SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support this decision fully. This doesn't mean it will almost definitely happen, of course, but what's the point of waiting anymore? I think it is good to keep discussions related to this potential biggie separate from the earlier threats. Regardless, indications are pretty dang favorable considering that 9 of the last 10 GFS runs (going back to the 18Z of Monday, 2/3) and the last 3 Euro runs have all hit a good portion of NC pretty dern hard, especially with ZR. Regardless of the poor consistency of the models for this weekend, how often does that happen? Furthermore, the progged amount of moisture is much higher than that of the average storm.

Although model runs have still not been showing much of N GA getting much of any wintry precip. verbatim, I remain quite concerned for that area and nearby areas because the current neutral negative ENSO phase is the phase that has been associated with the largest # of major ZR's and IP's in Atlanta by a wide margin. Although we're past the late Jan. peak for  major ATL ZR's, 2/11-13 is still close enough and there have been several in early Feb.

The 00z Canadian is a hit of some sort.  Looks like snow to IP/ZR and a pretty good amount of it, taken verbatim.  Then it blows up into a HECS and gives DC like two feet of snow.  It's kind of a crazy run that probably won't work out anything like progged.

The run also gives DC a February 2010 Snowmageddon repeat.

I support this decision fully. This doesn't mean it will almost definitely happen, of course, but what's the point of waiting anymore? I think it is good to keep discussions related to this potential biggie separate from the earlier threats. Regardless, indications are pretty dang favorable considering that 9 of the last 10 GFS runs (going back to the 18Z of Monday, 2/3) and the last 3 Euro runs have all hit a good portion of NC pretty dern hard, especially with ZR. Regardless of the poor consistency of the models for this weekend, how often does that happen? Furthermore, the progged amount of moisture is much higher than that of the average storm.

Although model runs have still not been showing much of N GA getting much of any wintry precip. verbatim, I remain quite concerned for that area and nearby areas because the current neutral negative ENSO phase is the phase that has been associated with the largest # of major ZR's and IP's in Atlanta by a wide margin. Although we're past the late Jan. peak for major ATL ZR's, 2/11-13 is still close enough and there have been several in early Feb.

isn't Mid Feb a little late in the season for major zr in atl ? I wonder how many major zr there have been in atl after feb 10 ?

With some consistency coming in the models and the players seeming to be on the field. Plus this is all we're going to talk about for a while, so why not here? My first thread, shoot me if you must!

Hate to sound like a true Debbie Downer but given how erratic model runs have been inside of 7 days...I would personally have a hard time starting a storm-specific thread anywhere outside of 72 hours...that said, I'm rooting for ya to break us through!

Hate to sound like a true Debbie Downer but given how erratic model runs have been inside of 7 days...I would personally have a hard time starting a storm-specific thread anywhere outside of 72 hours...that said, I'm rooting for ya to break us through!

Well considering the models have been doing highly dangerous chemicals lately, this is the most consistency we've seen IMO

isn't Mid Feb a little late in the season for major zr in atl ? I wonder how many major zr there have been in atl after feb 10 ?

Although past the peak, It isn't too late at all. I'm aware of at least four plus a borderline additional one. ATL had one on 3/25!

Well considering the models have been doing highly dangerous chemicals lately, this is the most consistency we've seen IMO

point well taken...I would also say this synoptic setup would be our best setup for a winter storm (non-phase, southern slider with surface cold in place)

0Z Euro looking much colder with some rain maybe mixed with snow already into parts of N GA as of hour 120 from a lead small event that then dissipates before SC. The main event likely still to come and colder, stronger high pressure to work with., Buckle your seat belts, folks, this could be a wild run!

Looks like there's a pretty solid (0.5"+?) amount of precipitation that comes in before 850s go above zero and the western Piedmont and foothills change over to ZR and/or IP.  Looks like a devastating snowstorm to ice storm for the northwestern quadrant of NC with ZR elsewhere.

DC gets crushed on the front-end, but changes over to rain.  The CAD holds strong in the NC favored regions and never get above freezing until after the storm is over as far as I can tell.  That would be a HUGE ice storm for many.

Perhaps, most importantly, the Euro seems to be getting colder with each run.

0Z Euro is the 4th Euro in a row with ZR in NC within the 2/11-13 period. Some in upstate SC, too.

Edit: 1.25-1.5"+ of ZR upstate SC to part of W NC! GSP to CLT corridor smashed!

Edit 2: CLT gets 2" of ZR 2/12-13!!

Damn... Maybe I shouldn't have started the thread. It's coming after MBY with vengeance

0Z Euro is the 4th Euro in a row with ZR in NC within the 2/11-13 period. Some in upstate SC, too.

Edit: 1.25-1.5"+ of ZR upstate SC to part of W NC! GSP to CLT corridor smashed!

Edit 2: CLT gets 2" of ZR 2/12-13!!

Excellent...it would be a disaster for North Carolina with these temps. Reminds me a lot of the nasty ice storm we had in 94 where the entire I-40 Cooridor from Asheville to Raleigh got between 1-2 inches of ice.

ecmwf_t2m_charlotte_28.png

Is a Euro qpf map available to the general public? If not, what do the totals look like for WNC?

No public maps, but you're looking at around 2.5" QPF down in NW SC, 1.8"-2" from CLT to GSO and about the same over towards RDU, and a general 1.5-1.7" in the foothills and mountains (except the SW mountains which might be closer to 2").  All or almost all of this is frozen in one form or another for the CAD regions.

It would be the biggest storm to impact NC and upstate SC in years, so it probably won't happen, haha.

No public maps, but you're looking at around 2.5" QPF down in NW SC, 1.8"-2" from CLT to GSO and about the same over towards RDU, and a general 1.5-1.7" in the foothills and mountains (except the SW mountains which might be closer to 2").  All or almost all of this is frozen in one form or another for the CAD regions.

It would be the biggest storm to impact NC and upstate SC in years, so it probably won't happen, haha.

Would the entire 2'5" in Upstate SC be in the form of ZR?

GSP had a terrible ICE storm with heavy ZR for 4 hours with temps in the mid 20's  in Dec 2005

U could see the sky lighting up from lighting & transformers being knocked out around the area.

U could also hear the boom from said transformers blowing up !

The first weekend over 90% of Greenville SC was without power most went over a week or two !!!

With well over 1.75 of strictly ZR 

It was a disaster in a real sense and would rather not experience that in my life time again !

However I would love 12 plus of snow for us all !

Would the entire 2'5" in Upstate SC be in the form of ZR?

GSP had a terrible ICE storm with heavy ZR for 4 hours with temps in the mid 20's  in Dec 2005

U could see the sky lighting up from lighting & transformers being knocked out around the area.

U could also hear the boom from said transformers blowing up !

The first weekend over 90% of Greenville SC was without power most went over a week or two !!!

With well over 1.75 of strictly ZR 

It was a disaster in a real sense and would rather not experience that in my life time again !

However I would love 12 plus of snow for us all !

Verbatim, it looks like the GSP area climbs above freezing as the precip is tailing off.  I'd have to think at least 2" or so would be frozen, though there might be some IP or even SN towards the front (or it may be all ZR).  I'm not sure, to be honest, without looking at soundings.  IIRC, the Euro usually has a warm bias in CAD situations, though (In this case?  I don't know).  This thing will change a lot from here on out, so I wouldn't worry too much about details aside from the entertainment aspects.  Anyways, off to bed.  Good night!

6z GFS drastically diminishes the size of the storm. Still has a cold high to the north which would still cause the precip to be frozen or freezing in the same locations under the gun on the 0z. Looks like around 1-3 inches of snow for N. NC before a change to something else. I actually think this is a good run. At this time period(model watching), all the players are still on the field. We will have variations of output(seems like we always do at this time--near 5 days out). We just don't want the whole setup to change to another scenario(lake cutter. etc..

Here's one of the frames from the Wunderground map of the Euro last night.  I mistakenly placed this in the pattern thread originally, not seeing that we had started umpteen different threads overnight.  850s seem pretty supportive of snow for at least the more northern portions of this map, so it's a pretty decent thump:

WdeojAY.png

Here's one of the frames from the Wunderground map of the Euro last night.  I mistakenly placed this in the pattern thread originally, not seeing that we had started umpteen different threads overnight.  850s seem pretty supportive of snow for at least the more northern portions of this map, so it's a pretty decent thump:

WdeojAY.png

I'll take that and gladly go home :)

I showed this in my video today, but the reason the 6z was much less of an impressive system than the 0z GFS was is a much less sharp 500mb trough/ vorticity. See below the comparison of the 6z and 0z at the same time frame.

0z:

post-390-0-80861800-1391689124_thumb.png

6z:

post-390-0-37809300-1391689131_thumb.png

Archived