Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

Well.........BHM isn't wasting any time after the last storm:

ALZ011>015-017-018-020-091200-
/O.NEW.KBMX.WS.A.0002.140211T0000Z-140211T1800Z/
MARION-LAMAR-FAYETTE-WINSTON-WALKER-BLOUNT-ETOWAH-CHEROKEE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAMILTON...SULLIGENT...VERNON...
FAYETTE...JASPER...ONEONTA...GADSDEN...CENTRE
234 PM CST SAT FEB 8 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
LATE TUESDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...FROM 6 PM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH NOON TUESDAY.

* LOCATION...AT THIS TIME...THE BEST POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
  SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE FOR
  LOCATIONS GENERALLY NORTH OF A LINE FROM MILLPORT TO ONEONTA TO
  CENTRE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR MORE THAN 2 INCHES OF
  SNOW AND SLEET COMBINED ACROSS THE WATCH AREA...AS WELL AS UP TO
  TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATION.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

granted I have not seen the thermal profile from the 12z ecmwf looking at just the 2m and 850 temps, I'm not sure I am liking what I am seeing for the upstate.  850's look to be right at freezing or a degree or 2 above from beyond 84hr with surface temps solidly below freezing with quite a bit of precip falling.  Sure hope this is sleet and not the "I" word.

DT said the EURO ensembles show all precip changing to rain in NC

Verbatim it still has the snow thump like the Op but then once the low gets to the coast the freezing line is running through RDU to the east of CLT, so everyone east of that is rain, but bulk of precip is before that. He really said that? I bet he said E-NC?

Everyone is agreeing the consistent Euro is probably the way to go- and the NAM is nothing like it later on. Can't have it both ways folks. NAM vs Euro? No contest.

I think most of the posters who have been around for any decent amount of time realize what the deal is. That being said just looking at the panels that Wow posted, even if for entertainment, are......jaw dropping!

Not sure what DT is seeing yet, I dont think individual members come out till later. The mean snowfall accumulation has actually increased on the 12z ECMWF ENS. At least graphically

It has most of NE GA, northern half of SC and pretty much all of NC except extrem eastern US, in the 4-8 inch mean area, and even an area of 8-12 mean totals in NW SC and the southern foothills/piedmont of NC.

Verbatim it still has the snow thump like the Op but then once the low gets to the coast the freezing line is running through RDU to the east of CLT, so everyone east of that is rain, but bulk of precip is before that. He really said that? I bet he said E-NC?

here is what he said.

bings the Low UP the coast and ON the coast .. NONE of this out to sea ****

all of NC gos over to rain on the euro ensembles and does all of central and eastern VA EAST of the Blue Ridge. But from ROA to Winchseter to Frdereick MD ... the Shenandoah valley - stays all snow

DCA BWI gets several inches of snow goes over to rain as does all of NJ DEL NYC most fo CT and eastern mass

I think most of the posters who have been around for any decent amount of time realize what the deal is. That being said just looking at the panels that Wow posted, even if for entertainment, are......jaw dropping!

I agree with your statement. The nam is the best, as shown now, but must temper excitement and listen to guidance. However, what a killer run!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because it was such a great dream run on the 18z nam, I checked the cobb bufkit data:

Winston-Salem: 14.5"

Greensboro: 14.7"

Charlotte: 9.6"

Hickory: 12.8"

Raleigh: 12.7"

Asheville: 15.3"

Here's a link if you want to check another site:

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=krdu

Not sure if anyone has posted this and if it has been posted if it has feel free to delete it. GSP has a hazardous weather statement for pretty much their entire area. 

I am new to following winter weather but I don't recall gsp putting out anything this significant this early before. Again I could be wrong

..TUESDAY...SNOW POSSIBLE. A FRONTAL BOUNDARY WILL SET UP OVER THE
REGION MONDAY NIGHT BETWEEN AN ARCTIC AIRMASS AND DEVELOPING LOW
PRESSURE OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO. ABUNDANT MOISTURE WILL SPREAD
OVER THE FRONT TUESDAY. THIS MAY RESULT IN SNOW FOR MUCH OF THE
AREA...WITH FREEZING RAIN ALSO POSSIBLE OVER THE PIEDMONT.
CONFIDENCE IS STILL FAIRLY LOW AS TO EXACTLY WHERE OR HOW MUCH
SNOW WILL DEVELOP...BUT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION MAY BE SIGNIFICANT.
POOR ROAD CONDITIONS MAY RESULT FROM SNOW AND ICE. MONITOR LATER
FORECASTS FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THIS EVENT.
..WEDNESDAY...WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE. THOUGH MANY AREAS WILL SEE
PRECIPITATION CHANGE TO RAIN DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY...A WINTRY
MIX MAY CONTINUE OVER PORTIONS OF THE AREA INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
..THURSDAY...WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE. LIGHT FREEZING RAIN MAY CONTINUE
THURSDAY MORNING BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN.

Before the Montana s/w came into the picture, 6z NAM totals were half the amount they were in the following runs...  I think this feature is what's kicking up the precip amts. Other models have this s/w as broken in pieces, weaker, or not existent.

This might be mean, but does anyone really care what DT is talking/ranting about anymore?

I care a little. I mean he's kind of delusional and incredibly unprofessional, but still kind of like him. I think that he is knowledgable, he's just, like I said, delusional too. On social media, he kind of does his own thing. He doesn't care what you think. And even though he comes off as unprofessional much of the time, I kind of respect him for that. For being that ballsy. Sorry for being off topic.

Archived