• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

Just out of work...catchin up.

At first glance it would seem box will up amounts 495 to Bos "area" given 12z guidance . (They had 128 belt at 2-4".

This is looking more now that BL will be cold enough for coast tommorrow mid day for near warning accums ,mets ? Just trying to get latest thinking, busy day

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing to watch perhaps is the front end maybe almost favoring ern areas. This isn't an IMBY post, but some models have been hunting at that.

Anyways backlash is more ern NY Kevin.

Yes it does...the strongest ML frontogensis on the front end is in eastern areas. the LLJ really tries to crank up into RI/E MA.

This front-end looks better than the SWFE event from what I can see, for snow totals down this way.  That's crazy on the Euro.

Yeah that was definitely a little bit colder...looked like an ACK track.

Keeps W of 495 pretty much all snow...and it still gets the VT chairlist noose-tiers with good backlash so pretty good run for a large chunk of New England.

That's all we could hope for.  Look good enough to get us over the 3 or 4" advisory threshold up this way?

U20s or so my guess. Might even be mid 20s for a while

Yep, go colder than model guidance on the front end thump...esp in interior. This airmass is not going away easily. We have like -8F dewpoints over the interior right now. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was like 20-22F or a while during the first part of the storm over th einterior.

Yep, go colder than model guidance on the front end thump...esp in interior. This airmass is not going away easily. We have like -8F dewpoints over the interior right now. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was like 20-22F or a while during the first part of the storm over th einterior.

Yeah it was -21F here this morning for an ambient temp... that's not some BS cold airmass, that's the real deal. 

That's all we could hope for.  Look good enough to get us over the 3 or 4" advisory threshold up this way?

You are going to get at least 8"...prob double digits...lol..I wouldn't sweat it. That back end deform stuff would prob have 20 to 1 ratios with it to boot.

Losing valuable qpf on the weakside of the front-end to virga.

12-15:1 ratios at an inch an hour = 8+

I know nne winds can be bad for us. front end goodies will be east of us though? wow that would suck. we get no deform or stinger? is this euro or other models as well? this must be why gyx map yesterday had merrimack 8-10 but just ese of us was 10-14.

I think we'll get some of both. I just think the best front end amounts will be east of us and the best deform banding west. I'm a little afraid of our region ending up in no-man's land between the areas of best lift. Deform to the left of me, front end thump to the right, here I am stuck in the screwzone with you.

Absolutely, and models to me are still way too warm even at night past 495. Even Ray probably is below 32 if that euro track happened. Maybe it briefly gets to it or something.

I think we'll get some of both. I just think the best front end amounts will be east of us and the best deform banding west. I'm a little afraid of our region ending up in no-man's land between the areas of best lift. Deform to the left of me, front end thump to the right, here I am stuck in the screwzone with you.

Excellent summary, makes sense.

stay the course NCt residents 6-12 basically what you got last storm you get this storm, similar distribution

CONNECTICUT

...HARTFORD COUNTY...
EAST FARMINGTON HEIG 12.0 600 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
NEWINGTON 11.0 304 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
WEATOGUE 11.0 1122 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO
BURLINGTON 10.5 314 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
1 WNW WINDSOR LOCKS 10.2 1159 PM 2/05 BRADLEY AIRPORT
NORTH GRANBY 10.0 742 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
COLLINSVILLE 10.0 1021 AM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
AVON 10.0 1029 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
CANTON 10.0 633 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
WINDSOR 9.8 909 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
SUFFIELD 9.5 1120 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO
WETHERSFIELD 9.5 442 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
WEST HARTFORD 9.5 107 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
GLASTONBURY 9.1 1045 AM 2/05 PUBLIC
MANCHESTER 9.0 1009 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
GRANBY 9.0 1139 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO
BRISTOL 8.0 1200 PM 2/05 SPOTTER

...TOLLAND COUNTY...
SOMERS 10.7 714 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
TOLLAND 10.4 651 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
STORRS 10.0 1050 AM 2/05 SPOTTER
STAFFORDVILLE 9.8 449 AM 2/06 NONE
COVENTRY 9.0 531 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER
COLUMBIA 7.2 818 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

...WINDHAM COUNTY...
THOMPSON 10.3 825 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
POMFRET CENTER 10.3 632 AM 2/06 NONE
ASHFORD 8.2 822 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
BROOKLYN 8.0 1205 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO
HAMPTON 8.0 235 PM 2/05 COOP OBSERVER
EAST KILLINGLY 6.3 1035 AM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER 

You are going to get at least 8"...prob double digits...lol..I wouldn't sweat it. That back end deform stuff would prob have 20 to 1 ratios with it to boot.

Oh lol... haha I've been thinking 10:1 with around 0.5" QPF.  Then setting expectations an inch or so below that.

The SREF spreads are pretty interesting... some of the ARW members have well over an inch back this way, while the NMM members have some like 3-4" QPF bombs in the HFD-ORH stretch with just destructive backlash. 

Its interesting to see how so many models are showing like 3-hourly QPF in the 0.5-0.75" range on the backside for someone.  Its different on all models, but some of these are just absolutely going apesh*t in 3-hour segments.

Oh lol... haha I've been thinking 10:1 with around 0.5" QPF. Then setting expectations an inch or so below that.

The SREF spreads are pretty interesting... some of the ARW members have well over an inch back this way, while the NMM members have some like 3-4" QPF bombs in the HFD-ORH stretch with just destructive backlash.

Its interesting to see how so many models are showing like 3-hourly QPF in the 0.5-0.75" range on the backside for someone. Its different on all models, but some of these are just absolutely going apesh*t in 3-hour segments.

Enjoy the jackpot.

Dude the Euro has a sick deform signal over N VT...could be a tight W-E gradient however from BTV eastward to 1V4

I gotta sack up and pay for some ECM data... I hate going by the PBP posts though everyone's been great with that. 

I've been trying to think what role terrain may play up here... though NE winds are usually fairly good for limiting downsloping in a lot of areas of NE VT.  What the CPV and BTV area has going for it is Champlain Valley convergence towards the end.  Watch that with deform and north winds funneling into the Valley between the Dacks and Greens.  BTV can rack up some pretty solid totals with low water in those situations.

I gotta sack up and pay for some ECM data... I hate going by the PBP posts though everyone's been great with that. 

I've been trying to think what role terrain may play up here... though NE winds are usually fairly good for limiting downsloping in a lot of areas of NE VT.  What the CPV and BTV area has going for it is Champlain Valley convergence towards the end.  Watch that with deform and north winds funneling into the Valley between the Dacks and Greens.  BTV can rack up some pretty solid totals with low water in those situations.

You would think your multimillion dollar operation would foot the bill for Wxbell, surprised they don"t really.

well you could have worse company....

This is the problem with storms that track in too close.  That's why the Gspot can beat the Me-spot

Enjoy the jackpot.

I'm a QPF queen.  I have a hard time believing we would do better than anyone along the east slope of the Whites and into the ME foothills.  I just don't see how this area beats your area to Lewiston...although you spelled out your concerns.  I've never been a fan of expecting big ratios to ramp up accumulations...though deform bands are known for that.  I just hate relying on that in a forecast, but haven't really looked at snow growth too much yet.

Archived