Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

CAE going with 1-2" for the central midlands  :lol: 

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
MODELS ARE ARE IN BETTER AGREEMENT FOR WINTER WEATHER DEVELOPING
TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. GIVEN HIGHER CONFIDENCE...HAVE INCREASED
POPS FOR LATE TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY.

AS BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IN THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN CONUS IS
FORECAST TO AMPLIFY LATE TUESDAY. SEVERAL WEAK SHORT WAVES
ROTATING THROUGH BASE OF TROUGH WILL TRIGGER THE DEVELOPMENT OF A
WEAK COASTAL LOW PRESSURE OFF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST IN AREA OF
BROAD UPPER LEVEL FORCING.

HIGH CONFIDENCE FOR COLD AIR TO SUPPORT WINTRY PRECIPITATION.
MODELS ARE IN BETTER AGREEMENT WITH SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE ARRIVING
TUESDAY AFTERNOON. PRECIPITATION TYPE APPEARS TO BE MAINLY SNOW
OR SLEET. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUPPORT A MIXTURE OF SNOW AND
SLEET ACROSS THE EASTERN PORTION OF THE FORECAST AREA. DEEPER COLD
AIR FARTHER WEST SUPPORTS MIXED PRECIP CHANGING TO ALL SNOW
TUESDAY NIGHT. HAVE INDICATED A WINTRY MIX IN THE EAST WITH
SNOW/SLEET AMOUNTS BETWEEN 2 AND 3 INCHES...AND 1 TO 2 INCHES
ACROSS THE CENTRAL MIDLANDS. ACCUMULATIONS DECREASE FARTHER WEST
AS MOISTURE DECREASES TOWARD THE PIEDMONT.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSW have been issued for most of the southeastern NC counties. Just got the alert on my phone. Also noticed that the projected totals for Tuesday night for here have changed from 3-5 to 6-9. Thats a pretty big jump in my opinion.

good heavens, nam gives a good but of frozen precip then switches to all snow, the event lasts well into weds.  it would be catastrophic.

For CHS, looks like through hr 75, it's about half and half freezing rain and sleet.  Then it's an epic snow/sleet battle after that, as round two moves in, which gives another push of warm air aloft and it's mainly sleet through the end of the model at hr 84 as it is still precipitating.

WSW have been issued for most of the southeastern NC counties. Just got the alert on my phone. Also noticed that the projected totals for Tuesday night for here have changed from 3-5 to 6-9. Thats a pretty big jump in my opinion.

I've been following for the better part of the day as well and I've noticed the WSW creep north and a bit west as well. I'm a good bit south of Raleigh and east. I expect something in the next run to firm up the details. I appreciate all the details guys.

Very surprised there wasn't more moisture associated with the NAM. For coastal areas of SC and GA it lasts a lonnnnng time.

Agree, this run seemed kinda off based on 250mb early on, and H5 & 250 as it stepped.  Jet in the later panels looked favorable for more intrusion into interior sections but that did not materialize.  Of note, it almost closes the southern stream shortwave off to two contours at 250mb.  While I do believe the chances of a complete constructive interaction of energy contained in the northern and southern streams has decreased, I do think at-least some energy will eject out ahead of the southern vort, and interact with energy coming down on the north pike.  This has support from 200 and 300mb setup, where the shortwave can clearly be seen ejecting into TX around day 2.5, with perturbations out ahead of it.

Not sure I like being under that probability of having more than 4" haha!

PS: FFC will issue Winter Storm WATCHES soon... For who, I'm not sure yet.

PSS: Tallahassee has already issued theirs for south GA/SE AL/Parts of FL panhandle for possibility of up to 0.2" of freezing rain followed by up to 0.5" of snow/sleet.

Fun times.

What kills me, is you only just moved up here, and already you've seen about you can see of our weather, but the mid Ga mangler.  I told you one was coming...I told you...but I didn't think you'd be right in the cross hairs...after just getting here.  I'm mean I've waited 40 years for this to come back, even moved closer to Macon...and here, you just get here, and you are in the cat bird seat, lol.  How can that be fair?  You better do your meteorological tricks and get Tony a real crushing snow this time :)  I want to see a foot of snow, in Ga. before they put me under my sled, lol.  Tony

I've been following for the better part of the day as well and I've noticed the WSW creep north and a bit west as well. I'm a good bit south of Raleigh and east. I expect something in the next run to firm up the details. I appreciate all the details guys.

Fury, Unless runs come in drier I expect you might see WSW go up for Scotland, Cumberland, Johnston, Wilson, Edgecombe, and points south and east of there by late tonight early tomorrow morning

Very surprised there wasn't more moisture associated with the NAM. For coastal areas of SC and GA it lasts a lonnnnng time.

Yesterday we were clinging to the nam b/c it was the only model showing anything. Today we still need to remember it's the nam past 48 hours and is essentially worthless lol. At this point I would following the gfs/euro compromise.

Yesterday we were clinging to the nam b/c it was the only model showing anything. Today we still need to remember it's the nam past 48 hours and is essentially worthless lol. At this point I would following the gfs/euro compromise.

The 18z RGEM at 54 hours actually has more precip and is further north a bit than the 18z NAM.

The door just closed a little more for the ATLANTA metro area. There is a justified hope for a better outcome but it sure doesn't look good for us IMO.

i would love to see this trend up that way for snow, so I can get in the sleet line.  I'd love to have my snow undercut with sleet.  Probably the only one but there you are.  Things still in play, I'd say, could be a bust for us, could get better :)  I'm waiting to see Goofy at midnight before I let the excitement creep in...I remember too vividly what happen in 73.  Weather will put in the shrive, and give it a twist, and laugh at you :)  Best to expect to get screwed, lol.  T

Archived