• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

If it can push that vort 50 miles east a lot of folks will be in business. Still another step in the right direction. 

Thats the difference between it sharpening up the trough and really getting precip inland, but good news is it looks very promising for people east of 95 to see a really great winter event.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, didn't Atlanta have an overrunning event during Jan 2011 because Atlanta got hit with a very thin, very heavy band of snow that just randomly developed over it from West to East. I'd say rates were 2-3 inches maybe for a good hour or so.

Jan 2011 was definitely an overrunning event, but it was hardly a thin band. It was a major, 12 hour snow that socked all of North Georgia with 6-8", especially north of the city. There were some heavy bands that dropped 2" per hour that moved over the north half of Georgia.

I think it varies by the local NWS sites in terms of lead time and criteria, but here is Birminghams for reference. 

· Winter Weather Watch (WSW)

A "Winter Storm Watch" will be issued when conditions are favorable for hazardous winter weather conditions to develop.  Unlike a Tornado Watch or a Severe Thunderstorm Watch, Winter Storm Watches are issued by the local office.  Generally, this type of watch is issued for weather conditions that could occur 12 to 48 hours in the future.  Information in the watch will include the affected area, the weather threat involved, potential precipitation amounts, explanation of what a watch is, the uncertainty involved, precautions recommended, and the storm's potential impact. NWS Birmingham issues a Winter Storm Watch when one or more of the following is possible (50% or greater confidence) during the next 12 to 48 hours:

• Snowfall of greater than 2 inches in 12 hours
  • Accumulation of freezing rain (ice) greater than 1/4".
  • Accumulation of sleet (ice pellets) 1" or greater.

· Winter Weather Warning (WSW)

A "Winter Storm Warning" is issued when a combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring, is imminent, or is expected.  Winter Storm Warnings are issued when one or more of the following is expected:

• Heavy snow and blowing snow (near blizzard conditions)
  • Snow and Ice
  • Heavy snow (snowfall amounts greater than 2 inches in a 12 hour period
  • Sleet accumulations of 1 inch or greater
  • Sleet and Ice
  • Snow, Sleet and Ice

Quick question. What does the NWS use for WS watch and WS warning criteria? What are their timelines for placing those generally?

Hoping the Euro's tendency for the winter up north is now occurring for you guys, it's been consistently too far East and dry all winter with everything up this way

From your keyboard to the Almighty's snow-blower! Have the higher numbers than expected been as a result of under-estimating QPF, or that the storms were colder, so high totals per volume?

From your keyboard to the Almighty's snow-blower! Have the higher numbers than expected been as a result of under-estimating QPF, or that the storms were colder, so high totals per volume?

It's been underestimating QPF until about 24-36 hours out and it's been too south and east beyond that period overall

I'm just now catching up on 8 pages worth of discussion since I left the house this morning around 9 AM.  I have one simple request:

Could those of you that post maps/images/etc. please provide discussion or an explanation with it?  An image alone is not very helpful if you have to hunt through all the fine print to figure out what it is your looking at.  Which model is it?  Which model run is it?  Which hour of the forecast is it?  Are we looking at total precip or 12-hour precip?

I know everyone is in a hurry to post the next greatest image before someone else can beat you to it, but the descriptions are what make the posts worthwhile.  Please take the time to at least explain what it is we're looking at, even if you don't want to add your own analysis to it.

Thank you.

And, thanks to all those who have faithfully reported the ups and downs of this morning's model runs.  It appears that KHKY will once again be on the outside looking in, but there are still roughly 60+ hours worth of changes that could occur.  So, my interest remains piqued.  On to the later runs...

Big question on the SREF now. Does it stay bullish and lead the way or will fall back?

That is the million dollar question. Not only the SREF but will such trends continue with 18z and 0z runs too.

It would really be dissapointing if the euro is right about hanging the low over the baja for nearly a week without much interaction in the NS to end up a widespread rain next weekend in the SE :axe:

I'm not a big fan of the nam-hires but just something else to look at and just for fun

But notice how much does not reach the ground. It's an "epic" virga storm. nam has been hinting at this for a while...

The NAM does not do well with overrunning events.  Look at the 700 RH over 90% to get a better idea where precip will be making it to the ground.

The SREF is still hammering NW Carolinas and Upstate GA. What's up there?

i have been trying to figure that out as well.  at one point looked like a trough in the area.  it looks odd to have it here and nothing around us.  other thought is maybe a "reveverse upslople" (yeah i made that up lol) where the higher elevation here is able to wring out some moisture.  sometimes a leeside trough develops but i dont think its usually in this set up

For KCHS, 12z GFS Meteostar is insanely warm at 850/925mb level, and would indicate pretty much all ZR with SFC temperatures below 0C pretty much throughout the event.   I seriously think the warm nosing is highly overdone in this case, don't know why really, considering both the SLP and SHP are both in classical locations for snow vs ice in this scenario.    

You can see the southerly winds at 850mb here (coastal SC).  Unfortunately, you don't have the closed 850mb low passing to your south like you did with the Feb 2010 storm.

sp31.gif

Archived