Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

Cold Rain, 

I just did some additional research of CLT/RDU/GSP/GSO NWS data for Miller A's that produced major ZR or IP at ATL:

1. 2/17-18/1979: was a 4" IP at ATL that I later added (you may not have seen) that has been since referred to as "PD #1".

a. CLT: mostly snow but some IP the last few hours. 10" of S/IP from 1.30" liquid. 

b. RDU: almost all snow. 10.4" from 1.19" liquid. A little IP/ZR near the end.

c. GSP 8.2" of almost all snow from 0.8" liquid (some IP mixed in)

2. 2/6-7/1979: a major ATL ZR;  

a. CLT: After ~4-5" of snow, there was a major combo of IP and then ZR with ~1" total liquid equivalent for just the IP/ZR! Total storm liquid equiv. was 1.43"!

b.  After ~5" of snow, there was ~0.31" liquid equiv. of IP and then ZR. total storm liq. equiv. was 0.86".

3. 1/7-8/1973: one of worst ZR's ever at ATL.

a. CLT: 0.87" liquid; snow changed to IP; about a 50-50 mix liquid equiv. wise ; total S/IP 5.5"

b. RDU: 0.85" liquid; mainly snow (6.4")

4. 3/25/1971: major ATL ZR (latest in season on record)

GSP, CLT, RDU: all had 5-7" of SIP from 0.80" to 1.1" liquid. All three changed to IP and then ZR. The % of liquid that was IP/ZR was ~40-50%.

5. 12/25/1943: major ATL ZR

a. CLT: major ZR ~1" liquid

b. GSO: 0.5"+ liquid of IP/ZR combo

6. 1/7/1940: major ATL ZR

a. GSO: moderate IP (mainly) with 0.4" accum./ from 0.28" liquid

b. CLT: moderate IP/ZR with 0.9" accum. from 0.57" liquid

c. RDU: IP and likely ZR, too, with T of accum. from 0.83". Must have been mainly ZR since only a T of accum.'s of IP and temp.'s 32 or lower

7. 12/16/1932: major ZR ATL

CLT: S/IP/ZR combo 1.30" liquid produced 3.8" S/IP. So, there was clearly a sig. portion that was IP/ZR.

8. 1/21/1918: major ATL ZR

I don't have detailed info for any NC/SC cities. However, the weather map suggests that most NC cities may very well have had mainly snow. I'll just assume that for now.

---------------------------------------------------

Summary/Conclusion:

All but storms #1 and #8 clearly had a significant to major IP/ZR component into parts of SC/NC. So, the geographical extent of sig. to major IP/ZR was pretty extensive for 6 of the 8 Miller A's being analyzed.

You rock... great research / write up.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You rock... great research / write up.

Cold Rain, 

I just did some additional research of CLT/RDU/GSP/GSO NWS data for Miller A's that produced major ZR or IP at ATL:

1. 2/17-18/1979: was a 4" IP at ATL that I later added (you may not have seen) that has been since referred to as "PD #1".

a. CLT: mostly snow but some IP the last few hours. 10" of S/IP from 1.30" liquid. 

b. RDU: almost all snow. 10.4" from 1.19" liquid. A little IP/ZR near the end.

c. GSP 8.2" of almost all snow from 0.8" liquid (some IP mixed in)

2. 2/6-7/1979: a major ATL ZR;  

a. CLT: After ~4-5" of snow, there was a major combo of IP and then ZR with ~1" total liquid equivalent for just the IP/ZR! Total storm liquid equiv. was 1.43"!

b.  After ~5" of snow, there was ~0.31" liquid equiv. of IP and then ZR. total storm liq. equiv. was 0.86".

3. 1/7-8/1973: one of worst ZR's ever at ATL.

a. CLT: 0.87" liquid; snow changed to IP; about a 50-50 mix liquid equiv. wise ; total S/IP 5.5"

b. RDU: 0.85" liquid; mainly snow (6.4")

4. 3/25/1971: major ATL ZR (latest in season on record)

GSP, CLT, RDU: all had 5-7" of SIP from 0.80" to 1.1" liquid. All three changed to IP and then ZR. The % of liquid that was IP/ZR was ~40-50%.

5. 12/25/1943: major ATL ZR

a. CLT: major ZR ~1" liquid

b. GSO: 0.5"+ liquid of IP/ZR combo

6. 1/7/1940: major ATL ZR

a. GSO: moderate IP (mainly) with 0.4" accum./ from 0.28" liquid

b. CLT: moderate IP/ZR with 0.9" accum. from 0.57" liquid

c. RDU: IP and likely ZR, too, with T of accum. from 0.83". Must have been mainly ZR since only a T of accum.'s of IP and temp.'s 32 or lower

7. 12/16/1932: major ZR ATL

CLT: S/IP/ZR combo 1.30" liquid produced 3.8" S/IP. So, there was clearly a sig. portion that was IP/ZR.

8. 1/21/1918: major ATL ZR

I don't have detailed info for any NC/SC cities. However, the weather map suggests that most NC cities may very well have had mainly snow. I'll just assume that for now.

---------------------------------------------------

Summary/Conclusion:

All but storms #1 and #8 clearly had a significant to major IP/ZR component into parts of SC/NC. So, the geographical extent of sig. to major IP/ZR was pretty extensive for 6 of the 8 Miller A's being analyzed.

Larry, that is awesome data.  Thanks for putting that together.  Very interesting to see it laid out like that. :)

Do you buy the two separate waves? That's a fairly unusual setup.

It is a bit unusual but not unprecedented. I will dig through the archives tonight and look up some instances.

Looks like round of overrunning and then then main low.

Honestly, I dont know right now and no one should say they do at this point, all the globals agree on a winter weather threat, but the nature and timing still ranges from Monday to Thursday! And from two waves to 1 big storm and from mostly ice to mostly snow, to both.

1028 high to the north trying to hang on but here comes the lakes low trying to kick the hp east.  Wedge is probably set up but will kill any snow.

one place you read that the models are trending colder for next week then you read where the low will kick the hp east.  also read where the lakes low isn't there anymore, so just wandering which is it      :whistle:

gsp won't put out anything about next week yet.  they are talking rain and snow right now but I have a feeling it will be mostly snow in the mtns. with some sleet at the end but by the end most the moisture has fallen as snow.  gsp still staying conservative.  I thought maybe a HWO might be out about next week but I guess its to early. 

are you talking mostly for your area or also the mtns. of NC?

My area thankfully stays all rain.  Just check out the GFS maps; mountains may be okay?  I know CLT suffered some 850 problems after the initial wave.  Might not be bad enough for ZR though for them.  Maybe sleet as burger noted.

Archived