• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

I think as long as the flow gets "backed" to the SW at 500mb, then there will be at least light qpf where the models are showing this.  I still think there is a little room to come NW with the qpf over bama and GA through about RDU and CLT.  NW of there, IMO this isn't gonna be your storm

With all due respect. The way the models have been from one extreme to the other with just last couple runs seeing "better trends". Its still too early to call this anybodys storm imo. Not till the trends are fully caught onto and clear cut consistency from model run to model run. There is still too many questions left un answered to say this is the sweet spot or there is the sweet spot.

As far as we all know this could surprise all of us by doing a complete 360... turning this into a heavy mountain snowstorm. But by 0z and 6z tonight and tomorrow should have some clear cut consistent runs.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Maue's Opinion

Based on GFS ptype & 850 mb temps 3-4°C, expecting freezing rain & pellets rather than fluffy/wet snow for Carolinas http://t.co/PTwiF8HCeF

Twitter image

Yeah this has always been an IP/ZR storm for the GA/SC coast...the NC coastal plain has more of a chance at mostly snow IMO, look at how the ZR just cuts off in NC and it's IP only. I imagine mostly snow for NC, save extreme south east coastal counties, per the GFS.

With all due respect. The way the models have been from one extreme to the other with just last couple runs seeing "better trends". Its still too early to call this anybodys storm imo. Not till the trends are fully caught onto and clear cut consistency from model run to model run. There is still too many questions left un answered to say this is the sweet spot or there is the sweet spot.

As far as we all know this could surprise all of us by doing a complete 360... turning this into a heavy mountain snowstorm. But by 0z and 6z tonight and tomorrow should have some clear cut consistent runs.

I understand that there is wiggle room left in the models, but I just don't see this getting back all the way to lets say HSV CHA GSP and AVL....The setup doesn't favor them right now on this solution.  

Does anyone know anything about that CRAS Model?  It hammers C NC and W NC.  It's way inland with rain for most of SC and south and east of Raleigh.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/model_l.html

I'm guessing it's just a BS model, though.  It does give DC snow, so maybe it is realistic considering the way things have trended for the Mid-Atlantic this year, LMAO.

The GFS now appears to be the NW outlier with respects to the precipitation shield in NC with the NAM a close second. The rest of the guidance keeps the precip confined to the coastal plain/immediate coast. Best I can tell, the GFS drops about .20 qpf around RDU up to my backyard...but much higher and lesser amounts are only ~30 miles away in each direction.

There's going to be a lot of whaling and gnashing of teeth for central NC snow lovers the next two days.

Does anyone know anything about that CRAS Model? It hammers C NC and W NC. It's way inland with rain for most of SC and south and east of Raleigh.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/model_l.html

I'm guessing it's just a BS model, though.

It is a BS model but much like the NAM at 84 hours and the NOGAPS it's very useful due to having a big west bias, I've seen it tracks lows over NYC when we had 40/70 tracks that gave us snow it tends to be 50-100 miles west of reality much of the time, in this case it's about where I'd expect to see it down south and way west of where I would expect it up in the mid Atlantic and northeast

Nice graphic from Mike Dross at Wright-Weather

12Z NAM Total Snowfall. #NCwx #SCwx #GAwx #FLwx http://t.co/tyaTPEsaAu

Just a 50 mile NW shift at this point would put my area at 3-5 inches. I'm so glad I live towards the East and South of the metro...usually I get burned for it. I think the amounts are going to vary so much in the Atlanta metro just because of how large and expansive it is. North suburbs might not get much, while the South suburbs do a lot better.

It is a BS model but much like the NAM at 84 hours and the NOGAPS it's very useful due to having a big west bias, I've seen it tracks lows over NYC when we had 40/70 tracks that gave us snow it tends to be 50-100 miles west of reality much of the time, in this case it's about where I'd expect to see it down south and way west of where I would expect it up in the mid Atlantic and northeast

Interesting.  Thanks.  I've seen it posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum a few times and wasn't sure.

Even if current depictions held I think ATL would see more snow because the overrunning would generate more precipitation than most guidance shows

Do you think overrunning will generate more precip further westward up into upstate SC and central (or even western) NC, as well?

IIRC, there was some serious overrunning with the Christmas/Boxing Day Storm in 2010 which allowed places like Hickory to record over a half-foot of snow.

It's interesting what you noted earlier about the Canadian because it had the storm pretty similar to what is now being shown by the GFS and NAM (actually, it was a little further west, but still) and now it has nearly lost it.

Interesting. Thanks. I've seen it posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum a few times and wasn't sure.

Do you think overrunning will generate more precip further westward up into upstate SC and central (or even western) NC, as well?

IIRC, there was some serious overrunning with the Christmas/Boxing Day Storm in 2010 which allowed places like Hickory to record over a half-foot of snow.

Not as sure there, I'm more worried near NRN GA because any WSW or SW flow aloft for them is upslope and tends to be missed in these systems by models on occasion

For KCHS, 12z GFS Meteostar is insanely warm at 850/925mb level, and would indicate pretty much all ZR with SFC temperatures below 0C pretty much throughout the event.   I seriously think the warm nosing is highly overdone in this case, don't know why really, considering both the SLP and SHP are both in classical locations for snow vs ice in this scenario.    

Yeah... .50 to RDU and .25 to CLT

Across the board wetter, the coast is wetter too.  0.75" line almost to RDU, actually really close to Cold Rain.

If a single other global model agreed it would give some credence, but it's all alone right now.  Not even the JMA.  Well I guess the CRAS model agrees, whatever that is.

CHS is supposed to get into the 60s on Monday, the day before all of this is supposed to happen. The Mon temps may affect things farther south.

noticed that, but the same thing essentially happened in Feb 1973, with KCHS high the previous day was 57 before the storm came in that year.   was in the 20's, started out as IP/ZR and transitioned to snow, storm total 7.1".

Archived