Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys since Jan 1988 has been tossed around a lot, I thought I woudl repost my case study on it

http://www.americanwx.com/models/raleighwx/studies/Jan1988.html

Alan,

Nice writeup! One clarification: the 3-4" at ATL-AHN was largely IP. That's a major reason the accumulations were much lower than in places further NW. KATL had over 0.80" of liquid equivalent. So, in my mind the 4" of mainly IP was more like 8" of snow and it had at least that kind of impact. I'm thinking something similar could happen with this storm if it were to verify similarly to the 12Z Euro/CMC/UKMET/JMA.

The initial wave weakens with a late phase attempt of the polar s/w moving in which in the previous runs was pulling the precip shield farther north with a phase back over the midwest. Without that phase, everything gets booted off shore.

Let's not go overboard.  It was still a decent run for most.

Agreed, but still the NAM is usually to far NW at this range and overly wet, so that wasn't a good run if you take that into account. Not to worried, want to see the RGEM and the globals first.  Also, want to see if the 4km NAM follows suit.

Wow, so now we're looking at a potential start time of Monday night.  That sure changes things.

Over the last couple of runs if the nam comes close to verifying.. there may be a band ahead of the main precip in southern va/nc. Redevelopment on the Lee side our area-- a band of flurries light snow starting from lunch time Monday then gradually more.

Archived