amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think even I have a good chance of 4-6 on the front end and think there still is potential for an inch or two on the back.

I actually generally like their forecast map tho I'm a little more bullish in the DC zone at least. I honestly expect at least 6-8 before any issues. It's cold and the ground is ready. Euro has stepped colder each run again lately too.. Who knows.

Who cares about point and click forecasts?  I don't.

I haven't used one for years with winter weather. Great for deciding what to wear on a sunny spring day though. Winter storms? LWX  disco is all I ever read. We kinda get all OCD here. For all we know, lwx reads our forum. We may be weenies but we're not dumb. And Wes posts here. 

FWIW (not much) latest NMM is essentially best case scenario for DC metro--with deform setting up a nudge east of NAM/Euro http://models.weatherbell.com/news/wrf_2014021212_ref_nmm_east.gif 

Honestly, I think I soiled myself. I'm amazed at how it is barely changing so close to the bay. I'll believe it when I see it but it sure looks beautiful.

About as bullish of a forecast map as I have seen from them:

<pic>

What exactly is that map depicting (what does LWX predict)? Snowfall? Total storm snow accumulation? Storm final snow accumulation?  All of these numbers would in theory be different.  Snowfall would ignore melting, etc.  Total storm accumulation would ignore mix in the middle.  Storm final would include the mix in the middle and anything it does to the overnight/morning snowfall - be it rain melting it, sleet knocking it down, etc.

What exactly is that map depicting (what does LWX predict)? Snowfall? Total storm snow accumulation? Storm final snow accumulation?  All of these numbers would in theory be different.  Snowfall would ignore melting, etc.  Total storm accumulation would ignore mix in the middle.  Storm final would include the mix in the middle and anything it does to the overnight/morning snowfall - be it rain melting it, sleet knocking it down, etc.

Bottom of the map. "Storm total snow forecast In"

I think the grids are being updated waaay to often and at some point will cause confusion to the public officials, EMs, and especially the general public. My "zone" alone went from 6-8, to 4-6, and now on the cusp of 2-4 in less than 24 hours. And yet...nothing has changed from the thermals in that time -- those models that were a touch warmer in the 900-800 mb layer are still so, maybe even not as much so as this time yesterday.

I still would be bullish on the front end snowfall for DC-Balt, whether or not it ends up being 4-6 or 6-8, we'll see.

Oh, and the Bay water temps are about as cold as you can get going into an event like this. Same for the Atlc shelf waters. Keep that in mind. I.E...this is NOT March 6, 3013, on so many levels..

I like my 8-12 for the city now.

Strongly agree with the point that this isn't 3/6/13.  IF there's a bust, it won't be because the snow isn't sticking of we're just getting rain/mix all day.  Temps tonight are golden.  Stickage will be immediate on all but the most highly traveled/pre-treated roads.  

I think the grids are being updated waaay to often and at some point will cause confusion to the public officials, EMs, and especially the general public. My "zone" alone went from 6-8, to 4-6, and now on the cusp of 2-4 in less than 24 hours. And yet...nothing has changed from the thermals in that time -- those models that were a touch warmer in the 900-800 mb layer are still so, maybe even not as much so as this time yesterday. L

I still would be bullish on the front end snowfall for DC-Balt, whether or not it ends up being 4-6 or 6-8, we'll see.

Oh, and the Bay water temps are about as cold as you can get going into an event like this. Same for the Atlc shelf waters. Keep that in mind. I.E...this is NOT March 6, 3013, on so many levels..

I still like CWG 5-10 for the city and less for me....more like 3-6 or 4-6.   I'm not sure of the rationale for lowering Annapolis as I don't see the surface temps being a big problem.  The warm layer will be aloft. 

Archived