• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro qpf and snow maps are pretty funny with the Ct river valley from the Canadian border to the Ct coast in a mini screw zone ala 92, an upslope on East winds area is going to get smoked, take Qpf with a grain of salt, speaking of salt, tremendous inflow of our salty neighbor providing nuclei for snow growth. IMHO this is better than depicted for areas and beware the backside( not yours Marky Mark)

I gotta sack up and pay for some ECM data... I hate going by the PBP posts though everyone's been great with that. 

I've been trying to think what role terrain may play up here... though NE winds are usually fairly good for limiting downsloping in a lot of areas of NE VT.  What the CPV and BTV area has going for it is Champlain Valley convergence towards the end.  Watch that with deform and north winds funneling into the Valley between the Dacks and Greens.  BTV can rack up some pretty solid totals with low water in those situations.

Here's what I'm thinking:

First half of the storm has an ENE component as storm passes east and intensifies. As it does so, ageostrophic flow takes over, backing the flow NNE across the region.

First half of the storm BTV-RUT will downslope like a mofo. Second half they make up for it. I think a general 6-10" across NVT with highest amounts on eastern facing slopes.

I'm a QPF queen. I have a hard time believing we would do better than anyone along the east slope of the Whites and into the ME foothills. I just don't see how this area beats your area to Lewiston...although you spelled out your concerns. I've never been a fan of expecting big ratios to ramp up accumulations...though deform bands are known for that. I just hate relying on that in a forecast, but haven't really looked at snow growth too much yet.

When you have good omega from H5-H7 in the deformation banding you're pretty much guaranteed high ratios.

euro qpf and snow maps are pretty funny with the Ct river valley from the Canadian border to the Ct coast in a mini screw zone ala 92, an upslope on East winds area is going to get smoked, take Qpf with a grain of salt, speaking of salt, tremendous inflow of our salty neighbor providing nuclei for snow growth. IMHO this is better than depicted for areas and beware the backside( not yours Marky Mark)

Yeah this should have some sort of orographic signal to it... the Maine foothills are just going to get slaughtered. 

Up this way, I'm starting to rely on climo and know that although some models will try to downslope all of VT off the Whites, what ends up happening is a more tighter downslope into the CT River Valley, but then upslope enhancement again on the Spine in the middle of VT.  Usually the model grids aren't small enough to realize those little nuances as the Spine (while big terrain) really only takes up a chunk of real estate that's maybe 5-10 miles wide, and the global models aren't going to resolve that.

One more bump east tonight and it puts all of us into the CCB instead of ALb right now.So instead of an additional 2-5 we'd get 6-10 more..again assuming it bumps east again

lol.

Been out all morning, and read through some of the posts after the Euro came out, but this is the first thing I see when I get to the end.

Euro close to keeping Hartford, ORH, Even close to Lawrence/Lowell all snow... -1 is warmest @ LWM it appears. (850)

With the upper levels so wrapped up, this is a setup where it's hard to imagine that 850mb is the warmest level.  And I suspect all of SNE has the threat of some taint.  NW MA obviously has the least likelihood, but still not impossible.  I think the mixing line basically follows the mid-level dry slot here.  Then the column crashes hard.

Here's what I'm thinking:

First half of the storm has an ENE component as storm passes east and intensifies. As it does so, ageostrophic flow takes over, backing the flow NNE across the region.

First half of the storm BTV-RUT will downslope like a mofo. Second half they make up for it. I think a general 6-10" across NVT with highest amounts on eastern facing slopes.

Yeah, good points on the downslope and upslope.  Fully agree with you on the RUT-BTV comments.  The back end of this system has a pretty good blocked flow developing on the 4km BTV WRF, which would favor high ratio snow in the western slope communities and into the BTV area.  Aloft the winds in the deform zone are NEly, but at the surface its NWly in the Champlain Valley under the ridgeline inversion... you can pretty much picture it with NE winds at 3,000ft and higher, but NW under that pushing moisture into the mountains on the VT side of the CPV. That low level air rises as it hits the mountains and is forced up into the NE flow aloft, and then the NE winds aloft push that snow back west into the CPV. 

weird - the map out of Gray has 10-14" riding the coast up until at least Penobscot, but this one looks like it wants to step down the snow anywhere near water. 

CAR's map has the taint going farther inland, but even on the GYX map it looks like only 4-6" for ROK.

I can see where there is going to be some real disappointment for some on here if backlash snows don't come to fruition

No disappointment here because of low/no expectations (and the front end looks great, anyway.)  Haven't seen a significant backlash snowfall since moving down from Ft. Kent (in 1985.)  In fact, except for 4/23/86 in NNJ, that's the only place I've seen it.

PF will never accept it.

Haha nope.  But not many on here actively accept and start thumping jackpot for themselves.  Its sort of like board etiquette to not spike the football.  Post positives for other areas and stay conservative in your area... unless you are Blizz or something ;)  You even said it in a post a little while ago, when posting something about eastern areas you had to caveat it with "this is not a weenie IMBY post...but..."  I'm not one to sit here and post "I'm going to get slammed, and wow, that looks like a toaster bath for the south coast, etc"

Powder freak always goes low to a fault. Trauma of having one forecast bust high

But (pfreak)knows his stuff very well.

Agree. His main flaw is he's too cheap to pony up for better model data. Actually most available free now but may not be as timely in some cases.

I had kind of figured slop only for me...a few inches but things look different now. If I were forecasting I'd call 4-8 for MBY.

Archived