amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed all the models are trending to a solution where a 2nd batch/deform band forms and impacts the DC metro in some way.  

Here's what I think will happen for greater DC metro:

1.  Front end dump with ~2"/hr rates for everywhere overnight.  4-8" DCA & S/E, 3-5" near the bay.  6-10" N/W burbs

2.  S/E burbs including DCA flip to -ip/-zr for up to 6 hours between ~6 am and midday.  N/W burbs may mix but not fully flip. add ~2" -sn/-ip

3.  Deform band flips DC metro back to snow, additional 2-4"

I think these totals occur:

DCA  6-8" w/ 4-6 hrs of ip/zr

IAD  10-13" w/ ~2-4 hrs of sn/ip mix

BWI  9-12" w/ 4-6 hrs of sn/ip/zr mix

JYO  12-15" all snow

CHO  15-20" all snow

FDK  12-15" all snow

Towns just west of the bay 5-9" total

Equal chances of overperform due to boom deform/rates scenario and of underperform due to mixing/changeover

it is clearly labeled "storm total accumulation"?

Bottom of the map. "Storm total snow forecast In"

So it is what LWX thinks will be on the ground by 12AM Fri, then?  If that's the case, because surely there will be mixing east of 95, it must account for whatever the mix precip does to the overnight/morning accums.

For instance, if I were to receive 6" before changeover, but the sleet/frza/rain knocks that 6" down to 4", and then I get 3" on the back-end, would that be 9" or 7" per this map?

Sorry to bother... just looking for clarification.

What exactly is that map depicting (what does LWX predict)? Snowfall? Total storm snow accumulation? Storm final snow accumulation?  All of these numbers would in theory be different.  Snowfall would ignore melting, etc.  Total storm accumulation would ignore mix in the middle.  Storm final would include the mix in the middle and anything it does to the overnight/morning snowfall - be it rain melting it, sleet knocking it down, etc.

There will be NO melting except perhaps on paved surfaces.  Snow sticks to snow just fine.  It sticks to ground that's been in the deep freeze for a long time just as well.

Noticed all the models are trending to a solution where a 2nd batch/deform band forms and impacts the DC metro in some way.  

Here's what I think will happen for greater DC metro:

1.  Front end dump with ~2"/hr rates for everywhere overnight.  4-8" DCA & S/E, 3-5" near the bay.  6-10" N/W burbs

2.  S/E burbs including DCA flip to -ip/-zr for up to 6 hours between ~6 am and midday.  N/W burbs may mix but not fully flip. add ~2" -sn/-ip

3.  Deform band flips DC metro back to snow, additional 2-4"

I think these totals occur:

DCA  6-8" w/ 4-6 hrs of ip/zr

IAD  10-13" w/ ~2-4 hrs of sn/ip mix

BWI  9-12" w/ 4-6 hrs of sn/ip/zr mix

JYO  12-15" all snow

CHO  15-20" all snow

FDK  12-15" all snow

Towns just west of the bay 5-9" total

Equal chances of overperform due to boom deform/rates scenario and of underperform due to mixing/changeover

Looks good to me, quite similar to my own thoughts. I think DC proper probably ends up with a bit more than 6-8", but DCA probably will measure 6-8"...

I'm more concerned about how much falls before the lull than I am with mix lines and such. Everything trended well for us today through sunrise. SLP appears on the eastern edge of guidance. H5 looked great on every model. 

LWX Nexrad is picking up virga down by RIC already. It will be snowing in about 6 hours. I'm beside myself. 

That would totally crush me with about 1 hour of mixing if it were right.  It is a beauty.  If it verifies you could probably sell the loop at the conference and make big bucks. 

Yeah, it's a beauty. I'm hugging it for now. :P

Will bookmarking it work? Often times these types of links update with new loops. I honestly don't know much about animated gif

Got me. It looks like a special file so it won't get overwritten automatically or something but he may delete it.  Should be easy enough to save it though and then open it on a computer etc. 

Didnt see this posted yet

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0091.html

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0091   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1242 PM CST WED FEB 12 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...VA...SE WV   CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW    VALID 121842Z - 130045Z   SUMMARY...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS   AFTERNOON FROM SERN WV EWD ACROSS MUCH OF VA. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1   INCH PER HOUR WILL BECOME COMMON WITH LOCALLY HIGHER RATES.   DISCUSSION...LATEST WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH   IN THE MS VALLEY WITH A LEAD SHORTWAVE TROUGH EXTENDING FROM THE SRN   APPALACHIAN MTNS SEWD ACROSS SC. WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION IS LOCATED   JUST AHEAD OF THIS FEATURE IN A BROAD ZONE OF WARM ADVECTION FROM   ERN GA NEWD INTO THE CAROLINAS. MODEL FORECASTS SUGGEST LARGE-SCALE   ASCENT ALONG THIS ZONE WILL MOVE NWD OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS BECOME   INCREASINGLY ENHANCED ACROSS NRN NC AND VA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THIS   WILL AID THE DEVELOPMENT OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL ACROSS VA AND   SERN WV LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE 18Z SOUNDING FROM GREENSBORO NC   SHOULD BE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE AIRMASS IN VA...SHOWING THE PRIMARY   ZONE FOR DENDRITIC GROWTH BETWEEN 700 AND 500 MB. AS MOISTENING   CONTINUES TO OCCUR BELOW 850 MB...AN ISOTHERMAL LAYER SHOULD BE   FAVORABLE FOR HEAVY SNOW WITH RATES OF 1 INCH PER HOUR COMMON.   LOCALLY HIGHER RATES COULD OCCUR WITHIN THE MORE ORGANIZED BANDING.   ..BROYLES.. 02/12/2014   ATTN...WFO...AKQ...LWX...RNK...RLX...

Archived