joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly could've said it any better Raleigh. The European solution, by far, it seems to be the best middleground along with the Canadian. I also agree with you about the Nam being too far northwest in way too strong with the first energy. And the GFS, well hell it's the GFS. LOL

Word

Chips pushed to the center.

I take it that you're all-in?....... You know it's a done deal when Queencitywx gets onboard. I have to say that I agree with you. It would appear that the GFS is coming around to the idea of a winter storm, but I just can't stop myself from thinking about how it could all go wrong. Still I believe that this one has a better chance of verifying than not.

Edit.... What's the Euro, Nam, Canadian and Nogaps seeing that the GFS is not??

All of our "good" storms have been Tuesday into Wednesday affairs. This is a Tuesday into Wednesday affair. I think that's good enough to hang my hat on.

That and rubbing a rabbit's foot eh?

Be interesting to see how the future gfs runs handle this as the divergence from the others is in the first 48hrs or so of the current run.

Whenever these situations arise with a dry GFS and amped up Euro/NAM, I turn to the old Gary Gray archives leading up the 96 blizzard.  I've saved them: http://wow.americanwx.com/gg/

LOL..wow I remember him. That's awesome but i feel old :arrowhead:

Gfs looks completely different than the nam, euro, and canadian, etc. Every model's differences and unique solutions mean a world of difference in terms of sensible weather for any one location. Nws folks have to love it lol

I know this will be considered a MBY post.....but I have been seaching all morning for something alittle more definative on what last nights ecmwf showed for the upstate.  Did it speed up the system to Tuesday as the other models seem to be doing?  Also if taken at face value what would the predominant p-type by for that area and are we still looking at over an inch of qpf??  Again I apologize but I have a real hard time finding info on ecmwf runs (I can find tons on GFS and NAM)   I can find some upper air info and charts but have a hard time translating that to surface conditions.  Feel free to delete.....will definately be understood.

The 12Z RGEM 48 looks less amped than the NAM with wave #1 and with the high's position a bit further east than the NAM suggesting wedging would likely set up sooner than the nam and more like the 0Z Euro. The 48 hour 12Z RGEM looks more like the 0Z Euro's 60 than the 12Z NAM's 48 sfc featurewise. In summary, I'm guessing the 12Z GGEM 54-84 will look more like the 0Z Euro's 66-96 than the 12Z NAM's 54-84. Any opinions?

The 12Z RGEM 48 looks less amped than the NAM with wave #1 and with the high's position a bit further east than the NAM suggesting wedging would likely set up sooner than the nam and more like the 0Z Euro. The 48 hour 12Z RGEM looks more like the 0Z Euro's 60 than the 12Z NAM's 48 sfc featurewise. In summary, I'm guessing the 12Z GGEM 54-84 will look more like the 0Z Euro's 66-96 than the 12Z NAM's 54-84. Any opinions?

12z canadian seems to be in between the nam and gfs so far through hour 60.

622_100.gif

My guess it would look more like the CMC/EURO.  I only see it out to hr12 on WSI site..

The 12Z 72 Ukie and RGEM 48 both look to me more like the 0Z Euro 84/60 than the 12Z NAM 72/48. The 1st wave isn't as amped as the NAM and the wedging is about to get established earlier to work with more of the 1st wave's precip. Opinions?

The 12Z 72 Ukie and RGEM 48 both look to me more like the 0Z Euro 84/60 than the 12Z NAM 72/48. The 1st wave isn't as amped as the NAM and the wedging is about to get established earlier. Opinions?

Agreed Larry!!  Tells me that the EURO is gonna come in around the same, but a couple of hours will show us that.

Agreed Larry!!  Tells me that the EURO is gonna come in around the same, but a couple of hours will show us that.

Yeah, look at the 12z Ukie's 72 hour wave #1 vs. the 12Z 72 nam and 0Z Euro 84. It is weaker like the Euro (~1014 vs. more amped NAM's ~1010) and further west like the Euro. I think 12Z GGEM's is similar too 12Z ukie/ 0Z Euro. too and disagree with 12Z nam. This also may mean better chances for 2nd wave to be a big deal unlike NAM's implication..i.e., NAM pus so much into 1st wave that not much left for 2nd wave to work with.

I am not a pro with maps, but everything I see has December 09 storm written all over it (at least from a sensible standpoint). Nc got hammered while upstate and NGA gets the ultimate screw job of cold rain with a little sleet thrown in to rub salt in the wound.

Got warm nosed on that one and ended up with a bunch of sleet north of CLT

Archived