• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
East Coast winter storm, February 13th-14th, imminent (Part II)

Typhoon Tip

I'm telling you...even a 50 mikle shift east on the euro had you getting good snows. It's not a compact storm.

I don't buy the compact storm idea. Basically none of the similar setups had a compact storm with maybe the exception fo 1/27/11. But this one looks to have much more latitude push than that one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local Boston Met's starting to throw around numbers. Channel 7/WHDH  10-15 inches where all snow (looked like outside of 128), with 5-10 downtown. Todd Gutner on Bz had the snow/rain line futher inland (looked at least out to 495) with 6-12 plus in the all snow area and 6 inches before the change to rain around metro Boston. That was top of the hour update....

Well yesterday your forecast was for the 84 corridor to jack ..so maybe you've gone away from that idea..I don't know?

No I stand by that. I still like HFD to CON to LEW type axis.

My comment wasn't about that, it was more just hoping for a 12+ heavy wet snow is like planning for a jackpot. I think 6-12" would be possible in any solution, with a Ginxy style thump dump.

I'm telling you...even a 50 mikle shift east on the euro had you getting good snows. It's not a compact storm.

You'll have to smack me to get that through my head...lol. I've just been looking at too much GFS/NAM and even the 00z GGEM was pretty compact. The 12z UKMET that I posted had me wondering about why the other models were so compact.

Seems like the track is related to the modeled strength quite a bit with this one.  More amped models are more neg tilted and pull low west / some capturing.  Why would the modeled intensities be so different within 60 hours?  Is convective feedback messing with some solutions.  Being in Albany, I'm rooting for Euro / Ggem / Ukie, but confidence is quite low at this point.  Also worried about sharp SE to NW gradient.  Been on the wrong side of those a lot the last few years.

I like the fact that we are seeing this one close off further north up towards NE, Somebody is going to get mauled

A saving grace for western NE. 

Stupid to wonder about such things......but I will.  I wonder if the warmth of the GFS being at odds with the track of the GFS is reflective of some ying-yang data that wants a track of this, but other parameters are presenting temp profiles of a track further west.  In essence having a 'phantom track' in which the actual track would be what you'd envision it SHOULD be with the depicted influx of warmth.

I know--stupid to wonder about.

A saving grace for western NE. 

Stupid to wonder about such things......but I will.  I wonder if the warmth of the GFS being at odds with the track of the GFS is reflective of some ying-yang data that wants a track of this, but other parameters are presenting temp profiles of a track further west.  In essence having a 'phantom track' in which the actual track would be what you'd envision it SHOULD be with the depicted influx of warmth.

I know--stupid to wonder about.

GGEM is really warm too and it's very close to the coast.  Warmth is a problem with this one and always has been, we have a retreating high.

Overall, the GGEM and UKMET are pretty much step-in-step at 72 hours out from 12z today.

Amazing that we still have two days worth of model runs to go.  We may be seeing those way NW solutions, only to see it tick east in the final 36 hours type deal.  We've seen that before this year a bunch, too.

For comparison... UKMET at 72 hours.

GGEM at 72 hours.  Low locations look pretty darn similar.

Then this is the GFS at 72 hours. 

You've also got 33-34 water temps. Warmth cancel

In the local pond?  It's around 38 off the coast of Boston.  And the warmth is aloft that we have to worry about, ocean temps won't do anything to stop that with some of these tracks.

We're still seeing pretty violent intra-model changes from most while the GFS slowly creeps one way, the Euro the other.  This one won't be decided until one of the models gets Jeff Gillolied by the other.

As far as I can tell, most of the models have the significant precip exiting New England (at least west of the river) predawn Friday.  Am I interpreting this correctly?  I'm thinking of driving up to southern VT (leaving CT around 5AM) Friday morning for a ski day and am thinking it will be mostly over by then.

Are we still looking at a long duration event?  I think tippy mentioned 40 hrs of snow yesterday...

I didn't mean that for deterministic forecasting;  just that  couple of runs of various modeling types, had a quasi-link between the Thursday coastal, and new N-stream impulse cutting through the Lakes.  It seemed to suggest a prolonged afterward instability and plausible continuance of lighter snow/wintry appeals. 

Since that has changed..

In fact, the 12z GGEM has another moderate to approaching major coastal nor-easter for Sunday from those very same dynamics coming out of the Lakes region.  Though it's probably subject to change.

By the way, this new GGEM (fwiw) solution does flip SE NE over to rain. 

You've also got 33-34 water temps. Warmth cancel

Upper 30's chief

New London, CT 37.9 °F Newport, RI 35.1 °F Quonset Point, RI 35.1 °F Conimicut Light, RI 34.0 °F Providence, RI 34.0 °F
Open Sea Buoy Information
Place ID Sea Temp Wave Height Eastern Long Island Sound 44060 37 °F - Central Long Island Sound 44039 - - Nautical Miles Southwest of Montauk Point, NY 44017 41 °F 2.30 ft Block Island, RI 44097 40 °F 2.95 ft LONG ISLAND NM South of Islip, NY 44025 61 °F

We also have some residual ridging holding to our north and/or over us as the main high retreats.  At least that is what Kocin said yesterday.

Sure but that won't help the I95 corridor and east stay in the white with some of these tracks...in fact the GGEm would be right in tossing the drops all the way to the CNE border.  There's still good track spread so it's kind of moot anyway.  What we have is the models still toying with later interaction and then the pull left vs the GEFS/GFS which say no way and round the track more.   One camp is right one is going to be very wrong and the differences for guys like PF are massive.

For me...some snow with rain, or mainly rain meh.  For you...not much of a difference either way, you get a lot of snow.

New London, CT 37.9 °F Newport, RI 35.1 °F Quonset Point, RI 35.1 °F Conimicut Light, RI 34.0 °F Providence, RI 34.0 °F
Open Sea Buoy Information
Place ID Sea Temp Wave Height Eastern Long Island Sound 44060 37 °F - Central Long Island Sound 44039 - - Nautical Miles Southwest of Montauk Point, NY 44017 41 °F 2.30 ft Block Island, RI 44097 40 °F 2.95 ft LONG ISLAND NM South of Islip, NY 44025 61 °F

It's 38-41 east of New England...which is all that really matters moreso than near shore and bay temps.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44098

Archived