Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great video by Brad P.

i have heard yall talking about him a lot but since he is way out of my neck of the woods i have not really seen it. thanks for posting that - it was an awesome video. a lot of people could benefit by watching him explain things, esp the cliff diving off one model or the near "oh my we are going to get 17" of snow"

he explanation of the models, mean, sref, etc is spot on!!

18z GFS has well over an inch of liquid at RDU. Even if we cut this in half, with temps possible in the teens our snow ratios will be very high (15:1 or even 20:1). So we could still be looking at 10 inches of snow. We've seen this many times where the models ramp up precip totals. Man I really hope the GFS is showing the right setup. 

Snow Goose had alluded to the fact that in is experience this year the EURO would shift more N/W within 36 hours. Again, that's this season. Could it be the GFS is catching onto something with the ingest of new data? (I am not sure new data went into the 18Z.) The 0Z Euro will be "must see tv" for us tonight in north GA. If the trends are there, I am just going to start watching WV loops and watch the trends unfold. The players are almost all the way on the field.

Looks like the major difference is the interaction of the streams over TX and negative tilt through 250mb more than the overrunning. A little more and north AL and southern TN would be in play IMO. In fact, 700mb is saturated across entire SE for a long duration.

gfs_namer_048_700_rh_ht.gif

gfs_namer_054_700_rh_ht.gif

18z GFS has well over an inch of liquid at RDU. Even if we cut this in half, with temps possible in the teens our snow ratios will be very high (15:1 or even 20:1). So we could still be looking at 10 inches of snow. We've seen this many times where the models ramp up precip totals. Man I really hope the GFS is showing the right setup. 

Either way, the trends are awesome.

We have come full circle first love the euro hate the gfs, then love euro ensemble and canadian hate the euro/gfs, love the nam/canadian hate the euro/gfs, and now love the GFS hate the NAM/Canaidan. LOL

Seems like we go through this every time. It also adds to the confusion after the fact when trying to decipher which model performed the best.

GFS is fairly similar to the NAM with the exception of the degree of tilt to the trough. More vort energy falls back into the base of the trough on the GFS to make this happen. If too much energy strings out with the departing PV it won't have enough to make pull inland.  GFS is more neutral, allowing precip to be drawn in further inland.

You could do better than I by just being east. We'll still both be in the mid-teens during the entire event.

My first thought 2-3 days ago was this looked like a 1-3 incher around here. Look at the coastal snow bombs in 1980 (Not the two that hit us) LYH pulled 3-4 inches both times. Also Feb 89, 3 inches. 

There are examples of being missed, like Dec 89, but..

Archived