joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From FFC this morning.  An improvement in LT discussion over yesterday's at least.

".LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...
/ISSUED AT 410 AM EST SAT FEB 8 2014/
ACTIVE WEATHER THROUGH THE LONG TERM WITH DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN
THE GFS AND ECMWF. WAVE COMES THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.
TEMPERATURES PROFILES ARE SUPPORTIVE OF SOME SNOW WITH THIS ACROSS
ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA. GFS BUFR SOUNDING AT BRASSTOWN
BALD IS SATURATED WHILE THE NAM IS MOSTLY DRY. TENDED TO LEAN
TOWARDS THE GFS SOLUTION THAT IS WET AS OPPOSED TO THE NAM BUFR
SINCE THE ECMWF IS ALSO SUGGESTIVE OF PRECIPITATION DURING THIS
TIME PERIOD. WITH THE ENTIRE PROFILE BELOW FREEZING...SUGGESTIVE
OF SNOW AT BRASSTOWN BALD. NOT AS CLEAR CUT AS YOU MOVE FURTHER
SOUTH...BUT APPEARS TO BE A RAIN/SNOW MIX FOR PARTS OF NORTH
GEORGIA AND TRANSITIONING TO ALL RAIN ACROSS CENTRAL AND EVEN PARTS
OF NORTH GEORGIA. WILL NEED TO CLOSELY WATCH THIS TIME PERIOD.

HIGH PRESSURE SLIDES INTO THE NORTHEAST ON TUESDAY...WITH A WEDGE
BUILDING INTO THE CWA. EVEN WITH THE WEDGE BUILDING IN...GFS
DIMINISHES THE PRECIP WHILE THE ECMWF IS MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE. WITH
WEDGE IN PLACE...LEANED TOWARD THE HIGHER POPS WITH CHANCE TO
LIKELY. THE ECMWF DEVELOPS A SFC LOW OFF THE FLORIDA COAST ON
WEDNESDAY AND AS IT PUSHES NORTHWARD...IT BREAKS DOWN THE RIDGE
AND CLEARS OUT PRECIP ON THURSDAY. THE GFS...HOWEVER IS SLOWER AND
THUS HOLDS ONTO PRECIP INTO FRIDAY MORNING. GIVEN
INCONSISTENCIES AND THAT ITS ALMOST A WEEK AWAY...HAVE DECIDED TO
TREND TOWARDS A BLEND."

GEM shows my 'concern' so to speak with the second wave. The Euro was very close to not amplifying the second wave enough to throw precip into the western Carolinas. GEM shows that scenario.

Still though, at face value, it's a nice hit for NC Tuesday.

GEM shows my 'concern' so to speak with the second wave. The Euro was very close to not amplifying the second wave enough to throw precip into the western Carolinas. GEM shows that scenario.

I would agree with that Matt.  That 2nd wave has been known (lately) to not play nice and get to be where its not coming up that far NW.  

12Z CMC is warmer for GA at 2 meters and slightly warmer at 850 vs. 0Z CMC. Verbatim, it is too warm for ATL-AHN south. However, unlike 12Z NAM, it has more precip. coming in after wedging gets going similar to the Euro for wave 1 and with 850's in the ZR wjheelhouse of +3 to +5 for ATL-AHN and then down to MCN later. So, this implies major ZR ATL-AHN and probably at least some down to MCN later. So, this is much more like 0Z Euro than 12Z NAM.

12Z CMC is warmer for GA at 2 meters and slightly warmer at 850 vs. 0Z CMC. Verbatim, it is too warm for ATL-AHN south. However, unlike 12Z NAM, it has more precip. coming in after wedging gets going similar to the Euro for wave 1 and with 850's in the ZR wjheelhouse of +3 to +5 for ATL-AHN and then down to MCN later. So, this implies major ZR ATL-AHN and probably at least some down to MCN.

This run looks funky a bit.  it pushes the 2m line down then up the down again.  

THe first wave is amplifying at the expense of the second wave. As long as it remains pos tilted, it'll leak out its energy to feed the initial wave.  Is that not a better solution for a more widespread NC snow event given the placement of the high pressure farther west?  A stronger 2nd wave would be more ice SC/GA with the CAD in place as WAA erodes the mid level cold.

THe first wave is amplifying at the expense of the second wave. As long as it remains pos tilted, it'll leak out its energy to feed the initial wave.  Is that not a better solution for a more widespread NC snow event given the placement of the high pressure farther west?  A stronger 2nd wave would be more ice SC/GA with the CAD in place as WAA erodes the mid level cold.

Exactly. They work in tandem. Stronger first wave, likely a weaker, more suppressed second wave. Yes, a strong lead wave will give NC a good shot at snow, but it could very well come at the expense of areas farther south and at the expense of western NC getting a second round of precip Wednesday.

All this talk about CAD and ZR in Atlanta. How do you explain that map above that bingcrosbyb posted showing snow in Birmingham ? If there's CAD how is Atlanta going to get ZR and Birmingham going to get snow ?

That particular model seems to show the first wave being suppressed vs most guidance, that would lead to snow in BHM and ATL...to me the setup synoptically ahead of the system looks alot like 1/19/92 overall, hence I'm surprised guidance shows that first wave going so far north...occasionally the influence of the highs can be underestimated...while I don't think those locations see anything frozen with the first wave it won't take a big shift for it to occur.

My main concern is for the temps. Just saying if the cold air gets held up coming down from the north or over the mtns, and precip gets here Monday midnight or so, it may be before the cold air can get fully established. I get real nervous every time an event has to start as rain and we have to wait for temps to come down during the event!?

Archived