joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think give me any models but the RPM and to a lesser extent GFS and I'll be happy. I still have no idea what the RPM is except that it looks warm a lot of times.  TV mets seem to like it.  Anyone have a clue about it.

WBAL uses it all the time. Seem to change drastically sometimes from run to run. Definitly tends to run warm. I have noticed it does okay with small scale features like picking up where some banding may occur. Also noticed and don't no if it's a coincidence but it seems to do okay with the last several hours of storms. The run that Tom T had on at 6 showed the back end tomorrow evening looking pretty healthy including your area. Problem is they run it so fast you if you blink your eye you miss it.

WBAL uses it all the time. Seem to change drastically sometimes from run to run. Definitly tends to run warm. I have noticed it does okay with small scale features like picking up where some banding may occur. Also noticed and don't no if it's a coincidence but it seems to do okay with the last several hours of storms. The run that Tom T had on at 6 showed the back end tomorrow evening looking pretty healthy including your area. Problem is they run it so fast you if you blink your eye you miss it.

It also pulled the green rain into Carroll County for a period.

lol..i know its the RAP, but if you look at the end of the 22z run, you can see the ull about to crush us with the backside stuff

I'm pretty much settling into the fact that the next 18-24 hours is going to be pretty awesome for most of us. I guess the stuff later tomorrow is less certain. 

I'm pretty much settling into the fact that the next 18-24 hours is going to be pretty awesome for most of us. I guess the stuff later tomorrow is less certain. 

I'm very interested in the deform from the ull passage. not that I think it's a rakage over me or anything. Just that it will be a great learning experience. Models place the precip all over the place for a good reason. Nearly impossible to pinpoint such a narrow feature. 

I'm very interested in the deform from the ull passage. not that I think it's a rakage over me or anything. Just that it will be a great learning experience. Models place the precip all over the place for a good reason. Nearly impossible to pinpoint such a narrow feature. 

What's your gut saying? lol

lol..i know its the RAP, but if you look at the end of the 22z run, you can see the ull about to crush us with the backside stuff

Yup, Tommy T brought to attention.  He said perhaps several more inches of snow after a lull in the afternoon, or a perceived lull due to sleet/zr/rain.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0095
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0541 PM CST WED FEB 12 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 122341Z - 130515Z

SUMMARY...A LARGE SWATH OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP NEWD
THIS EVENING WITH RATES OF 1-2 IN/HR. THE MOST PERSISTENT BAND
SHOULD EXIST ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS AND ADJACENT PIEDMONT
FROM NWRN NC TO CNTRL VA THROUGH ABOUT 03Z AND INTO THE WASHINGTON
DC METRO AREA BY 06Z.

DISCUSSION...23Z SURFACE OBSERVATIONS CONFIRM A BROAD AREA OF
MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AS FAR N AS THE I-64 CORRIDOR IN VA/WV. 12Z
CONVECTION-ALLOWING WRF GUIDANCE GENERALLY APPEARS TOO SLOW WITH NRN
EXTENT /OUTSIDE OF THE NSSL-WRF/ COMPARED TO RADAR/SURFACE
OBSERVATIONS. CONSENSUS OF CONVECTIVELY-PARAMETERIZED GUIDANCE
APPEAR CLOSER TO REALITY...WITH 15Z SREF MEAN AND 18Z NAM SUGGESTIVE
OF SNOWFALL RATES AVERAGING 1-2 IN/HR. THIS APPEARS REASONABLE GIVEN
INTENSE FRONTOGENESIS/ISENTROPIC LIFT DOWNSTREAM OF A VIGOROUS AND
STILL AMPLIFYING SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER THE SOUTHEAST. THE MOST
PERSISTENT BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL LIKELY EMANATE NEWD FROM THE NWRN
NC/SWRN VA AREA TOWARDS THE WASHINGTON DC METRO AREA BETWEEN 03-06Z.

..GRAMS.. 02/12/2014

What's your gut saying? lol

Gun to head? I would say it banks up against the east side of the blue ridge / catoctins and hangs for a bit and sweeps east and then northeast. The tricky part is the lift on the nw side of the upper level low. Maybe central VA with that feature? Maybe us? 

Ratios with these features are usually pretty high. If someone gets .3 in a relatively short period of time it could = 4-5"

Archived