• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

GGEM is 1.5" by 0z tomorrow and maybe a little after that, but 850 line gets out to IAD by 12z....but then is goofy and crashes by 15z...

0.9" by 12z, but we may flip around 8z or 9z...I wouldnt take its thermals too seriously...

So every model is over .75 qpf by 12z correct? Awesome...

As for our friends north, be careful with vertically stacking systems and best lift going northeast up coastal plain. Sometimes they have areas they skip with snow swaths.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with this.   The NMM has a huge wet bias; the ARW bias has been consistently better.   Both are getting upgraded in a few months - it's especially overdue for the NMM http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/ylin/pcpverif/scores/2014/201401/hiresw_east.201401.gif

In the January stats, though, the ARW did run a little wet at higher amounts but was still nowhere near as wet as the NMM.

My statement was anecdotal, based on my use of the model...didn't know of or look at any stats.  In my experience looking at the two, ARW has always been wetter.  Glad they're being upgraded, was just told by WPC they both have a large bias.

good grief. I'm not "jealous" of his seasonal snowfall. it's just stupid to jump into a thread where people are tracking their biggest storm in 4 years and asking about how much snow New York is going to get when there are forums dedicated to those areas full of information.

I've been following the M/A forum all winter cause it is the best (and funniest) and because the Philly forum is basically dead.  I tried not to ask an "imby" question.......I just wanted to see what the real HM thought about the northern area......Is it really stupid.....It is just one question......There will be no follow up question.........There is no need to be rude......A non-response would have been better........fwiw I hope everyone south of me gets buried.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but 12z GFS soundings for DC actually pretty darn ok--we straddle 0c at surface and 850 for hr 27-33, but never see a true warm surge. Definitely colder than the NAM. Reason for difference is that GFS keeps dryslot east of the bay...700RH at hr 30 NAM vs. GFS is night and day. 

Archived