joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah...I am talking about a warm nose below 850mb between say 8z and 12z...

Well then this will be an uber weenie response...

Given the antecedent cold air in place, if anything we should have an issue farther aloft (i.e. 800 mb and above).  900 mb is close to 3000 feet.  Unless we've got ripping easterly flow instead of NE or even ENE -- and keep in mind (again) how cold the waters are -- I'm not so sure how much of that "warming" will be materialized. 

I haven't looked at the specifics of the latest short term models (RAP), or even the EC thermals.  BUT, are we really thinking that elevated warming would move in as early as 8-9Z?  That's like less than 12 hours from now.  I had always thought DCA was good through 12Z.  Maybe that's NAM hugging, but still...

The NAM and GFS we should be fine...

This is the warmest DCA gets on the 18z NAM..12z GFS is a bit colder, but we flirt

9z - 925,900,875,850,825

+ 15. 1012.1 -0.6 -0.6 -0.3 -0.3 -0.8

I haven't looked at the specifics of the latest short term models (RAP), or even the EC thermals.  BUT, are we really thinking that elevated warming would move in as early as 8-9Z?  That's like less than 12 hours from now.  I had always thought DCA was good through 12Z.  Maybe that's NAM hugging, but still...

What do you think of the high resolution NAM?   The depiction at 850 mb suggests warming above freezing crosses the western Chesapeake Bay near sunrise and vascilates for 7 to 9 hours.  It seems the consensus is lots of mixing from 6 or 7 am until 5 or 6 pm and then the backside wrap around could be really OK for another 3 to 5 hours.

I hope the comments about a massive thump overnght verify.

The NAM and GFS we should be fine...

This is the warmest DCA gets on the 18z NAM..12z GFS is a bit colder, but we flirt

9z - 925,900,875,850,825

+ 15. 1012.1 -0.6 -0.6 -0.3 -0.3 -0.8

HRRR hourly loop is really a thing of beauty for you guys, hope it all comes together for you. Have fun and stay safe

That's certainly in the cards. I'd still think it will be interesting to see how the lower levels pan out. I have no problems with an ENE flow crossing an icy Delaware Bay and the thinnest portion of nrn Ches Bay..

What do you think of the high resolution NAM? The depiction at 850 mb suggests warming above freezing crosses the western Chesapeake Bay near sunrise and vascilates for 7 to 9 hours. It seems the consensus is lots of mixing from 6 or 7 am until 5 or 6 pm and then the backside wrap around could be really OK for another 3 to 5 hours.

I hope the comments about a massive thump overnght verify.

I've found the HRRR to be vastly superior to the RAP in almost every circumstance since I've been using them.

In fact I'd rather have the HRRR on my side right now than the Euro.

I like both, but i guess the name hi resolution rapid refresh says something. The 21Z RAP is on roids

Hi guys down there.  Im in NH but my   Mom is being operated on at 7am tomorrow in the DC area.  Looking at the models I think DC wil get  a foot or more but just listening to WTOP and they say 4-8" in the DC area.  Seems way too low for me.  What are they thinking?  Dewpoints are in the mid teens and soon as the snow starts temps will drop.  It will not take long to get to 4".

Hi guys down there. Im in NH but my Mom is being operated on at 7am tomorrow in the DC area. Looking at the models I think DC wil get a foot or more but just listening to WTOP and they say 4-8" in the DC area. Seems way too low for me. What are they thinking? Dewpoints are in the mid teens and soon as the snow starts temps will drop. It will not take long to get to 4".

Oh man, I hope all turns out well.

Questions lie in the strength/duration of the dryslot, and temperatures upstairs. Living in DC has taught me that storms can always find ways to underperform if they want to.

So I think 4-8 is a good call. That's actually a big storm compared to most recent ones since January 2011.

Archived