• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

historically things shift and being in the bulls eye days out is horribly disappointing at the end.  but i am just not confident in the shift this time like a couple of years ago when that would happen.

Yep we've been burned many times being in the bulls eye but not feeling this shift that we need is going to happen. Hopefully we can get a finger running out in front on the NW side as has happened many times and at least pick up a dusting. Usually don't see this depicted until we get inside 24hrs though.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be some fun sledding snow due to the blanket of sleet underneath. 

Yes it would, hell I would be in wall to wall coverage..hahahaha  btw, I do think the NAM is way overdone with QPF, BUT I have seen where it does really good with over-running setups like this.  In fact, like someone said before, I have seen the front end QPF be higher since models struggle with it.

I'm not buying the amounts of precip that the NAM is showing. I've always heard that the NAM model is usually way overdone on QPF amounts. Any truth to that?

Given the big run-to-run changes, it's probably not a good idea to start talking totals, but the trends are encouraging for the entire SE.

Yes it would, hell I would be in wall to wall coverage..hahahaha  btw, I do think the NAM is way overdone with QPF, BUT I have seen where it does really good with over-running setups like this.  In fact, like someone said before, I have seen the front end QPF be higher since models struggle with it.

Yea I think as we get closer folks near me will be happy. Even if we can squeeze out 3 inches it's a huge win. 

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service
EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)
from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.
NOUS42 KWNO 261526
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1525Z SUN JAN 26 2014

NCEP HAS NOTED SOME COMPUTING DELAYS AT THE END OF THE 12Z NAM
AND CASCADING INTO OTHER MODELS IN THE 12Z SUITE...SYSTEM
ANALYSTS ARE INVESTIGATING THE SITUATION HOPING TO MITIGATE ANY
FURTHER DELAYS.  ANOTHER NOTICE WILL FOLLOW WITH MORE INFORMATION
IF DELAYS ARE MITIGATED OR THEY CONTINUE WITH THE 12Z SUITE...OUR
APOLOGIES FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

I'm guessing it's mainly how it handles the southern energy? My bigger fear is that that energy gets shunted south with the western energy moving east ever so slightly. 12z was reassuring but I guess we'll see what the GFS and Euro have to say. 

Hard to tell as the wx Canada graphics cutoff the bottom half of TX.  Just comparing 48hrs on 0z to 36 this run, it does look like the energy does a better job ejecting out of the Baja, initial 700mb RH plume is off the SE Coast by this time, but there is evidence precip would start to gather in TX as the wave begin to interact.  Big thing I noticed on the NAM around 60hrs was the orientation of the southern shortwave, it was more towards neutral which would help it move more ene, as opposed to just due east.

Given the big run-to-run changes, it's probably not a good idea to start talking totals, but the trends are encouraging for the entire SE.

The only sure bet is if the nam is right on this event it's amounts are too high, how high is tough to say because we have no other models yet showing the same idea it would help a lot if we had the GFS or euro to compare amounts since they are more reasonable on QPF

The only sure bet is if the nam is right on this event it's amounts are too high, how high is tough to say because we have no other models yet showing the same idea it would help a lot if we had the GFS or euro to compare amounts since they are more reasonable on QPF

Yeah, for sure. I think the location of the precip shield and the gradations are more important than the exact amounts. Regardless, for eastern NC and eastern SC, even if you cut the amounts in half, it's still a pretty good storm.

Hard to tell as the wx Canada graphics cutoff the bottom half of TX.  Just comparing 48hrs on 0z to 36 this run, it does look like the energy does a better job ejecting out of the Baja, initial 700mb RH plume is off the SE Coast by this time, but there is evidence precip would start to gather in TX as the wave begin to interact.  Big thing I noticed on the NAM around 60hrs was the orientation of the southern shortwave, it was more towards neutral which would help it move more ene, as opposed to just due east.

Thanks! I usually just wait for Meteogram images to come out when looking at the RGEM. 

NCEP HAS NOTED SOME COMPUTING DELAYS AT THE END OF THE 12Z NAM

AND CASCADING INTO OTHER MODELS IN THE 12Z SUITE...SYSTEM

ANALYSTS ARE INVESTIGATING THE SITUATION HOPING TO MITIGATE ANY

FURTHER DELAYS.  ANOTHER NOTICE WILL FOLLOW WITH MORE INFORMATION

IF DELAYS ARE MITIGATED OR THEY CONTINUE WITH THE 12Z SUITE...OUR

APOLOGIES FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

FYI GFS has now began rolling. 

historically things shift and being in the bulls eye days out is horribly disappointing at the end.  but i am just not confident in the shift this time like a couple of years ago when that would happen.

Yep we've been burned many times being in the bulls eye but not feeling this shift that we need is going to happen. Hopefully we can get a finger running out in front on the NW side as has happened many times and at least pick up a dusting. Usually don't see this depicted until we get inside 24hrs though.

there are some frames that show a finger moving NE into ne ga, the upstate and part of sw nc - a lot i think are hoping for the biggie and may be disappointed.  i will be happy to see some snow fall and turn things white lol (although yes i would love a good thumping)

Archived