e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You slide that entire precip field north 100 miles and it's laid out just like the nam from TN to OBX. I have to say I'm loving where MBY stands at right now. I'd say 4-12 is a good bet and really the pendellum is way closer to the 12 as opposed to the 4.

Well we are in the same back yard so I hope you are right. :snowing:

Ok if you need ,100 miles north frosty needs 150 mile shift!!! Lol all models keep the heaviest to my south. need a slight jog north. I hope everyone can get in on some good accumulation.[/quote

That's the GFS. I'll take all the other models ( EE rule in effect) blend of the euro op ens with nam and there's my consensus.

Here's the latest one.

Bf-76WFCUAEFJUV.png

This is their reply to my comment on their Facebook page that this map seemed kind of conservative:

This is actually a typical setup for all of our winter events, with low pressure tracking along the Gulf Coast. There is always a tight gradient in the precip distribution across the southeast during these events, and you would be very surprised as to how seemingly minor errors in the storm track can have major implications for the type and amount of precipitation. In terms of the precipitation amounts, the ensemble systems show that the operational models are on the extreme high end of the "envelope" of possible precip amounts. This is why we are not forecasting the higher totals at this time.

Any members with Wxsouth just a heads up .He just posted A video .I'm not a member so I can't see .

He's going with a Euro/NAM blend right now with West-East snow band thru TN and W NC/upstate SC, with a snow to sleet transition possibly near the NC/SC border up into E NC, IP further south into central SC down into ATL. That's just for the first push of precip and leaves a question mark for the second wave.  I suggest everyone grab a subscription.. you won't be disappointed!

This is a quote from a member at TalkWeather.

Very true.

"No matter what model you look at a large portion of the SE is shown to meet WSW criteria. Not to mention a lot of folks who are 2-3 degrees away from a massive ICE storm. So with that logic, we shouldn't issue Tornado Watches if conditions look favorable either? That may be a stretch for an example but there is absolutely a need for a watch. Especially after the last fiasco". 

Atlanta especially needs to get on the ball, ironically on a Tuesday again??

Very true.

"No matter what model you look at a large portion of the SE is shown to meet WSW criteria. Not to mention a lot of folks who are 2-3 degrees away from a massive ICE storm. So with that logic, we shouldn't issue Tornado Watches if conditions look favorable either? That may be a stretch for an example but there is absolutely a need for a watch. Especially after the last fiasco".

Somebody there doesn't know what they are talking about. Shocking.

WSW wouldn't be issued until tomorrow afternoon, at the earliest.

Very true.

ATL is probably gonna end up okay in this event IMO because I think the initial rain for 12-18 hours prior to them eventually getting the CAD is going to saturate them around 39/38 or 40/39 make it a b**** to get the temps down in time for them to reach 32, I recall being told before if they do not get the CAD in there before the precip begins they generally will never get to 32...I think by the time they get to 32 the event will be over...nevertheless they probably will shut the city down because its going to be too close for the NWS to chance not putting the watch out.

He's going with a Euro/NAM blend right now with West-East snow band thru TN and W NC/upstate SC, with a snow to sleet transition possibly near the NC/SC border up into E NC, IP further south into central SC down into ATL. That's just for the first push of precip and leaves a question mark for the second wave.  I suggest everyone grab a subscription.. you won't be disappointed!

It's good to know I've been on the right track   ;)

Somebody there doesn't know what they are talking about. Shocking.

WSW wouldn't be issued until tomorrow afternoon, at the earliest.

Agreed. 

Well...the 18z gfs again says all rain with a touch of zr for mby  

Just an observation from the recent snowfall maps I've seen posted again and again... last two days.

I've never seen snowfall storm totals ride NC Line from Georgia to Charlotte (Mecklenburg County).

I know this won't happen, esp. in a Cad Event.

Any historical storm maps that match that supposition. Just curious... fun to see that.

jan 88. I dont think this is a true cad event. as a storm get started the high pressure is in the Midwest

As everybody seems to agree, the GFS does not have a good handle on this system; but here is the 18z GFS snow accumulations at hour 90(good hit for NC central coastal plain):

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=02&model_dd=08&model_init_hh=18&fhour=90&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

RGEM looks closest to the NAM as far as precip shield goes. Stronger HP.

RGEM at 48:

NAM at 48:

I wonder if the RGEM has the NW bias going on after 48+ hours like the NAM?  Hopefully SnowGoose can comment, I know they use it a lot up in the NE this year.

As everybody seems to agree, the GFS does not have a good handle on this system; but here is the 18z GFS snow accumulations at hour 90(good hit for NC central coastal plain):http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=02&model_dd=08&model_init_hh=18&fhour=90&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Even if the GFS is not as good as the other models, it is still showing a pretty good hit.

Check out @WxSouth's Tweet:

About the sleet line

https://twitter.com/WxSouth/status/432290448405561344

About the snow potential.

Check out @WxSouth's Tweet: https://twitter.com/WxSouth/status/432290669759959041

RGEM did a great job in accurately depicting the ZR/IP/SN transition zones leading up to the late Jan event.  For those with the App, correlation coefficient on radar scope shows it well in realtime.

Not only is the 18Z GFS wetter than the 12Z GFS for the crucial GA/SC corridor for potential wintry precip. but the 18Z GEFS is the wettest of the last four GEFS and wetter than the 18Z GFS. Whereas the 0Z GEFS had an average of only ~0.50" for 0Z 2/11 through 6Z 2/13 from the two waves, the 18Z GEFS has a whopping ~0.90" and is about twice as wet as the 18Z GFS' ~0.45".

Why is the 18Z GEFS twice as wet as the 18Z GFS?

1. Quite a bit more qpf for 1st wave with ~0.60" 18Z GEFS vs. ~0.45" 18Z GFS

2. The 18Z GFS had virtually nothing for wave #2. However, the 18Z GEFS has ~0.30".

So, there' a pretty good chance that the GFS will continue to be wetter in future runs and come closer to the model consensus..

Archived