed by freezing rain, and a complicated Christmas Eve/Day storm with a one-hour thump on Christmas morning that covers all surfaces. Then, a way-overperforming clipper in early January, a tricky NW fringe in mid-January that hit Richmond (bust for us), and then February. You would have been giddily non-stop tracking for the entire month, starting with another easy 6"er. Then, you have the two multi-day, messy, complicated events: the 2/14-18 HECS ("How much for phase 1?" "When do we change over for phase 2?" "Really, 3" liquid?"), and the model-mayhem 2/26-28 multi-wave storm ("Oops, 2" came in hours earlier than forecast right during rush hour" "Is the snow going to stick during the daytime on 2/27?"). After a break, the last question of the season: "Will light-to-moderate snow stick during the day on 3/31?" 

For me, the reason I can't rank this season better than any of the big three is we never had a multi-day stretch of 15"+ snow cover. Those three winters all had that one (or two) 20"+ snowstorm that made everything stop and the area a snowbound wonderland for multiple consecutive days. It was just too warm after the 2/13 storm for me to enjoy it as much as I would normally a storm of that magnitude. 

I don't think anything will ever beat 09-10 for me personally. I've posted this before, but for some perspective, as of February 11th, 2010, BWI was the snowiest major reporting station in the entire country! 2/10/10

helped put us to number 1 over Syracuse. DCA was 10th in the entire country as of 2/10/10. These stats are simply unfathomable, to say the least. Still cant wrap my head around it!

We had 3 historic storms in 3 months, including the biggest December storm on record (leading

to a white Christmas, though if memory serves me correctly, we had a significant rain event on Christmas Day itself).

Schools were delayed the entire week *after* 2/10 (Howard, not Faquier lol), despite that fact it had not snowed for over 7 days. The massive snow piles at bus stops were considered unsafe. Not a full day of school for two weeks. Went out to dinner downtown (District) the Friday after 2/10 and there was a traffic jam as I entered the city because there were multiple dump trucks removing snow. Posters from places averaging 100"/yr were coming into our subforum in awe, saying they had never seen something like that and thought even their city would be crippled after that.

Will I see a winter similar to this one again in my lifetime? Yes. Will I see another 12 day stretch similar to Jan 30-Feb 10 again in my lifetime? Never say never, but I seriously doubt it. Once in a lifetime stuff. I understand the appeal of wall-to-wall winter, but I'd prefer he numerous boring stretches with 3 HECS and 2 other warning criteria snows.

I'm just rambling at this point, but I'm feeling a little nostalgic. ;) I'd still easily rank 02-03 over this winter as well (its not not even close for me), though this winter has still been epic. :)

still 4th for me...I got a 19" crippling storm in 2003...that is a pretty easy tiebreaker between 2 winters that are somewhat close in amounts....95-96 and 09-10 aren't even in the conversation

Yeah. Everyone has their preferences, so who

am I to judge? But I don't see how anyone can even mention 09-10 and this winter in the same sentence...unless they are talking about how much better 09-10 was, lol. And yeah, PDS2 makes 02/03 way better than this winter as well.

2/13-2/14 was probably the lowest impact 18" I've ever witnessed. Kind of like Feb 2006--the quickest I had ever seen 15" of snow disappear.

I think if you *had* been tracking storms in 02/03 like now, you would put that one pretty close to this one. 

When I moved back in 99 from the rockies I had little interest in snow for a few years because in my post ski bum mentality it wasn't useful anymore. However, i learned a heck of a lot during my years out west. I had it down to a science when to schedule my days off for powder skiing. It took a while to get the hang of orographics and which synoptic setup was the best. My first year in 92 I saw numerous warnings bust huge and lots of surprise events. It was all about location and upper level flow out there. And every country and range had it's own personality.  W-N flow was money in eastern summit county. Any south or east component was screwjob. 

02-03 kinda rekindled my love of understanding what to look for and why but it didn't really kick in until 06. By 07 on eastern I was an info sponge (and terrible poster). 

Tracking snow is so different based on location. If I moved to MN next year it would be a complete restart of my knowledge base. I'm pretty much a 2 trick pony with snow events. I know summit county CO and the MA. That it. I'm pretty good at wind on the bay but nobody cares about that unless they fish so I never talk about it. I'm starting to toy with longer leads in other seasons but I mainly keep those thoughts to myself. 

This year was just an incredible mental exercise. That's why I place it #1 from a hobbyist standpoint. 09-10 is mind blowing but really just wrapped up in a 6 week package for the most part and winter ended early. By late Feb I had the feeling of needing more. I don't have that feeling this year. I'm kinda over it. I need to concentrate on other things like fishing and disc golf now. lol

Yeah. Everyone has their preferences, so who

am I to judge? But I don't see how anyone can even mention 09-10 and this winter in the same sentence...unless they are talking about how much better 09-10 was, lol. And yeah, PDS2 makes 02/03 way better than this winter as well.

2/13-2/14 was probably the lowest impact 18" I've ever witnessed. Kind of like Feb 2006--the quickest I had ever seen 15" of snow disappear.

Agreed. I would rather have my nearly 48 inches as a 24 incher in December and a 24 incher in February and nothing else. The torch the day of and after the Feb KU ruined it. Nothing like walking through a foot of mashed potatoes in shorts. It was also disappointing to miss out on the ULL fun compared to areas to the east who got another foot out of it.

I would rank this as 4th best behind 2009/2010, 1995/1996, and 2002/2003.

Still a fun winter. I would redux it forever if given the chance.

I think if you *had* been tracking storms in 02/03 like now, you would put that one pretty close to this one. An easy 6"er to end the snow drought on 12/5, followed by freezing rain, and a complicated Christmas Eve/Day storm with a one-hour thump on Christmas morning that covers all surfaces. Then, a way-overperforming clipper in early January, a tricky NW fringe in mid-January that hit Richmond (bust for us), and then February. You would have been giddily non-stop tracking for the entire month, starting with another easy 6"er. Then, you have the two multi-day, messy, complicated events: the 2/14-18 HECS ("How much for phase 1?" "When do we change over for phase 2?" "Really, 3" liquid?"), and the model-mayhem 2/26-28 multi-wave storm ("Oops, 2" came in hours earlier than forecast right during rush hour" "Is the snow going to stick during the daytime on 2/27?"). After a break, the last question of the season: "Will light-to-moderate snow stick during the day on 3/31?" 

For me, the reason I can't rank this season better than any of the big three is we never had a multi-day stretch of 15"+ snow cover. Those three winters all had that one (or two) 20"+ snowstorm that made everything stop and the area a snowbound wonderland for multiple consecutive days. It was just too warm after the 2/13 storm for me to enjoy it as much as I would normally a storm of that magnitude. 

Weeks ago I was on the fence, but now I'm convinced this year solidly beats 02-03. It was colder from January onward, it had several more snowstorms, and the boom to bust ratio was better IMO. 02-03 fizzled out after PDII, this one has gone straight from the 2nd week of December through now.

The lack of a HECS isn't much of a big deal to me, especially since we had so many in 09-10

Weeks ago I was on the fence, but now I'm convinced this year solidly beats 02-03. It was colder from January onward, it had several more snowstorms, and the boom to bust ratio was better IMO. 02-03 fizzled out after PDII, this one has gone straight from the 2nd week of December through now.

Even northern MD got 4-6" during 2/26-28/03. But, I get it--- since this season now rivals the 02/03 total, it's just based on preference at this point. 

The lack of a HECS isn't much of a big deal to me, especially since we had so many in 09-10

I'm not sure that stands up

BWI temps:

Year.....Jan.....Feb

This March will definitely be colder than 2003, but I think some are underrating just how cold 2002-2003 was to go with the epic snow. Not that the intent of this post is to change your mind about a subjective debate, but just to acknowledge the cold of 2002-2003.

I'm not sure that stands up

BWI temps:

Year.....Jan.....Feb

This March will definitely be colder than 2003, but I think some are underrating just how cold 2002-2003 was to go with the epic snow. Not that the intent of this post is to change your mind about a subjective debate, but just to acknowledge the cold of 2002-2003.

I'm in no way underestimating the cold of 2002-03... I remember it well and how incredibly persistent it was, so for any winter to beat it in terms of both cold and snow (which 09-10 failed to do with the former) is astonishing.

As far as 2014 vs 2003, it depends on where you were. BWI may have been warmer in February this year, but for much of the time I was at Millersville and they were actually colder this year, both January and Feb. I think on a couple of occasions, there was a strong temp gradient which allowed a few mild days, but the warmth didn't quite reach northern MD/southern PA, whereas Feb 2003 was cold throughout the east and probably more anomalous further south which is common in an El Nino.

For BWI, there's no doubt that 02-03 was a better winter than this year. But north/west of Baltimore, it's a much harder question.

Even northern MD got 4-6" during 2/26-28/03. But, I get it--- since this season now rivals the 02/03 total, it's just based on preference at this point. 

It was a decent storm but it fell below expectations, then winter was pretty much done after that. The late March storm had trouble accumulating where I was.

I'm in no way underestimating the cold of 2002-03... I remember it well and how incredibly persistent it was, so for any winter to beat it in terms of both cold and snow (which 09-10 failed to do with the former) is astonishing.

As far as 2014 vs 2003, it depends on where you were. BWI may have been warmer in February this year, but for much of the time I was at Millersville and they were actually colder this year, both January and Feb. I think on a couple of occasions, there was a strong temp gradient which allowed a few mild days, but the warmth didn't quite reach northern MD/southern PA, whereas Feb 2003 was cold throughout the east and probably more anomalous further south which is common in an El Nino.

Are you comparing Millersville to MD or to itself for 2003 temps?

They would definitely be an anomaly in the general area if Feb 2014 was colder than Feb 2003. PHL was like 2F colder in Feb 2003 than this year. But a place susceptible to radiational cooling might have pulled off a colder February this year as there were more nights like that this year.

Are you comparing Millersville to MD or to itself for 2003 temps?

They would definitely be an anomaly in the general area if Feb 2014 was colder than Feb 2003. PHL was like 2F colder in Feb 2003 than this year. But a place susceptible to radiational cooling might have pulled off a colder February this year as there were more nights like that this year.

To itself. Millersville was 25.9 last month and 26.7 in Feb 2003. They seem to do well with radiational cooling so I think that really helped them this year.

To itself. Millersville was 25.9 last month and 26.7 in Feb 2003. They seem to do well with radiational cooling so I think that really helped them this year.

Wow, that must have been the reason. IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/NYC/BOS right up the line were all generally 2-3F colder in February 2013 vs this year.

But I did look up TTN just now since it radiates a bit better and they only missed 2003 temps by 0.3F. So it definitely appears that was a factor. I thought IAD would have been closer, but maybe they were too far south this year to take advantage of a couple extra good cold outbreaks.

Wow, that must have been the reason. IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/NYC/BOS right up the line were all generally 2-3F colder in February 2013 vs this year.

But I did look up TTN just now since it radiates a bit better and they only missed 2003 temps by 0.3F. So it definitely appears that was a factor. I thought IAD would have been closer, but maybe they were too far south this year to take advantage of a couple extra good cold outbreaks.

It also helps that Millersville had snow on the ground for the entire month, which wasn't the case for the DC/BWI area. They had some wicked cold on a few days, especially 2/28.

You can easily access their data here and choose any month from the past 100 years.

I think this winter for a few people in the 65-80" range in N MD is crazy, and can be in the argument with the big 3. Over 4 feet on the winter here in Dundalk which is remarkable. Received 34" in PD2 though which is ridiculous to think about. Not to mention 20/21/31 in the big 3 of 09/10 plus a 5 and a 6.

Some say it wasn't spread out but to think we received top storms for 2 respective months is awesome. Not to mention S MD was greeted with a low end KU in 1/30/2010 where we received the surprise aspects up around Baltimore in the CRAS storm. That period alone etched memories I'll never shake. 

Events this year of 3.5, 6, 7.7, 7.9, and 14 are a really great way to roll towards a memorable winter. The surprise aspect comes in how great the winter has been and how storms like 1/21 and 3/17 played out not to mention the 2/13 totals with incredible rates. Theres something in it for everyone, with the insano-band of 12/8 for the N MD folks that pushed them ahead. Our biggest bust of the year was 12/10, which I kinda saw coming. Imagine if the heavy rain event of February that changed to snow around HGR would've had colder temps, it would've been another 6+. Nevertheless, we've overperformed far more than under this winter. Cold-snows a plenty. 

Archived