Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes long duration event as well. It's sleeting and light ZR even at hour 108

The worst freezing rain accumulations happen when it's not coming down in buckets and is drawn out over a longer period of time. This run would be a damaging ice storm for those who get the freezing rain.

I see that it's an 85 special so I'm guessing you're referring to sw NC? Doesn't sound promising for N foothills and N mtns

Hot off the presses. This is like hour 108 when the switch over to sleet/ZR is more prominent in NC. I would guess that snow showing up in GA and further south in SC would be ZR or sleet. 

TY02WKv.png

The worst freezing rain accumulations happen when it's not coming down in buckets and is drawn out over a longer period of time. This run would be a damaging ice storm for those who get the freezing rain.

Yep as you said central SC gets his hard with a ZR storm. My guess is an additional .50 falls in central SC between hours 96 and 108. Crazy. 

Hot off the presses. This is like hour 108 when the switch over to sleet/ZR is more prominent in NC. I would guess that snow showing up in GA and further south in SC would be ZR or sleet.

TY02WKv.png

looks like almost nothing from Atlanta to Macon and points west. This is definitely looking like a northeast ga special.

new Euro has a great look and maintained the Baffin Ridge. That was and is the key to amping the southern system. Well great for TN and NC especially but would include northern tier of MS and AL initially, with probably heavier mixed types, then once into GA and the Carolinas the lifting is maximized because of damming and isentropic lift. It's a blend of NAM it appears, and this run pulls the southwest shortwave toward neutral tilt, not dropping into pos. tilt fashion, while keeping a strong damming high. By 96 hour the damage is done, and the low is on the FL panhandle..amazing consistency on the ECMWF with this surface feature damming high and the surface low..but keep in mind the moisture will be gone for most of us by 96 hours probably...that that would be freezing with that damming down toward central GA I think, well past Atlanta if this run is right. It hits upstate hard for once, they may be ground zero, but a mixed bag there I think, snow to start then mixing . All snow near I-40 probably in NC and west of RDU, but overall a good Winter storm for many. Then it goes up the coast, but odd to see so little cold advection behind it. The moissture falls and snow and  ice for many on the front end, but I'm thinking freezing rain and freezing drizzle on the wrap around or last part of the event somewhere in the Carolinas, GA and VA. Hopefully this storm will be legit. I think NAM has led the way many times on southern events recently, its just this is the first one that is truly widespread Winter related. GFS is lost and supressed as usual.  So there's good basic agreement aloft on GFS, GEM, ECMWF NAM but details mean a lot, like the location of the Baffin ridging and orientation of the incoming southwest wave, plus another wave to its north. Still not easy to forecast this, but it's getting within starting of 72 hours for most of TN and NC especially, so we don't have that much time to alert the public. I can see folks going back to work Monday morning and hearing of Winter Storm watches...."where did this come from". Anyway, hope you guys get your snow. It will be interesting to see if more than 1" snow falls here ..that hasn't happened in just over 3 years now.

1.25-1.5" total qpf ATL-AHN from 2 waves (mainly 1st), much of which would be IP/ZR after initial rain. Euro 2 meter temp.'s too warm. Get down to MCN later in 1st wave and in 2nd wave for ~1.50" qpf total, rain and then mainly ZR down there imo. 1" of ZR there? 

So, Euro holds serve for GA at least. 8th run in a row with major winter storm for SE.

Edit: another look at MCN's 850's and position of sfc low tells me it will be close to 32/sig. ZR but may stay just above for much of 2nd wave. +7 850's a little warm.

If there 2m temps are to warm, which we both agree they prolly are, then yes, that could be 1" of QPF that is ZR    Whats funny about that tho is, our 2m temps are colder the 2nd wave.  I think euro's 850's are likely too high the 2nd wave.

Yep as you said central SC gets his hard with a ZR storm. My guess is an additional .50 falls in central SC between hours 96 and 108. Crazy. 

Yep, altogether they get between 1.25 and 1.5 inch liquid it looks like.

I'm really glad the euro held on. Was getting worried there for a while this morning lol.

In terms of sensible weather, south carolina gets hit hard with freezing rain..especially central areas around columbia. Just about everything falls in north ga. Looks like 3 to 6 inches of snow/sleet in north ga outside the mountains followed by 0.30 to 0.50 of freezing rain. 

Looks like mostly snow, or snow/sleet in the extreme northern part of the upstate with several inches of snow in a lot of freezing rain for sc. hard to gauge how much since we can't see the entire column. It could end up being more sleet than freezing rain for a lot of areas.

I know my area is going to be the battle ground, as always, but as we have all been talking about how its 2m temps are likely to high, I think we could be looking at a ZR fest down here...what you think?

Man. Upstate SC gets hammered per Burger's snow map. Anyone got any more details on what Atlanta gets per this run? Looks like a little bit of everything as Lookout was alluding too. Snow, sleet, and freezing rain? Going to be a crazy couple of days on the board regardless.

Man. Upstate SC gets hammered per Burger's snow map. Anyone got any more details on what Atlanta gets per this run? Looks like a little bit of everything as Lookout was alluding too. Snow, sleet, and freezing rain? Going to be a crazy couple of days on the board regardless.

It's crazy to think we may experience all 4 major precip. types. Pray it's more snow/sleet than ice.

Archived