Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z is a descent hit. IP to ZR for most of NC. It was close to a descent snow hit. I'll bet the ENS individual maps have some surprises. 

Yeah, if we could get it to speed up just a little the high would be in a better position for more snow.  By the time the heavier qpf gets to NC the high has slid NE and the wedge is breaking down some.

12z gfs certainly trended in the right direction. It's colder, High is stronger and in place faster. Surface low really looks impressive with prolific precip. Huge winter storm for nc for sure. Still not quite cold enough for northeast ga and parts of the upstate but all it would take is 2 or 3 degrees. I'm actually a bit surprised it's not colder because the damming signature looks really good and temps are in the single digits and low to mid teens underneath the parent high. It seems timing is the primary thing working against colder air further south..ie the high slides in just a hair too late. With this solution 12 hours would make a huge difference imo.

But of course it's a huge hit for dc and the mid atlantic :axe:

12z gfs certainly trended in the right direction. It's colder, High is stronger and in place faster. Surface low really looks impressive with prolific precip. Huge winter storm for nc for sure. Still not quite cold enough for northeast ga and parts of the upstate but all it would take is 2 or 3 degrees. I'm actually a bit surprised it's not colder because the damming signature looks really good and temps are in the single digits and low to mid teens underneath the parent high. It seems timing is the primary thing working against colder air further south..ie the high slides in just a hair too late. With this solution 12 hours would make a huge difference imo.

But of course it's a huge hit for dc and the mid atlantic :axe:

I wonder though given what has transpired with this weekend storm if that actually happens. Wouldn't be surprised if this is more of a true southern slider type storm and dodges the NE. Just seems the pattern we're in now. 

NW trend commencing already? The low is significantly farther NW than the 0z or 6z. Needs to move in faster and/or HP needs to hold longer. Quick burst of snow to IP to ZR to RN on this run.

Low takes almost a perfect track for a Miller A, just need more cold air. Like I mentioned to Chris I'm a little suspicious given what it looks like is going to happen with the storm this weekend. Models were sure it was going to be a Miller A and it looks like it's just going to slink OTS with a whimper. That does have me worried, but also thinking this one could be southern slider. 

Taken literally some light snow and then significant sleet/freezing rain before changing to rain for RDU on this run. This is a complicated setup for sure.

Keep in mind, that I think the grib parameter WEASD that is used for snow accumulation in the GFS/ECMWF, I believe also takes into account sleet or graupel. I have never been able to get a real answer on this, but it certainly is not all snow. That is why in some of these ice/mixed preicp events the snow accumulation forecasts can seem way off. Got to look at the soundings to really know what p-type the model is predicting.

NW trend commencing already? The low is significantly farther NW than the 0z or 6z. Needs to move in faster and/or HP needs to hold longer. Quick burst of snow to IP to ZR to RN on this run.

Agree Cold Rain...The track was a little further west for my liking and the hp moved more NE today in comparison to last nights 0z run it moved more north.  For our area this run was a lot of rain.

Low takes almost a perfect track for a Miller A, just need more cold air. Like I mentioned to Chris I'm a little suspicious given what it looks like is going to happen with the storm this weekend. Models were sure it was going to be a Miller A and it looks like it's just going to slink OTS with a whimper. That does have me worried, but also thinking this one could be southern slider.

Yeah, it's just always unnerving to be right on the edge this far out with no margin for any more north trend. Hopefully, the track will remain south. Need that HP to be in place longer to force the track south or at least redevelopment to the south and east.

The difference here is this is all southern energy.

It's just amazing with all the cold air to work with this winter, the one time we get in a pattern with some great tracks it's almost impossible to find.

Yeah, it really changed with the calendar.  Soon as we got to February, it switched off.  Of course we get a nice Miller A, with cold air just too far north. 

Looks like Gso stays 30 and under til it moves out. TW

Yep, it's a big 'ole storm for us in CAD central. Nice non-marginal surface temperatures. I still want to see this trend colder to get others in the game and so we can get more SN rather than IP/ZR.

I would fret too much over one run of the GFS. This storm can and will change.

Now, we have 11 of the last 12 GFS runs and the last 4 Euro runs with at least a good portion of NC getting significant wintry precip. within 2/11-13. I want to keep this tally going because it is IMO a good indicator of the chances this will actually materialize. Also, I feel it is good for record keeping of the models' performance after the fact, which may help establish confidence levels for forecasting future threats.

Verbatim per my provider's maps, practically all of N GA stays above 32 through the event. However, considering the almost textbook setup of Miller A, cold high (lows near 10 NYC inland burbs and N NJ), decent strength high (1032 mb 12z on 2/12), a pronounced wedge, surface temp.'s in the high 30's all of the way down to Montgomery and Columbus, 850's stuck in the critical +3 to +4 C range for major ZR, and heavy amounts of qpf (a whopping 1 to 1.5"), I sincerely feel the modeled surface temp .'s for N GA are quite possibly, if not likely, too warm by several degrees (as alluded to by Lookout). If that is really the case, we could easily be looking at the worst ZR for the ATL-AHN corridor and surrounding areas since at least 1/2005. I mean this run is almost textbook for major N GA ZR. Also, the ENSO being neutral negative is more supportive of major ZR there than any other ENSO phase per history fwiw.

Archived