12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man. Upstate SC gets hammered per Burger's snow map. Anyone got any more details on what Atlanta gets per this run? Looks like a little bit of everything as Lookout was alluding too. Snow, sleet, and freezing rain? Going to be a crazy couple of days on the board regardless.

Looking at 12Z Euro 850's/qpf/sfc for N ATL burbs near you:

- wave #1 TUE looks like ~1" qpf of starts as cold rain possibly changing to a short period of ZR and then IP for the bulk based on 850's of only +1 to +2 C (favors IP over ZR). Could mean as much as 3-4"+ IP if almost all IP!

-wave #2 TUE night to early WED: ~0.20" of ZR on top of IP due to warmer 850's of ~+5 C

If the 12Z Euro verifies, it would be blend of PD 1 of 79 and 1/88 for ATL-AHN. Euro Sfc temp.'s too warm. Theu'd probably do down to middle 20's for ATL-AHn if there is this much IP.

- wave #1 TUE looks like ~1" qpf of rain possibly changing to a short period of ZR and then IP for the bulk based on 850's of only +1 to +2 C (favors IP over ZR). Could mean as much as 3-4"+ IP if almost all IP!

-wave #2 TUE night to early WED: ~0.20" of ZR on top of IP due to warmer 850's of ~+5 C

If the 12Z Euro verifies, it would be blend of PD 1 of 79 and 1/88 for ATL-AHN.

does tony get his sleet storm ?

I know my area is going to be the battle ground, as always, but as we have all been talking about how its 2m temps are likely to high, I think we could be looking at a ZR fest down here...what you think?

I think if things unfold like the euro has been showing for a while now, macon will get at least some freezing rain. If temps drop below freezing as far south as augusta (was even south of augusta on last nights run) it's hard not seeing it making it to macon, especially by the time the second round comes along. Plus the difference in surface temps between this mornings run and last nights is just noise level. The real question is though is the euro right or are the rest of the models too warm? Since the other models handle things differently than the euro, it's really hard to say..although you certainly can make the argument that the euro is the way to go because it's been so consistent.

It looks colder than 35 to 38 on the euro maps I'm looking at for macon. I would have guess it was 33 or 34. Either way, if things go the way of the euro, the slightest changes will make all the difference obviously

So it's really really close. I think if temps get to below 32, major accumulations will happen because even though 850mb temps warm to as high as 8c for macon, I can almost guarantee you the boundary layer will be very cold and based on soundings from the other models, pretty deep. So the rain will be very close to freezing solid by the time it makes it to the ground. That's why in some cases you don't get much freezing rain at 31 while other times you can get a lot. I'd hate to be trying to make the call for macon on tv lol

So are we looking at the first wave to come in over Monday night into Tuesday morning in the ATL area?  If I have interpreted correctly it will begin as rain than change over?  Man this has me concerned because FFC is really not stating anything about this except that they are currently watching and it could be an issue.  If banter this can be moved.

- wave #1 TUE looks like ~1" qpf of starts as cold rain possibly changing to a short period of ZR and then IP for the bulk based on 850's of only +1 to +2 C (favors IP over ZR). Could mean as much as 3-4"+ IP if almost all IP!

If the 12Z Euro verifies, it would be blend of PD 1 of 79 and 1/88 for ATL-AHN. Euro Sfc temp.'s too warm. Theu'd probably do down to middle 20's for ATL-AHn if there is this much IP.

And if it is that much colder in atlanta and athens, the freezing rain would most certainly make it into places like macon. It will be really interesting to see how well the euro performs on surface temps if these storm systems play out as advertised on the euro. I'm going to take notes on exactly where the euro has the freezing line and where it actually ends up. If people have access to the specific numbers, it would be great if they write them down for several locations  and see how well it actually does.

I've been really curious to see if it's warm bias in these situations still happen or if they have made some adjustments to the model to fix it.

It's 6-8" all the way past the NC/VA border, dude.  Be happy!

You misunderstood my post, I'm not complaining AT ALL, just stating where the heaviest axis of snow would likely be. I am very happy because so many in the SE will get something out of this and we were due for sure. Details are uncertain this far out anyway but the fact all models show this storm is the positive to take from today's runs.

I think if things unfold like the euro has been showing for a while now, macon will get at least some freezing rain. If temps drop below freezing as far south as augusta (was even south of augusta on last nights run) it's hard not seeing it making it to macon, especially by the time the second round comes along. Plus the difference in surface temps between this mornings run and last nights is just noise level. The real question is though is the euro right or are the rest of the models too warm? Since the other models handle things differently than the euro, it's really hard to say..although you certainly can make the argument that the euro is the way to go because it's been so consistent.

It looks colder than 35 to 38 on the euro maps I'm looking at for macon. I would have guess it was 33 or 34. Either way, if things go the way of the euro, the slightest changes will make all the difference obviously

So it's really really close. I think if temps get to below 32, major accumulations will happen because I can guarantee you the boundary layer will be very cold and based on soundings from the other models, pretty deep. So the rain will be very close to freezing solid by the time it makes it to the ground. That's why in some cases you don't get much freezing rain at 31 while other times you can get a lot. I'd hate to be trying to make the call for macon on tv lol

Your telling me...hahahah Very difficult.  Either way, I think if its 33-34, and that is prolly 3-4 degrees to warm, we are talking about 30-32 with a little over 1" of QPF.  NOT good!  wedges usually win out around our parts (much more your area obviously) so I have a feeling this one might really get to the point where it gets locally entrenched more due to that first wave further refrigerating the ground it could keep it in there longer.   

Yeah Euro is solid snow to nasty ice for RDU.

here was the CMC snow by the way.

Yeah.. that's more like it wrt the CMC snow totals.  So we've got the NAM/Canadian with a juiced up front wave, the GFS super suppressed, and the Euro more balanced with the two waves, 

Sounds like the late 70's, and 88 was great down here too.... but is no one the least bit worried that Goofy doesn't want to play?  ;)  T

FFC Update

FXUS62 KFFC 081859

AFDFFC

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

159 PM EST SAT FEB 8 2014

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...

CURRENTLY IN BETWEEN SYSTEMS. ALL MODELS SHOW A VERY FAST MOVING

SHORT WAVE...CURRENTLY OVER THE CENTRAL ROCKIES...THAT WILL MOVE

ACROSS THE CWA TONIGHT. LITTLE IF ANY MOISTURE TO WORK WITH AND AT

THIS TIME THE MOIST LAYER IS CONFINED TO A REGION OF 3000 TO 5000

FEET. THIS SYSTEM SHOULD BRING AN INCREASE IN CLOUDS...AND PERHAPS A

FLURRY OR SPRINKLE TO NORTH GA. CLOUDS...AND ANY SPRINKLES/FLURRIES

SHOULD BE EXITING SUNDAY MORNING WITH SKIES CLEARING MAKING FOR A

PARTLY CLOUDY AFTERNOON AND ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES ON SUNDAY.

FLOW BECOMES ZONAL OVER THE CWA SUNDAY NIGHT AND THERE SHOULD BE

INCREASE IN MID AND HIGH LEVEL CLOUDS. GUIDANCE TEMPS LOOK

REASONABLE AND HAVE MADE SOME MINOR ADJUSTMENTS.

&&

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...

MADE SLIGHT ADJUSTMENTS TO MONDAY NIGHT AS ENHANCED MOISTURE

ADVECTS INTO AREA AND THERMAL PROFILES IN NORTH GEORGIA STILL SUPPORT

SOME LIGHT SNOW POTENTIAL. HAVE LEFT MAJORITY OF REMAINING LONG

TERM PERIOD ALONE AS LATEST MODEL SOLUTIONS GREATLY DIVERGE IN

UPPER WAVE EVOLUTIONS AND MOISTURE FIELDS. STILL CANNOT RULE OUT

SOME WINTRY PRECIP IN NORTHERN PORTIONS TUESDAY NIGHT AND

WEDNESDAY NIGHT BUT LOW CONFIDENCE AT THIS POINT. PREVIOUS

DISCUSSION FOLLOWS...

BAKER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the late 70's, and 88 was great down here too.... but is no one the least bit worried that Goofy doesn't want to play?  ;)  T

The GFS will suddenly show up the party soon... it doesn't have any support.  It's going to be the last kid picked for the team.

It shows us at 36 degrees from 00z Wed to 00z Thur taken verbatim from the euro.  There is around 1.15" QPF that falls in that time, so if that is 30-32...holy moly

How did you do in 88?  I remember being out on the hill at midnight and getting soaked with lite rain while sledding, but it just waffled back and forth from ptype to ptype toward the end of the storm.  The early part was all sleet and snow, which is how this one looks right now....if I'm thinking of the right storm :)  Of course that 70 miles from me to you can be a long way as 73 showed :)  Tony

The GFS will suddenly show up the party soon... it doesn't have any support.  It's going to be the last kid picked for the team.

From your mouth to Goofy's ears, Wow!  I just know the qpf from Goofy has been pretty good for me for the last several events.  Much less that forecast by others, and I'd like to get the gfs coming to the party with more than a quarter inch, which has been the norm so far from these overrunning events.  T

How did you do in 88?  I remember being out on the hill at midnight and getting soaked with lite rain while sledding, but it just waffled back and forth from ptype to ptype toward the end of the storm.  The early part was all sleet and snow, which is how this one looks right now....if I'm thinking of the right storm :)  Of course that 70 miles from me to you can be a long way as 73 showed :)  Tony

have a date on that by chance so I can look it up please.

Archived