• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

We have entered a new phase of certitude for an impacting event that will strike the deep south with potentially historic ice-storm, to heavy snow for "some" along the I-95 corridor, with lashing winds at the coast, all the way to Maine. The attention should now turn to speculating/analyzing who has to contend with what.

The exact track of this system is still going to take another 24 hours to nail down.  As NCEP has noted as of late in their various discussion products, some of the wind dynamics (mid level jets) are still not fully sampled enough as they are being foisted around the Aleutian region of the NE Pacific. A good bit of it has been sampled, however, so that is likely why there has been some tentative clustering amid the various guidance, where not yet the track is fully converged.  That may not happen in guidance until overnight tonight.  

That said, the NAM has weakened the cyclonic result over the E ever since the lead impulse wind max(es) began coming over land near British Columbia.  I am wondering if in its own rite it was getting falsely amplified assimilated grids prior to this entering a denser/truer sounding region -- but that is speculation. As of this most recent run, it actually still ends up near the consensus with a low nearing the lower 980's mb as it arrives into the Gulf Of Maine.

The Euro did tick almost an imperceptible amount E, but I also concur with NCEP's diagnostic discussion, that it was more factor-able in the M/A than it was for us. It pretty much ends up identical in track by the time it gets to our latitude.  However, it demos above all that it can shift a tad yet more; and as more refined data sampling takes place over the next 18 to 24 hours, that may very well be the case.  

Over all, there are guidance variations that from a very coarse perspective seem less important, but actually mean a very big difference in sensible implications. Those range from cold rain (eventually) in the UKMET, to pure white GGEM, and everything in between.   

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is all coming together for the G spot it seems.  I like the notion of a later phase because that might get us a closing off and slowing down near us.  That is my holy grail for this storm, but it looks more likely now than it did yesterday.  Tip - is 40 hours of snow still on the table?

Converging on the G spot it seems.  A lot of us would like that, and not just the women.  Be careful in letting spouses look at your posts, and don't talk out loud.  "Yeah baby!  It's going right into the g spot!" 

Time for a new thread, typhoon tips intro is crashing the servers ;)

Euro will come east as it delays the phase. That may have a consequence of warmth for some of us (hello) and it will likely shift east to our south too.

We aren't talking huge shifts but I think we are heading to a definitive track outside ack but on the northwest side of halfway to the bm. 20-40 miles as a broader low before it wraps up.

Models will likely play catchup with speed trends through the morning runs Wednesday.

lowtrack1.gif:popcorn: I like the track this low is taking.  I tend to be wrong as soon as I post it, so fwiw.  Gut feeling is the qpf numbers (at least for my area) increase as we get closer.

Right now CON is looking at roughly

.9 gfs
.7 nam
.8 ec

Looks like it takes it well west into SE Mass... NWS seems to indicate a path between the Cape and ACK... Makes a big difference in precipitation type. So it still seems to be up in the air?

Hopefully the ECM comes in looking like the UKMET, lol.

The thing that I can't figure out is why the GFS and NAM are so tight with the precip shield to the west.  Especially the GFS...usually a track like that would be decent up here, but it keeps the precipitation quite showery.  The UKMET and ECM while further west, have also had a much larger precip shield to the NW.  Looking at the GFS H7 RH plots, I'm surprised at how little precip its been printing out to the west.

banging out it on the squeeze box. Scott, I think the height fall convective backlash is growing real legs further and further south. See it many times over the years as you pointed out taught to all of us by Mr Drag. Something modeling underestimates with regularity. Snow growth gets better and better as heights crash too. This is going to be fun

Hopefully the ECM comes in looking like the UKMET, lol.

attachicon.gifukmetUS_sfc_prec_072.gif

The thing that I can't figure out is why the GFS and NAM are so tight with the precip shield to the west.  Especially the GFS...usually a track like that would be decent up here, but it keeps the precipitation quite showery.  The UKMET and ECM while further west, have also had a much larger precip shield to the NW.  Looking at the GFS H7 RH plots, I'm surprised at how little precip its been printing out to the west.

Lots of dry NW flow between h5-h7 at hour 66. Sharp NW gradient likely.

Ggem looks a little nw to me but as a disclaimer the map isn't hour stamped so I cannot tell for sure if it's the 12z

It's also an inferno

Def way amped...over the Cape this run. I'm npt surprised though given the RGEM at 48 hours...it was really jacked up.

Yeah, I didn't look at the 12z yet, that was the 6z GFS

yeah but .6 with that track?  Seems unlikely.  Focus on the track and use the Euro qpf generally, would be my thinking.  Then see where the mid levels track and banding is likely to set up.  Then bump the qpf more if we are in the right spot.  Then focus on what gets added late Friday.

Archived